Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
beelsebob
beelsebob

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

munudeges wrote:Really? I'd rather not get off-topic with pointless nonsense in all honesty.

The fact is that McLaren has known how thirsty their Mercedes engines are for years, and that it's probably the most efficient engine out there. They have had no such problems and I cannot see any possible way in which such a miscalculation could occur. I don't see any real purpose for McLaren's statements to the media.
The way a misscalculation would occur is trivial... You enter the wrong expected fuel burn... or you misstype the track length... or you enter 1 lap too few in the system... Remember – the people running these teams are humans, they make human errors.

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

munudeges wrote:Really? I'd rather not get off-topic with pointless nonsense in all honesty.

The fact is that McLaren has known how thirsty their Mercedes engines are for years, and that it's probably the most efficient engine out there. They have had no such problems and I cannot see any possible way in which such a miscalculation could occur. I don't see any real purpose for McLaren's statements to the media.
Fuel saving mode isn't just for saving fuel.

Not pushing the engine to its limits when you have a clearly unbeatable lead means you finish the race with an engine that was coasting around the track while other teams/drivers have engines that were getting battered, reducing their reliability and efficiency.

A fresher engine means you can push harder later in the season, which is usually where that little extra bit of reliability, speed and confidence in your equipment can make all the difference.

I see it as possibly a decision made for the long run, not specifically just for the circumstances of this race.

myurr
myurr

beelsebob wrote:

The way a misscalculation would occur is trivial... You enter the wrong expected fuel burn... or you misstype the track length... or you enter 1 lap too few in the system... Remember – the people running these teams are humans, they make human errors.
More importantly the team didn't really know what pace the cars would be running at. Average lap time plus overall length of the race in time will vary the amount of fuel used. We're probably talking being out by a couple of percent, but that's more than enough to have them worrying about it.

munudeges
munudeges

Yes, teams do turn down the engines once they have enough of a lead to save them and the gearbox. However, to me that is nothing out of the ordinary and is done as a matter of course. They know very well what pace the cars are running at and it wasn't a particularly fast race. It isn't getting your calculations wrong and I just don't know why McLaren feels the need to drop the hint to be honest. It's a little....odd.

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

munudeges wrote:Yes, teams do turn down the engines once they have enough of a lead to save them and the gearbox. However, to me that is nothing out of the ordinary and is done as a matter of course. They know very well what pace the cars are running at and it wasn't a particularly fast race. It isn't getting your calculations wrong and I just don't know why McLaren feels the need to drop the hint to be honest. It's a little....odd.
Almost everything they say is mind games, especially JB.

He'll for instance make it look like he's struggling at a certain time, then all of a sudden be dangerous once he gets on track.

People will be talking about how other teams were closing in on them as time went on, so they're making a statement that they weren't even pushing in order to downplay the notion that they will be caught later in races.

This can be "backed up" by the fact that Hamilton created a 2 second gap from Vettel on slower tyres, and how Button basically decided to setting fast(est) laps once the safety car let Vettel get closer to him.

Tbh though, trusting what the drivers/principals say 100% isn't worth doing. With all the politics and attempts to misdirect other teams going on, you're better off just taking it for what it is and watching the races as they come to make your own conclusions.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Awewsome shot of the FW. Right click>view image

Pup
Pup

I think that's a W-duct there on the ground next to the jack. Must have fallen off.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Pup wrote:I think that's a W-duct there on the ground next to the jack. Must have fallen off.
Still not convinced eh?
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Dann
Dann

Mr. Whitmarsh said they had to switch to fuel-saving mode from lap 8 onwards proves that they miscalculated the FC. Had safety car not deployed, they could've been in deep problem.

bhall
bhall

It will be a shame when cascade wings are banned. They're just starting to get really, really interesting.

n_anirudh
n_anirudh

raymondu999

Dann wrote:Courtesy of Daily Telegraph;

Not that Button believes in fate. He joked afterwards that he has stayed in the same room in the same hotel during each of his three wins here — the only exception being 2011 when he moved rooms and didn’t win the race.

Has he already booked in for next year? “Maybe I should,” he laughed.
Not the place to be discussing this.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

thisisatest
thisisatest

Dann wrote:Mr. Whitmarsh said they had to switch to fuel-saving mode from lap 8 onwards proves that they miscalculated the FC. Had safety car not deployed, they could've been in deep problem.
part of the original calculation may have counted on a safety car. i dont have the stats, but i think safety car deployment is relatively common in australia.

raymondu999

It is quite often we see one. The question is just when - the time of deployment isn't very predictable for Australia.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Nando
Nando

That was because they calculated the fuel wrong. The cars had plenty of fuel in them.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."