Mercedes AMG F1 W05

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
basti313
basti313

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W05

Blaze1 wrote:If I recall correctly, Parc Ferme regulations do not prevent teams from altering the cooling solutions on their cars.
Hard to believe, because cooling changes rear downforce, which changes the car balance.
Don`t russel the hamster!

WillerZ

Blaze1 wrote:If I recall correctly, Parc Ferme regulations do not prevent teams from altering the cooling solutions on their cars.
They can add and remove tape from the brake ducts; I think that's it. As basti313 points out, changing the bodywork has a lot of other effects and is therefore not permitted.

What is interesting (to me) is that most teams engine covers look easier to change this year than last year; perhaps they too have remembered that parc fermé ends when the start lights go out.

RicerDude

siskue2005

didnt even go to 7th gear? :wtf:
or is he just cruising around?

RicerDude

siskue2005 wrote:
Simulators, just like video games often don't give a good sense of speed.
Interesting that the Merc is still flat through T5.

beelsebob
beelsebob

siskue2005 wrote:
Why does that surprise you? We have season-long fixed ratios, and Melbourne is a relatively slow track, not hitting 7th or 8th is not unexpected.

markn93

If you pause it from the outside view of the car halfway through the video, the nose is both higher and has different pillars that curve outwards. The new nose?

beelsebob
beelsebob

markn93 wrote:
If you pause it from the outside view of the car halfway through the video, the nose is both higher and has different pillars that curve outwards. The new nose?
Looks the same as the render earlier in the thread. I'd bet reasonably heavily at this point that this is what the new nose looks like.

bhall
bhall

Though it may not require much effort, it would seem to be an awful waste of time/resources to continually update the appearance of a car within a simulator. It just doesn't matter at all, especially when a driver using the simulator can't even see it.

beelsebob
beelsebob

bhallg2k wrote:Though it may not require much effort, it would seem to be an awful waste of time/resources to continually update the appearance of a car within a simulator. It just doesn't matter at all, especially when a driver using the simulator can't even see it.
It wouldn't really be a waste of resources – they already have the CAD models of the car – I would bet heavily that every team already has an automated script that polygonises the model at a certain detail, and installs it in the sim.

turbof1

bhallg2k wrote:Though it may not require much effort, it would seem to be an awful waste of time/resources to continually update the appearance of a car within a simulator. It just doesn't matter at all, especially when a driver using the simulator can't even see it.
Maybe it happens automatically: what comes out approved out of the cfd gets automatically uploaded to the simulator. Change of appearance without any effort.

edit: the beelzebub of our dear forums beat me to it... . You little devil :P.
#AeroFrodo

bhall
bhall

But, why? Just for shits and giggles? I can understand, to an extent, efforts to make the track look realistic for the benefit of the driver. But, why update something he can't see, something that would be equally well-represented in a virtual world as a box?

It just strikes me as weird is all.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

The CGI render show in the film was clearly a different shot, it has nothing to do with the simulator and is the same model used in the engine video posted a few pages back. It's for the viewers.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

bhall
bhall

That's sorta what I was driving at: it's PR. So, it's unlikely there's much to be gleaned from it.

SectorOne

Owen.C93 wrote:The CGI render show in the film was clearly a different shot, it has nothing to do with the simulator and is the same model used in the engine video posted a few pages back. It's for the viewers.
Correct, +1
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"