Mercedes AMG F1 W05

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
mantikos
mantikos

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W05

I've been asking about he raised floor on the Merc for years now - the RBR or Fer don't have that...I've learnt that it is a result of a different type of carbon fiber construction, but I am not sure why they do that and what the aero impact is

Sonic
Sonic

Thanks dreameagl, that's what I thought !

aleks_ader

mantikos wrote:

I've been asking about he raised floor on the Merc for years now - the RBR or Fer don't have that...I've learnt that it is a result of a different type of carbon fiber construction, but I am not sure why they do that and what the aero impact is
NO raised floor here. This just shape of floor cut around tire, witch helps manage tire skirt flow on outer edge of diffuzor. So picture angle trick you...
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

A good image of the Mercedes PU106A today in Malaysia.

joseff

So is it widely accepted that the turbo compressor is at the front? Doesn't appear so from the ducting.

FrukostScones

left
right
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Ferraripilot

Their exhaust manifold is tiny, appears to be one large primary pipe either side going to the turbo which is fed by very short tubes directly from the exhaust ports.

aleks_ader

Ferraripilot wrote:Their exhaust manifold is tiny, appears to be one large primary pipe either side going to the turbo which is fed by very short tubes directly from the exhaust ports.
I see here pretty internal aero advantage (and overall package benefit). If we compare that with Lotus solution it is pretty obvious.

But it is hard to tune the exhaust pulses so they from that reason decide to use single scroll turbo intake. Probably some more additional back-pressure also, but that could be quickly overcomed with some additional engine map management and ERS-H operation regime.

In my eyes single log exhaust wins in overall package. But of course all is about to keep right concept to combine whole car in perfect harmony.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

miguelalvesreis
miguelalvesreis

Ferraripilot wrote:Their exhaust manifold is tiny, appears to be one large primary pipe either side going to the turbo which is fed by very short tubes directly from the exhaust ports.
Yes, seems that they're using 3-1 exhaust manifold. What would be the ignition sequence?

Ferraripilot

aleks_ader wrote:
I see here pretty internal aero advantage (and overall package benefit). If we compare that with Lotus solution it is pretty obvious.

But it is hard to tune the exhaust pulses so they from that reason decide to use single scroll turbo intake. Probably some more additional back-pressure also, but that could be quickly overcomed with some additional engine map management and ERS-H operation regime.

In my eyes single log exhaust wins in overall package. But of course all is about to keep right concept to combine whole car in perfect harmony.

Agree. Single log manifold is a clear winner, and exhaust pulses don't so much concern me for this engine setup as exhaust extraction isn't so much a primary function of this manifold in a traditional sense, rather it's function is to drive the turbo, but since the turbo is spooled on its own during lag sequences extraction becomes even less of an issue as that issue seemingly handles itself due to the MGU-H.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

joseff wrote:So is it widely accepted that the turbo compressor is at the front? Doesn't appear so from the ducting.
The small box with the red ring around it is the air filter, it then goes down into the compressor then into an intercooler near the fuel cell before coming back out into those 2 black boxes you see underneath the roll hoop cooling duct and into the top of the engine.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

mantikos
mantikos

aleks_ader wrote:
mantikos wrote:
ltitus wrote: The inner edge of the floor is raised! Does that translate to the bottom of the car as well? Can't be right as it will act as a skirt to seal the bottom of the car?! :wtf:

NO raised floor here. This just shape of floor cut around tire, witch helps manage tire skirt flow on outer edge of diffuzor. So picture angle trick you...
Mercedes' floor is dual level on top - there is no doubt, its from any angle any photograph
I don't think it translates to the bottom though...I believe the last explanation I heard was that they use a different honeycomb carbon type for the floor (apparently lighter)

PlatinumZealot

Owen.C93 wrote:
joseff wrote:So is it widely accepted that the turbo compressor is at the front? Doesn't appear so from the ducting.
The small box with the red ring around it is the air filter, it then goes down into the compressor then into an intercooler near the fuel cell before coming back out into those 2 black boxes you see underneath the roll hoop cooling duct and into the top of the engine.
In addition, the inherent high rpm deficiency of a log manifold is not so critical this year with the fuel flow limits set as we saw that Mercedes teams never need to go above 11,500 rpm.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

stefan_
stefan_

Malaysia 2014 - Wednesday/Thursday (26/27.03.2014)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

seinfeld
seinfeld

that brake cooling duct going through the caliper is an amazing design! will keep the caliper cool as well. that's a first!