Mercedes AMG F1 W05

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Ferraripilot

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W05

The front wing is entirely new with the exception of the 4th and 5th elements, so it appears. The 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, elements now extend individually inward to the front wing reference area with lovely detail, comparing to Red Bull who extend two elements inward to the reference area. It could be the angle of the shots, but the updated cascade appears to have a more acute angle of attack and more surface area as well.

dren

Ferraripilot wrote:The front wing is entirely new with the exception of the 4th and 5th elements, so it appears. The 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, elements now extend individually inward to the front wing reference area with lovely detail, comparing to Red Bull who extend two elements inward to the reference area. It could be the angle of the shots, but the updated cascade appears to have a more acute angle of attack and more surface area as well.
The cascade looks to be the same, I think it's the angle of the picture. The verticle endplate that is now one piece bends sharply outward at the end. The horizontal strake at the outside of the endplate is maybe doing something different than turbo was initially thinking?

The upper bump on the engine cover now flows towards the exhaust exit. The lower bump is still there.
Honda!

theformula

Nice shot of the detailing on the cascades
Hamilton's blessed with an ability to make a car do pretty much anything he wants - Mark Hughes

dren

Yes, very good detail of the Lotus style barge boards.

The strakes by the rear tires were there at the last test. Exhaust outlets for the sidepods are the 2nd version with added gurneys.

The monkey seat looks to be the same.

The bat wing was there previously, but the shot a page or so back shows it in good detail. It looks like it is trying to keep a low pressure area above the wing, which is below the nose. So maybe to add DF to the nose? Or maybe it is acting as a vortex generator. It certainly is profiled as a lift generating wing. You can see the wing profile in this picture from Bahrain. It is behind the vertical strakes under the lower A-arm.
Honda!

dans79

has anyone seen nose photos from today? The amus article is kind of ambiguous, it's not clear if they mean the first test failure or the second.
201 105 104 9 9 7

thomin

dans79 wrote:has anyone seen nose photos from today? The amus article is kind of ambiguous, it's not clear if they mean the first test failure or the second.
I think it's quite clear that it hasn't passed the most recent crash test right before the Australian GP. I get the impression that we're talking about internal crash tests...no way of knowing how many there were, but suffice it to say that the nose is not ready yet.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Looks like the strakes they added aren't quit fitting with the rear jack. They've also block off some of the starter motor hole. Good look at the new monkey seat too.
Last edited by Owen.C93 on 13 Mar 2014, 17:34, edited 4 times in total.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

heimana
heimana

dans79 wrote:has anyone seen nose photos from today? The amus article is kind of ambiguous, it's not clear if they mean the first test failure or the second.
we won't see a new nose! just new FW

Gridlock

Is that crash structure detailing new? :shock:

Edit - HA, it's a mechanic glove. I'll get me coat.

geraldix
geraldix

Gridlock wrote:Is that crash structure detailing new? :shock:

http://imgur.com/AJqzTUG.jpg

Edit - HA, it's a mechanic glove. I'll get me coat.

mantikos
mantikos

Owen.C93 wrote:
Looks like the strakes they added aren't quit fitting with the rear jack. They've also block off some of the starter motor hole. Good look at the new monkey seat too.
http://www.formula1.com/wi/enlarge/sutt ... 3ma514.jpg

Are you saying that because the corners are reinforced with metal or was it something else?

SiLo

Such a huge update! Loving all the details of the car. Great pictures people :)
Felipe Baby!

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

mantikos wrote:
Owen.C93 wrote:

Are you saying that because the corners are reinforced with metal or was it something else?
You can see they are damaged. Under the crash structure.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

SectorOne

mantikos wrote:
Owen.C93 wrote:

I don´t think that´s reinforced metal. Seems like carbon that´s been sanded down by the rear jack.

What is more interesting though is that they don´t seem to be perfectly straight but rather flex out a bit.

Edit: is that blood to the right?

Last edited by SectorOne on 13 Mar 2014, 19:13, edited 1 time in total.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

beelsebob
beelsebob

Has the end of the gearbox always been positioned so high? I feel like I remember shots where the crash structure curved upwards much more, in a much more traditional shape.