Mercedes AMG F1 W05

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
holeindalip
holeindalip

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W05

Interesting choice on the engine cover this weekend!

thomin

n smikle wrote:I think these new nose rumors are exactly that!
Mercedes composite stuctures simulations can't be that inaccurate to cause so many failed crash tests as reported. Even a caterham passes the crash test in a few tries with that hideous looking proboscis. I just can't imagine one of the more equiped would have similar nose concept and cant pass a crash test with it.

P.S Maybe they have a Lotus nose coming??
Well, we know for certain that they were working on a new nose. Costa said as much. He said that the new nose would be "extreme" and that it looks great.
The idea that it is very short doesn't come from official sources, but as usual they're "well informed".

turbof1

Pictures from their simulator suggested a shorter nose. The reason why is to get the nose tip further to the back of the neutral section of the main plane. My opinion why they do that is to get the wing pylons closer to the turning vanes underneath the chassis, making them work better in tandem, which results in better consistent flow when in yaw. It would limit the length of the front crash structure to 75cm. There are several factors making it even more difficult: weight, CoG and the mandatory weight distribution are those that come to mind now.
#AeroFrodo

NewtonMeter
NewtonMeter

turbof1 wrote:Pictures from their simulator suggested a shorter nose. The reason why is to get the nose tip further to the back of the neutral section of the main plane. My opinion why they do that is to get the wing pylons closer to the turning vanes underneath the chassis, making them work better in tandem, which results in better consistent flow when in yaw. It would limit the length of the front crash structure to 75cm. There are several factors making it even more difficult: weight, CoG and the mandatory weight distribution are those that come to mind now.
Is that still in effect? I thought it was only neccesary for the 2010 season when Pirelli came on board. To prevent someone from accidentally getting a massive competitive advantage (or disadvantage).

My understanding was that from 2011, teams were free with the weight distribution.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool...

turbof1

You probably mean from 2011 (2010 still was bridgestone). They did say in 2011 it would be for that year only, but they lengthened the period each time. So they had the same rule for 2012 and 2013. I'm not 100% sure for 2014, but I assume they did.

That gives issues when you need to add too much weight to fortify the shortened nose, resulting in adding weight to the back as well to comply with the distribution. At one point the disadvantages will outweight the benefits.
#AeroFrodo

dren

NewtonMeter wrote:
turbof1 wrote:Pictures from their simulator suggested a shorter nose. The reason why is to get the nose tip further to the back of the neutral section of the main plane. My opinion why they do that is to get the wing pylons closer to the turning vanes underneath the chassis, making them work better in tandem, which results in better consistent flow when in yaw. It would limit the length of the front crash structure to 75cm. There are several factors making it even more difficult: weight, CoG and the mandatory weight distribution are those that come to mind now.
Is that still in effect? I thought it was only neccesary for the 2010 season when Pirelli came on board. To prevent someone from accidentally getting a massive competitive advantage (or disadvantage).

My understanding was that from 2011, teams were free with the weight distribution.
There is one this year, it's more or less a range. Next year it is supposed to be removed.

I stand corrected, I thought it was removed for 2015. See Blanchimont's post below.
Last edited by dren on 26 Mar 2014, 23:50, edited 1 time in total.
Honda!

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

Not quite correct, the weight distribution is in the technical regs for 2014 and 2015.

2014 §4.2:
"For 2014 only, the weight applied on the front and rear wheels must not be less than 314kg and 370kg respectively at all times during the qualifying practice session."

2015 §4.2:
"The weight applied on the front and rear wheels must not be less than 319kg and 375kg respectively at all times during the qualifying practice session."
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

PlatinumZealot

Jef Patat wrote:
n smikle wrote:P.S Maybe they have a Lotus nose coming??
And why would that be? The lotus nose is built around a completely different concept of how to get air to the underbody/sidepods, you think Merc is chaninging all that because of ... what?
Because that nose shape was the only one actually reported to have difficulties passing the crash test. Just saying if these crazy unsubstantiated rumours about multiple failed crash tests were true it would more than likely be a DD nose in the works.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

andrewf1

n smikle wrote:
Jef Patat wrote:
n smikle wrote:P.S Maybe they have a Lotus nose coming??
And why would that be? The lotus nose is built around a completely different concept of how to get air to the underbody/sidepods, you think Merc is chaninging all that because of ... what?
Because that nose shape was the only one actually reported to have difficulties passing the crash test. Just saying if these crazy unsubstantiated rumours about multiple failed crash tests were true it would more than likely be a DD nose in the works.
I think you're over-dramatizing. The new nose failed the crash-test twice. AMuS reported it. That's neither a crazy unsubstantiated rumour, nor ''so many failed crash tests''. Also there's enough reason to assume the new nose will most likely look like the one we've seen in the various renderings.

NewtonMeter
NewtonMeter

dren wrote:
There is one this year, it's more or less a range. Next year it is supposed to be removed.
Thanks fellas. Consider me educated then.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool...

Emerson.F
Emerson.F

New nose and front wing elements.

Supporting: Ham/Alo/Kimi/Ros/Seb/Hulk/Ric/Mag

dren

That's the old nose.
Honda!

r.t.1.n
r.t.1.n

stefan_
stefan_

Malaysia 2014 - Thursday (27.03.2014)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

diego.liv
diego.liv

stefan_ wrote:Malaysia 2014 - Thursday (27.03.2014)

http://img2.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Mer ... 767182.jpg
Those 2-floor small tower aside the 'mini double diffuser' are new, right?