2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
WhiteBlue

Re: Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

I believe that there could be a loop hole if you inject water into the the exhaust gas return. In my view the wording of the rules is ambigous regarding that point. But other users here have taken opposite points of view. We will have to wait and see.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

langwadt
langwadt

garrett wrote:One question about the cooling: After Niki Lauda mentioned it, now Toto Wolff is warning of problems with the cooling of the new power units which could become a serious problem, although in general being optimistic about the course of the test event. Lauda in fact warned of troubles regarding oil and water temperatures which must be kept in a certain (small?) process window, otherwise there would be danger of overheating. It may be discussed before, and although it is forbidden in the current regulations, but would the addition of water or methanol injection help to solve this problem? I could imagine if the problem reveals to become serious and hazardous, or could even endanger their projects, the manufacturers could ask for it very fast. Additionally, as I understood Lauda aright, these problems would even be more relevant for the customer teams as they don´t have the possibilities of the maunfacturers to sort it out.

For the turbo lag issue, recently the Austrian technician Fritz Indra (Audi, Opel, BMW Alpina) was doubtful about the MGU-H eliminating the whole turbo lag during a comment in the "Auto Revue", because of the extraordinary big turbo charger. Obviously, he fears a non-zero sum game...
If there is any lag spinning up the turbo you could possibly "mask" it using the MGU-K

The team are going to have some long nights programming all those computers to cooperate in a way that is efficient
and also makes the car drivable

Holm86

garrett wrote:One question about the cooling: After Niki Lauda mentioned it, now Toto Wolff is warning of problems with the cooling of the new power units which could become a serious problem, although in general being optimistic about the course of the test event. Lauda in fact warned of troubles regarding oil and water temperatures which must be kept in a certain (small?) process window, otherwise there would be danger of overheating. It may be discussed before, and although it is forbidden in the current regulations, but would the addition of water or methanol injection help to solve this problem? I could imagine if the problem reveals to become serious and hazardous, or could even endanger their projects, the manufacturers could ask for it very fast. Additionally, as I understood Lauda aright, these problems would even be more relevant for the customer teams as they don´t have the possibilities of the maunfacturers to sort it out.

For the turbo lag issue, recently the Austrian technician Fritz Indra (Audi, Opel, BMW Alpina) was doubtful about the MGU-H eliminating the whole turbo lag during a comment in the "Auto Revue", because of the extraordinary big turbo charger. Obviously, he fears a non-zero sum game...
We have talked about water injection in this thread before as I mentioned it about half a year ago. Try searching for it.

Holm86

WhiteBlue wrote:I believe that there could be a loop hole if you inject water into the the exhaust gas return. In my view the wording of the rules is ambigous regarding that point. But other users here have taken opposite points of view. We will have to wait and see.
How would you do this?? If possible the steam would gain the turbo alot I think.

l4mbch0ps
l4mbch0ps

I was thinking about something today, and I'm sorry if it's been discussed already in the thread... it's a little difficult to parse so many posts.

The teams are speaking a lot about the how cooling requirements would be a big factor with the new engines, and I was thinking about some of the tricks they might try with the turbo air.

I presume - but haven't checked - that the intake is well enough regulated that there couldn't be much trickery there - but perhaps at some point before the turbo they could pull some air through a "second intake" in some way to go through an intercooler of some sort.

Also, even though the intake air is heated after being compressed, I suspect it's still a ways below something like engine oil or a cooling system for the turbo - so that air could be send through a second intercooler.

Obviously both of these methods would increase the intake air temperature - but I wonder if it might be offset enough by the smaller sidepod openings.

Anyways, just free ballin' here.

danielk
danielk

I dont know if this has already been posted however this is an interesting read re the Renault engine/powerunit

The Energy f1 2014

xpensive
xpensive

Again, if the Renault's installation in the 2014 RedBull looks anyting like that, xhausts and intercooler, I will eat a baclava.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Holm86

danielk wrote:I dont know if this has already been posted however this is an interesting read re the Renault engine/powerunit

The Energy f1 2014
Its pretty old. I think this is from their launch last summer.

wuzak
wuzak

xpensive wrote:Again, if the Renault's installation in the 2014 RedBull looks anyting like that, xhausts and intercooler, I will eat a baclava.
A baklava or a balaclava?

xpensive
xpensive

A baclava, tomato tomato, but we can make it a nomex suit if you wish as I have grown a taste for it in recent years.

wuzak
wuzak

xpensive wrote:A baclava, tomato tomato, but we can make it a nomex suit if you wish as I have grown a taste for it in recent years.
I was wondering because people normally say "I'll eat my hat", or something similar.

tuj
tuj

I don't know about water injection, 7.6 says:
The cooling systems of the power unit, including that of the charge air, must not intentionally make use of the latent head of vaporization of any fluid with the exception of fuel.
Now granted, that doesn't say anything about using water injection in the exhaust, but you would be making use of the vaporization effect to spin the turbo, so the way I read the rules (and granted the teams will use the most expansive reading possible), I don't see it as legal.

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

wuzak wrote:
xpensive wrote:A baclava, tomato tomato, but we can make it a nomex suit if you wish as I have grown a taste for it in recent years.
I was wondering because people normally say "I'll eat my hat", or something similar.

You were not here at the previous promises from various forum types to eat nomex race suits and what not.....

Am not sure the footage of this gourmet delight ever made it to youtube.... :mrgreen:
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

xpensive
xpensive

Fact is that my mistress at the time presented me the balaclava flambe with Cointreau, but youtube thought it tasteless.

Vanja #66

xpensive wrote:Again, if the Renault's installation in the 2014 RedBull looks anyting like that, xhausts and intercooler, I will eat a baclava.
So, you will punish yourself for misfiring... how? :D
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie