Mercedes AMG F1 W05

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Shrieker

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W05

But what was the actual problem ? What was the cause for losing a cylinder :| I hope it wasn't something as daft as a kaput spark plug or something...
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

OppositeLock
OppositeLock

Shrieker wrote:But what was the actual problem ? What was the cause for losing a cylinder :| I hope it wasn't something as daft as a kaput spark plug or something...
I think all the engines are direct injection.

beelsebob
beelsebob

OppositeLock wrote:
Shrieker wrote:But what was the actual problem ? What was the cause for losing a cylinder :| I hope it wasn't something as daft as a kaput spark plug or something...
And?

timbo
timbo

I think he alludes to the injector failure.

heimana
heimana

updates for sepang?

alexx_88
alexx_88

heimana wrote:updates for sepang?
As if the W05 is not fast enough. :lol:

My feeling is that they'll concentrate just on reliability for the next few races, while probably testing new parts in practice.

Burgess
Burgess

heimana wrote:updates for sepang?
The new nose maybe?

aral
aral

beelsebob wrote:
OppositeLock wrote:
And?
Sounds as if he was listening to the Sky commentary! :lol: :lol:

turbof1

The current topic seems to be drifting into generalities that aren't specific towards the W05.

The discussion is very interesting and useful, but doesn't belong here. I'll flag the discussion to be moved to the 2014 intercooling topic: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... &start=120

Please understand this not an intention to end the discussion or to preach towards the participants, but to continue the discussion in the appropiate thread, and keeping focus and what you can "touch and see" specifically on the W05.
#AeroFrodo

andrewf1

New infos about the car and the weekend in Melbourne from AMuS

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 13021.html

- the revised engine cover is the result of a new cooling concept, with rearrangements happening under the skin, which had not been tested before they went into the weekend
- one of the reasons why the new front wing didn't end up being used is because they only had 1 for each driver. it was deemed wise to avoid a situation similar to what happened with Red Bull at Silverstone 2010
- the other reason is that the new front wing works best with the new nose which has not yet passed its crash tests. they must basically meet the crash test standards with 75 cm of material at hand.

SectorOne

andrewf1 wrote: - one of the reasons why the new front wing didn't end up being used is because they only had 1 for each driver. it was deemed wise to avoid a situation similar to what happened with Red Bull at Silverstone 2010
How hard can it be to tell two drivers they have one new wing each, if you f*ck it up you´ll get the old wing.
I don´t know, it just seems pretty straight forward to me.

Seems like the other bit made more sense and this was more in the process of creating news rather then reporting it.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

mikeerfol

SectorOne wrote:
andrewf1 wrote: - one of the reasons why the new front wing didn't end up being used is because they only had 1 for each driver. it was deemed wise to avoid a situation similar to what happened with Red Bull at Silverstone 2010
How hard can it be to tell two drivers they have one new wing each, if you f*ck it up you´ll get the old wing.

Seems like the other bit made more sense and this was more in the process of creating news rather then reporting it.
Well he doesn't have to screw up, one wing failure is enough...

SectorOne

mikeerfol wrote:Well he doesn't have to screw up, one wing failure is enough...
Even with a wing failure, say Rosberg´s wing fails at top speed. You tell Hamilton the wing isn´t safe, here´s the old one.
Level playing field once again.

there´s also two weeks until the Bahrain GP so getting a new wing out there should be no problem.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

NewtonMeter
NewtonMeter

SectorOne wrote:
My reasoning was that perhaps the new wing requires a different aerodynamic setup. So they set the car up for it, qualifies with it and then has a first corner incident and they need a wing change. Bam, right there the setup is compromised.

If the previous wing still worked well and they saw that they still have the legs on the rest of the field, why risk it?

I don't know if this was their reasoning though. It just made sense to me from a risk/reward perspective.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool...

SectorOne

NewtonMeter wrote:My reasoning was that perhaps the new wing requires a different aerodynamic setup. So they set the car up for it, qualifies with it and then has a first corner incident and they need a wing change. Bam, right there the setup is compromised.

If the previous wing still worked well and they saw that they still have the legs on the rest of the field, why risk it?

I don't know if this was their reasoning though. It just made sense to me from a risk/reward perspective.
But that´s not the point though. The issue supposedly was the Silverstone 2010 incident in which Vettel´s wing broke and they took Webber´s wing and gave it to Vettel.

It just seems like the "new nose works better with it" scenario is a much more realistic answer then having a new 2010 Silverstone incident.
el-Magico wrote:
SectorOne wrote:Or the air is stopping the metal atoms from moving around too much which in turn stops the water atoms from moving around.
Water atoms?
I know a water molecule, or hydrogen & oxygen atoms...
Well spotted - my mistake.
Last edited by Richard on 21 Mar 2014, 01:41, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected the last line, I'm sure that's what he meant to say without swearing.