Mercedes AMG F1 W05

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
r.t.1.n
r.t.1.n

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W05

Last edited by r.t.1.n on 27 Mar 2014, 13:46, edited 1 time in total.

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

n smikle wrote:
Jef Patat wrote:
n smikle wrote:P.S Maybe they have a Lotus nose coming??
And why would that be? The lotus nose is built around a completely different concept of how to get air to the underbody/sidepods, you think Merc is chaninging all that because of ... what?
Because that nose shape was the only one actually reported to have difficulties passing the crash test. Just saying if these crazy unsubstantiated rumours about multiple failed crash tests were true it would more than likely be a DD nose in the works.
That makes no sense at all. If I would make a nose it would fail time after time, because me expertise is 0. Your reasoning is that Merc is trying to make my nose model because their test has failed a couple (we don't know how many) of times. That's some strange reasoning :o

Anon123
Anon123

I love the pictures of the floor I can't recall seeing such a clear view of it.

mantaque
mantaque

Looks like they prepared 2 different front wings for Malaysia. At least for Nico.

Thunder

mantaque wrote:Looks like they prepared 2 different front wings for Malaysia. At least for Nico.
It's the same as in Australia. The Top one is the old Wing which they used in the Race, the bottom one is the new Wing.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

kooleracer
kooleracer

Good to see that the cooling hasn't changed like we say at the pre-season tests in Jerez and Bahrain. The rear packaging is as tight as before. Hope during the weekend it will stay like that. If this package can handle Malaysia then the rest of the season is pretty much sorted cooling wise, the would save up a lot of time and effort for the team. Time and effort that can be focused purely on performance and reliability.

Anyone know why the floor was blatantly on display, normally teams are really secretive about these things?

Update: looks like they have opened the rear for extra cooling. Think we can expect a Lewis and Nico running different spec cooling during FP1.

Source: AMuS
Last edited by kooleracer on 27 Mar 2014, 14:23, edited 2 times in total.
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

markn93

Even the old one has new detailing.

emmepi27
emmepi27

nice view of the turning vanes under the chassis (ed extra orizzontal profile)

Ferraripilot

Mercedes have installed a sort of multi stacked chimney at either end of the inner area of the diffuser gurney. Very clever.

new

old

Sonic
Sonic

http://s14.postimg.org/3tjmu8sk1/image.jpg

Do you know what this black pipe is ? Thanks.

Ferraripilot

Sonic wrote:http://s14.postimg.org/3tjmu8sk1/image.jpg

I believe that is the drinking tube for the driver

Dreameagl
Dreameagl

Sonic wrote:http://s14.postimg.org/3tjmu8sk1/image.jpg

If you enhance the image a bit, you can see what looks like nozzles throughout the black piece. I would think this will flow compressed air at the driver for cooling the whole upper body. The black piece looks like it will fit over top of the head protection and will be taken off when the cars go out for their runs. The composition of the head protection is prescribed, so the black piece should be a removable piece. At the end of the black tube is a standard compressed air quick disconnect fitting.
Last edited by Dreameagl on 27 Mar 2014, 16:48, edited 1 time in total.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Yeah those little winglets now match the McLaren.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

gray41

Maximum cooling if its dry, something similar to Aus if its wet?
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***