New Videos

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
siskue2005

Re: New Videos

Sorry I quoted the f2003 around legumes seca lap
What I was asking is, why does he need to have full lock at the final corner there?
I have not seen other non f1 cars do that, maybe you need more lock for f1 cars to negotiate crock screw corner?

bhall
bhall

Conor Daly's ride in Monaco.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXszF6m_ew8[/youtube]

jdlyon
jdlyon

bhallg2k wrote:Conor Daly's ride in Monaco.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXszF6m_ew8[youtube]
Looks very similar to the Senna / Schumi accident in Barcelona.
Last edited by mx_tifoso on 27 May 2012, 02:32, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: disabled youtube tags. no need to quote a video so soon.

rjsa
rjsa

Two idiots. One trying to hold on without a wing and the other forcing his way knowing the guy ahead is up to no good.

strad

Man,,,I agree,,,That was spooky and very much the lead cars fault. The guy behind can make as many moves, right and left as he likes but the guy in front only gets one.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

jdlyon
jdlyon

strad wrote:
Man,,,I agree,,,That was spooky and very much the lead cars fault. The guy behind can make as many moves, right and left as he likes but the guy in front only gets one.
I can see how people hold differing opinions. Both Suranovich now and Senna before start moving back to the outside but they always leave space. However, I suspect that in these instances the trajectory tricks the following driver into thinking he will continue to block the outside.

For example, you can see clearly in this video (0:45 - 0:48) that there was always space for Conor on the outside. It was the same for Michael in Spain. However in both cases the lead driver starts to turn back leading to a last minute reaction from the following driver that ultimately leads to the accident.

I think Suranovich was a little more justified under the "one-move" rule because the back strait at Monaco is curved... I suspect that he always had the steering wheel right of center. It doesn't much matter though because in each instance both drivers were taken out of the race.

rjsa
rjsa

No one really noticed the guy in front had no rear wing? In Monaco?

Is that the new trend in GP3?

bhall
bhall

Indeed. That the guy in front had lost his rear wing is the real head-scratcher. He had no hope of maintaining track position, and therefore, he had no reason to be so defensive.

Red Schneider
Red Schneider

Disagree. It was clumsy but Monaco is the one place he had a chance to maintain position, at least for a while. If he could have kept Daly behind out of the tunnel he probably would have kept him behind to the end of the lap. How much that is worth I guess is another question.

bhall
bhall

The man's race was over. (It was a mistake for me to merely say that he had no chance of maintaining his position.)

He should have driven accordingly.

ArchAngel

bhallg2k wrote:Conor Daly's ride in Monaco.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXszF6m_ew8
Scary sh!t. Good thing the car didn't flip over the fencing. Those marshals should've been quicker to duck for cover!

Red Schneider
Red Schneider

bhallg2k wrote:The man's race was over. (It was a mistake for me to merely say that he had no chance of maintaining his position.)

He should have driven accordingly.
True, true. I was momentarily living in a world where rear wings can quickly be replaced during pit stops. Guess I'm exposing my hard-racing ethos.

But when everybody says 'one move,' what they mean is that you can 1) go defensive down the inside, and then 2) swoop back to the racing line leaving a car's width on the outside, right? Fuzzy terminology to me.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

I'm surprised they haven't devised a way to quickly change rear wings yet, in a similar fashion to their front counterparts.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

bhall
bhall

Red Schneider wrote:True, true. I was momentarily living in a world where rear wings can quickly be replaced during pit stops. Guess I'm exposing my hard-racing ethos.
For me, it was my propensity to exhibit a staggering lack of attention to detail.

Red Schneider
Red Schneider

mx_tifoso wrote:I'm surprised they haven't devised a way to quickly change rear wings yet, in a similar fashion to their front counterparts.
I'm not an engineer, but my economics background leads me to believe that the marginal benefit of devising such a system would be considerably less than that of developing the car.