Mercedes AMG F1 W05

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
BorisTheBlade

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W05

Looks like the max cooling spec.

deterherligt
deterherligt

BorisTheBlade wrote:Looks like the max cooling spec.
maybe they are playing it safe?

Sevach
Sevach

Just because it's there doesn't mean that's the option they will go for.

Given the novelty of the rules it's better to be safe than sorry.

ACJJ619
ACJJ619

Taking no chances. If they think they have pace in hand, why not go for a safer option. Good decision.

SectorOne

sidepods left of them seem to be a smaller hole? Can´t really see the black carbon bit as you can on the right ones.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Holm86

SectorOne wrote:sidepods left of them seem to be a smaller hole? Can´t really see the black carbon bit as you can on the right ones.
Thought the same at first. They look asymmetric. But now I think it's because the outer edges are curved forward and its just the angle of the photo that make it seem asymmetric.

OO7
OO7

That is not the maximum sidepod cooling, it is actually the 2nd smallest after the miniscule launch spec version that only ran a few laps on the first day of Jerez.

mrluke
mrluke

Wasn't that the massive cannon exit in the middle? This looks like the mclaren style sidepods.

markn93

Blaze1 wrote:That is not the maximum sidepod cooling, it is actually the 2nd smallest after the miniscule launch spec version that only ran a few laps on the first day of Jerez.
    This.

SectorOne

Holm86 wrote:
    SectorOne wrote:sidepods left of them seem to be a smaller hole? Can´t really see the black carbon bit as you can on the right ones.
    Thought the same at first. They look asymmetric. But now I think it's because the outer edges are curved forward and its just the angle of the photo that make it seem asymmetric.
    Yea i think you are right. The camera angle also just about covers the bare carbon around the outlet on the other sidepods.

Some interesting features on this car, just saw this piece as i was cycling through the images, i´m sure it´s been mentioned already.

Like a bat wing under the cockpit.

It´s also been updated as it looked like this before.

Seems the old one is the sensor we see on many other cars but the latest seems to be just an aero piece.
    "If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

monsi
    monsi

Was that stay on the splitter there before ? A learning from the Red Bull approach ?

markn93

It was new for the last test.

mantikos
    mantikos

Any sign of the new nose?

basti313
    basti313

Sevach wrote:

Running too much cooling can destroy your car, because some parts have a very narrow working range. So you would always go for the perfect cooling regarding the middle of the temperatures in the forecast.
    What I think regarding these sidepods:
    mantikos wrote:Any sign of the new nose?
    All parts which are standing now in front of the garages are just parts which arrived directly from the test to serve as spare parts, because they don`t have enough parts of the new spec. They have nothing to copy for the contenders and are just in the way. It is the same with the TR front wings.
    The first time we will see the new race spec will be tomorrow when they roll the new cars to the FIA check.
    Don`t russel the hamster!

Holm86

basti313 wrote:
    Sevach wrote:

Running too much cooling can destroy your car, because some parts have a very narrow working range. So you would always go for the perfect cooling regarding the middle of the temperatures in the forecast.
    What I think regarding these sidepods:
    mantikos wrote:Any sign of the new nose?
    All parts which are standing now in front of the garages are just parts which arrived directly from the test to serve as spare parts, because they don`t have enough parts of the new spec. They have nothing to copy for the contenders and are just in the way. It is the same with the TR front wings.
    The first time we will see the new race spec will be tomorrow when they roll the new cars to the FIA check.
    I'm pretty sure F1 engines has thermostats preventing the engine from running too cool. So I dont agree with your first statement.