Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
raymondu999

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

They calculated the fuel wrong? You mean heir fuel gauge was giving a faulty readout? They actually had enough fuel but their gauge said they didn't? Or how? I'm not sure I follow.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Dann
Dann

He could mean that they under-fuel the car due to wrong input/assumptions/parameters, etc in the calculations.

raymondu999

But why then would Nando go on to say "The cars had plenty of fuel in them?" If they underfueled due to wrong input/assumptions/parameters (possible) they'd have less fuel - not plenty fuel
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Nando
Nando

raymondu999 wrote:They calculated the fuel wrong? You mean heir fuel gauge was giving a faulty readout? They actually had enough fuel but their gauge said they didn't? Or how? I'm not sure I follow.
My mistake, they could have went even quicker had it not been for a fuel calculation mistake.
A bit more fuel and they probably would have been even quicker.

What i was impressed by was that Hamilton on mediums kept the same pace as Vettel on softs for a while.
And being in fuel savings mode. I wonder how that would have looked with both on Softs and not fuel savings mode.

(I read the article a bit to quick)
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

raymondu999

Ah. Difficult to say though. The heavier fuel would have increased tyre wear and slowed them down by virtue of being heavier.

Wasn't Hamilton only keeping pace after the first 14 or so laps though? For the first 14 or so laps Vettel was mighty quick - quicker than Lewis - just that he couldn't pull the pass off. What really got me thinking was that Vettel's 2nd stint was longer than the Mclarens' 2nd stint. Despite being on a shorter-life tyre.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

AnthonyG

How could they calculate the fuel wrong? A whole weekend to test the fuel consumption and after 7 laps racing they see they'll have a shortage.
To be honnest, sounds like a lot of BS.
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

xpensive
xpensive

n_anirudh wrote: Image
Again, I simply cannot get enough of the image of the MP4-27 nose-job, when everybody else accepts the ghoulish duck-nose,
the McLaren engineers finds an aesthetically pleasing solution, a winning one at that. =D>
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Coefficient
Coefficient

AnthonyG wrote:How could they calculate the fuel wrong? A whole weekend to test the fuel consumption and after 7 laps racing they see they'll have a shortage.

I agree. All the teams swtich the engine mode to less aggressive setting once they are in a comfortable position. Mclaren were in a comfortable postion within a handful of laps so they could start thinking about engine sympathy etc much earlier than others. Red Bull did the same thing last year and they probably did it yesterday too but TV doesn't comment on the your engine mode if you're not leading.

I think Mclaren showed that the 27 is a class act, you only need to look at the nature Button's fastest lap when Vettel gave chase towards the end. A quick flex from Button was enough to tell Vettel that it wasn't going to happen.

If Mclaren can keep adding a couple of tenths here and there they'll be looking good for the title and it could be a real head to head between the 2 Brits.

Interesting to see that the 27 has retained the stiff front end characteristic. Is this a necessity brought about by the low nose philosphy?
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

Trocola
Trocola

AnthonyG wrote:How could they calculate the fuel wrong? A whole weekend to test the fuel consumption and after 7 laps racing they see they'll have a shortage.
They didn't do too many laps on friday, and some of that laps were on a wet track. So they didn' get too much information.

On sunday, it could be hot or cold, the track can have more or less grip... All of that affects FC

Trocola

lebesset
lebesset

sorry if i have missed any comment about the lengthy scrutineering after the race , reportedly the nose height being marginal
what would have happened if it had rained ? the wet tyres make the car ride higher
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

raymondu999

It was the front wing heiht not the nose height. But all those heights are relative to the reference plane so it would all still be ok.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Coefficient
Coefficient

Red Bull gives you wings. Lucozade gives you wins.

Did anybody else pick up on the rumour mill during the TV coverage that Mclaren have been experimenting with a similar device in use on the Merc? Do we know which device it refers to? I watched the SKY coverage at my Dads house and then went home and watched the BBC version and I can't recall which one leaked the rumour.

Incidentally, after a back to back of both shows I preferred the BBC coverage. Coulthard is a more interesting person than Brundle imho and less opinionated. He has a certain wide eyed child like wonder about the sport which is quite charming.

Anyway, back to the 27. Does anyone know what the front wing was allegedly doing in order to vex the scrutineers?
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

burlyman
burlyman

Coefficient wrote:Red Bull gives you wings. Lucozade gives you wins.

Did anybody else pick up on the rumour mill during the TV coverage that Mclaren have been experimenting with a similar device in use on the Merc? Do we know which device it refers to? I watched the SKY coverage at my Dads house and then went home and watched the BBC version and I can't recall which one leaked the rumour.

Incidentally, after a back to back of both shows I preferred the BBC coverage. Coulthard is a more interesting person than Brundle imho and less opinionated. He has a certain wide eyed child like wonder about the sport which is quite charming.

Anyway, back to the 27. Does anyone know what the front wing was allegedly doing in order to vex the scrutineers?
McLaren have been running a deflecting front wing since last year that lowers the angle of attack at speed. Serves a similar purpose as Mercedes' rumoured RW F-Duct, unknown which is more efficient. There are some pictures that seem to show the FW doing the same thing in Australia.

scarlet
scarlet

burlyman wrote:
McLaren have been running a deflecting front wing since last year that lowers the angle of attack at speed. Serves a similar purpose as Mercedes' rumoured RW F-Duct, unknown which is more efficient. There are some pictures that seem to show the FW doing the same thing in Australia.
Are there? I saw one photo in testing where it was really obvious, but nothing else, even when the Macca was at the end of the straights. I'm guessing that photo in testing may have been a one off. Happy to be proved wrong if anyone can find any other photos from Australia though...

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

scarlet wrote:
burlyman wrote:
Are there? I saw one photo in testing where it was really obvious, but nothing else, even when the Macca was at the end of the straights. I'm guessing that photo in testing may have been a one off. Happy to be proved wrong if anyone can find any other photos from Australia though...
viewtopic.php?p=323615#p323615
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)