2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

Re: Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

lio007 wrote:here the new Renault V6 sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQEBjMydOhk
Sounds awesome.

OO7
OO7

Looking at the image of a turbocharger above, would it be possible and or beneficial to have a compressor and turbine that can slide left and right (from the perspective shown above) to vary the pressure in the system.

PlatinumZealot

No VGT's allowed. (Yet!)
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

OO7
OO7

n smikle wrote:No VGT's allowed. (Yet!)
The description I gave doesn't fit into the VGT category as laid out in the technical regulations.

wuzak
wuzak

Blaze1 wrote:
n smikle wrote:No VGT's allowed. (Yet!)
The description I gave doesn't fit into the VGT category as laid out in the technical regulations.
To allow sliding, as you describe, would require that the volutes would have to have clearence equal to the axial displacement of the compressor and turbine, which would mean lower performance at all times.

strad

I believe in this case one is not looking for any ram effect from the intake/airbox but rather it is the size it is to allow calm air..Usually it would be twice the volume of the engine displacement but what with channels inside it adds to the bulk.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

dren

Next year variable intake lengths will be legal.
Honda!

Re: Ferrari F14T

mclaren_mircea wrote:http://grandprix247.com/2014/01/25/disp ... d-ferrari/

Reports have emerged that even before the new V6 turbo engines are fired up in anger, a dispute is brewing between Mercedes, Renault and Ferrari.
Auto Motor und Sport reports that the dispute is over whether a protective cover for the turbocharger, weighing a crucial 3 or 4 kilograms, is necessary.
Mercedes and Renault argue that the cover is needed for safety reasons in the event of a turbo failure, but Ferrari wants to leave the cover off.
“Next week there will be a clarifying conversation with the FIA,” wrote correspondent Tobias Gruner. ”Renault will apparently show a film of what happens when a turbocharger explodes.”

You can read in this that Ferrari has a lighter engine (and probably a little less power) than Mercedes and Renault, but they exploited to the last level of possibility the and in a much clever way the distribution of the weight of F14T. It's also very likely that the overal package (chassis+engine) is much more on limit with the regulations with the whole weight of the car than Mercedes and Renault power cars, and that their's design can't sustain another add of weight without damaging some joker they think they have in their hands, regarding their package. I may be wrong, but that's my interpretation of this problem. I'm eagerly waiting for other opinions.
All they have to do is direct the FIA to youtube:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y01Ed4Sg3U[/youtube]

This one is slightly different because Holset is showing dangers of counterfeit turbos but same idea: (burst is about 3:15)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za0DieZHMKc[/youtube]

Blackout

Did turbos use to explode in the 80's ?

rscsr

I don't really get, why there would be any protective cover.
This is basically the same technology that is used millions of times on the roads. And even if a turbocharger blows up, what should happen? Or what is the difference to a broken connecting rod?
If there are parts of the turbine, that are thrown out of the back, they would be small enough to get blown upwards by the aerodynamic upwash.

FW17

rscsr wrote:I don't really get, why there would be any protective cover.
This is basically the same technology that is used millions of times on the roads. And even if a turbocharger blows up, what should happen? Or what is the difference to a broken connecting rod?
If there are parts of the turbine, that are thrown out of the back, they would be small enough to get blown upwards by the aerodynamic upwash.
A small part could hit driver of the following car as it did with Massa

The small explosion could cause a rear suspension failure which could end up causing a serious crash to the car or the following car
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzKopMagWQE[/youtube]

rscsr

WilliamsF1 wrote:
rscsr wrote:I don't really get, why there would be any protective cover.
A small part could hit driver of the following car as it did with Massa

The small explosion could cause a rear suspension failure which could end up causing a serious crash to the car or the following car
It's not an explosion. And again, what's the difference to any other part of the engine?
Well the small part you are speaking of was the third spring and a mass of about 1kg. So neither small nor light.
And additionally no cover would be able to prevent a failing turbo from hitting anything else, because it will spit its shredded parts straigt through the exhaust.

I would just think with the move to more and more safety FIA would want these on the cars. I have seen where Chinese counterfeit turbos have exploded and sent pieces of the wheel through sheet metal and embedded into the road/engine blocks.

Do I think it will happen more than once or twice a season, no but these turbos will be pushed to their limit. At the very least I would say make it mandatory for the first year and see what happens. Maybe relax the requirement after this year once there is data on the cars running and proof that it isn't an issue. Better to be safe...

rscsr wrote:It's not an explosion. And again, what's the difference to any other part of the engine?
Well the small part you are speaking of was the third spring and a mass of about 1kg. So neither small nor light.
And additionally no cover would be able to prevent a failing turbo from hitting anything else, because it will spit its shredded parts straigt through the exhaust.
I would say the difference between a turbo and an engine is the difference in the mass/strength of the material surrounding the moving bits.

aleks_ader

So then they also need exhaust filter. Beacuse the rear "cannon"aim exact towards in drivers heads.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna