Mercedes AMG F1 W05

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
tok-tokkie
tok-tokkie

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W05

That video is clearly not up to date and it is a different one to the earlier one we saw. Scarbs points out that the compressor has been moved on the Merc car. We also know that the Merc uses a 'log' exhaust header pipe.
But what I find interesting is it again shows the crankshaft with complex offset throws. When this was discussed earlier someone posted part of the regulations stating that the crankshaft can only have 3 throws. I really wonder what the story is behind this. Whoever did the CGI must have based it on something coming from within the organisation - surely? This is much clearer than the previous video. Press spacebar to stop the video.

Blackout

Made a (ugly) Paint drawing showing how the Merc layout is IMO
(Black: the intercooler is above the angine / Green: the intercooler is in the sidepod)
Edit: maybe the green one is closer to the real layout. The upper cooler might just be a water rad for the air-water intercooler
Last edited by Blackout on 19 Mar 2014, 13:33, edited 2 times in total.

timbo
timbo

tok-tokkie wrote:That video is clearly not up to date and it is a different one to the earlier one we saw. Scarbs points out that the compressor has been moved on the Merc car. We also know that the Merc uses a 'log' exhaust header pipe.
But what I find interesting is it again shows the crankshaft with complex offset throws. When this was discussed earlier someone posted part of the regulations stating that the crankshaft can only have 3 throws. I really wonder what the story is behind this. Whoever did the CGI must have based it on something coming from within the organisation - surely? This is much clearer than the previous video. Press spacebar to stop the video.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7412/1326 ... 181d_o.jpg
What would be effect? It would make engine slightly shorter? If it's true than it seems that Merc made a lot of unorthodox moves to get the best packaging possible. It is surprising that they managed to extract so much performance out of an engine. I wonder if log exhast costs some hps -- so maybe their strength is in that they made compromises on the ICE side but made things easier for ERS systems?

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Blackout wrote:Made a (ugly) Paint drawing showing how the Merc layout is IMO
(Black: the intercooler is above the angine / Green: the intercooler is in the sidepod)
Edit: maybe the green one is closer to the real layout. The upper cooler might just be a water rad for the air-water intercooler
http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.ph ... u=14795526
I think they expand the airbox for the air filter.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

David1976
David1976

It is indeed a great solution. The advantage is not only in having the high pressure air adjacent to where you want the components that need the most cooling, but in theory all the heated components are located together which could benefit aero when the hot air is exited?

De Jokke

Does any else think that Hamilton and vettel suffered the same kind of issue?

They both lost a cylinder and it happened on the formation lap. So I think the restart somehow messed up something in the engine data/electrical system.
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

dans79

De Jokke wrote:Does any else think that Hamilton and vettel suffered the same kind of issue?

They both lost a cylinder and it happened on the formation lap. So I think the restart somehow messed up something in the engine data/electrical system.
Vettel had a kers issue I believe!
201 105 104 9 9 7

el-Magico
el-Magico

De Jokke wrote:Does any else think that Hamilton and vettel suffered the same kind of issue?

If I am correct, Hamilton's problem already started before the race.. and Mercedes hoped that it would cure it self.
Quote of the year: "almost as sickening as the Velcro fluff under Lewis' cap..."

De Jokke

It was KERS + cylinder loss: http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/form ... 2--f1.html

Hamilton's problem was noticed during the formation lap(s), no?
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

SiLo

I can imagine Hamilton's formation lap was fun.

"Uhhhh... Lewis... Your car is broken"
"Great, can we fix it?"
"We're hoping it might just fix itself"
"..."

:|
Felipe Baby!

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Actually they didn't tell him.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

SiLo

Seems a bit counter intuitive?
Felipe Baby!

Sevach
Sevach

Owen.C93 wrote:Actually they didn't tell him.
Wouldn't it be better if they pulled him before the race start and looked at his engine?
Even if it meant dropping from pole to starting from the pitlane, seems like a wiser choice to me.

Anyways...

Powershift

The "ram air" from the air box inlet, to me, would be more useful for cooling(specifically the intercooler) than for turbo inlet air, and then after it can be directed towards the "hot side" of the turbo, TERS-MGU, and gearbox rad all in line.

Do we have any idea if they are running an air to air or air to water intercooler?
Winning is the most important. Everything is consequence of that. Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.-Ayrton Senna

PhillipM
PhillipM

Sevach wrote:
Owen.C93 wrote:Actually they didn't tell him.
Wouldn't it be better if they pulled him before the race start and looked at his engine?
Even if it meant dropping from pole to starting from the pitlane, seems like a wiser choice to me.

Anyways...
No, because it would never be fixed in time.