Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Blackout

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

thisisatest
thisisatest

PhillipM wrote:I'd expect the ends to be coated with that perhaps, seems a bit strange to do the entire shaft though.
it looks like kashima coat (or similar)
http://www.kashima-coat.com/pdf/English_pamphlet.pdf
some coatings have to be applied to the entire part.
http://www.bikerumor.com/2011/06/23/new ... ion-tools/

thestig84
thestig84

Little snippet from the person I know who was out there for Mclaren. JB was fuel saving since lap 10.

I just hope if they used the extra pace/more fuel the tyres would suffer even more quickly than RB.

bhall
bhall

A little snippet from an article in Autosport?

thestig84
thestig84

bhallg2k wrote:A little snippet from an article in Autosport?
No, from someone who emailed me before going to bed at 4am after packing up for a nights sleep before flying to Malaysia tomorrow thank you. Check my history on Mclaren calls if you dont believe me, didnt know autosport had made it public with that article.

munudeges
munudeges

Whitmarsh said that they were saving fuel since lap 8.

Sorry, but I'm not buying the bravado. Regardless of how good the chassis is the short shifting and effect on top speed and acceleration would have been immediately obvious. Given that there was also a safety car period there is no way that McLaren were going to misjudge fuel consumption as they are saying.

Pup
Pup

Seg, don't you have enough on your plate trolling the Atlas forum about that?

NathanOlder

But it was obvious, first 10 laps Mclaren were running away, both of them. Then the were matched by the Red Bulls. The proof is right there
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Pup
Pup

Well, not really. Vettel started matching the McLarens the lap after Schumacher retired, and I doubt that's a coincidence.

But from the radio chatter, we know that the Macs were both on fuel settings 3 and 4, which we know from last year are their fuel saving modes.

munudeges
munudeges

Atlas forums? :roll: Some people..............

beelsebob
beelsebob

Pup wrote:Well, not really. Vettel started matching the McLarens the lap after Schumacher retired, and I doubt that's a coincidence.

But from the radio chatter, we know that the Macs were both on fuel settings 3 and 4, which we know from last year are their fuel saving modes.
Vettel matching the McLaren's while the McLarens are in fuel 4 is hardly that impressive.

Pup
Pup

munudeges wrote:Atlas forums? :roll: Some people..............
Well you should talk to that cilurnum guy over there then because he's been copying and pasting your posts for years.

Pup
Pup

beelsebob wrote:
Pup wrote:Well, not really. Vettel started matching the McLarens the lap after Schumacher retired, and I doubt that's a coincidence.

Vettel matching the McLaren's while the McLarens are in fuel 4 is hardly that impressive.
No, but it hints at the same problem McLaren have had for a few years now which is the relatively thirsty Mercedes lumps.

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

You forget that after he was brought down to a low 1.Xs lead over Vettel after the first pit who was running soft tyres (and was only able to close because McLaren wouldn't let Lewis have new Tyres till Button said so), Hamilton was able to create and maintain a 2 second plus gap on that same stint while he was running the medium tyres.

That's the total opposite of what should have been happening.

When it came to the second stop, Lewis needed tyres, but once again literally had to wait for Button to decide go in first (hence the double stop), losing him time.

If he was actually allowed to come into the pit for tyres when he actually needed them, as opposed to having to wait for Button to pit even when Buttons pit window was many laps later, Vettel would not have been able to take second place. That's why Lewis wasn't smiling. The team screwed him out of where he should have finished.

Back on topic, Hamilton was able to create an extra second gap over Vettel on the slower tyres with the MP4-27.

When Vettel pushed behind Lewis, he extended the gap.

When Vettel pushed behind Button, he set fastest laps.

munudeges
munudeges

Really? I'd rather not get off-topic with pointless nonsense in all honesty.

The fact is that McLaren has known how thirsty their Mercedes engines are for years, and that it's probably the most efficient engine out there. They have had no such problems and I cannot see any possible way in which such a miscalculation could occur. I don't see any real purpose for McLaren's statements to the media.