2014 Malaysian Grand Prix - Sepang

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
gandharva

Re: 2014 Malaysian Grand Prix - Sepang

Ferraripilot wrote:MB have quite a bit more in the bag. We will see more serious lap times during FP3. Nico and Lewis were both significantly slower through sector 2 than the car is capable is my guess.
I'm not sure they are sandbagging that much as most here are expecting, especially when looking at the race sim. Also that huge air outlet for sure costs them some tenth on one lap. On the other hand, I would really be surprised to see Ferrari and RBR nearly on par with Mercedes that fast...

dren

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W05

heimana wrote:
Joie de vivre wrote:what about tire degredation compared to others?
i don't know but the pace of mercedes was 1.7sec faster than others
You sure?
James Allen wrote:Rosberg, remaining on the medium tyre, saw just a 1.7s drop in lap time across 11 laps compared to a three-second deficit for the Williams of Felipe Massa, who ended the day sixth fastest. Ferrari, too, had a drop-off of around two seconds, with Raikkonen consistently in the 1m45s bracket and around 0.6s slower than Rosberg on the same tyre.

But it was Red Bull who showed the best consistency, Vettel dropping nine tenths of a second in as many laps and matching the pace of Rosberg. That could allow for a two-stop race for the Milton Keynes squad against the expectations of three stops and will give them a chance to challenge Mercedes.
Honda!

dren

What are the two coolers above the engine? Oil cooler and maybe a cooler for the control systems?
Honda!

el-Magico
el-Magico

Source: http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12472 ... f-malaysia
Perhaps equally as significantly, neither Hamilton nor Rosberg's W05 appeared able to run as long as the F14 T or RB10 on the faster but more brittle medium tyre - the softer of the two compounds selected for this weekend.
Quote of the year: "almost as sickening as the Velcro fluff under Lewis' cap..."

el-Magico
el-Magico

Quote of the year: "almost as sickening as the Velcro fluff under Lewis' cap..."

basti313
basti313

el-Magico wrote:Source: http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12472 ... f-malaysia
Perhaps equally as significantly, neither Hamilton nor Rosberg's W05 appeared able to run as long as the F14 T or RB10 on the faster but more brittle medium tyre - the softer of the two compounds selected for this weekend.
Or they were just running with 15 to 30kg more fuel, which makes them half a second to a second slower and destroys the tires earlier...I think this scenario is much more likely with Redbull being 3 or 4 tenth faster in the middle sector if we think about the performance in Oz.
Don`t russel the hamster!

danielk
danielk

Im seeing this talk about Merc being really hard on their tyres. However i have actualy seen no proof to support this. Does anyone have details of laptimes? What were Mercedes Laptimes? v Ferrari, red bull?

From watching practice it only appeared that the other teams did about 2 extra laps than merc as they were up to 11-12 laps when pitting and others around 13-14 laps. Just looked allot earlier as they started there race sims beforehand. I think the issue is not as much as the press is making out. would love to see an actual stint comparison if someone can find the figures.

godlameroso

It's going to rain towards the end of the race I'd say with a little less than 10 laps to go, more or less. Also, the medium tire will only be good for around 12 laps, the hard for about 20. Strategy will be very important, in addition to managing ers and fuel, teams will have to make the right choice when conditions change.
Saishū kōnā

blokkie
blokkie

danielk wrote:Im seeing this talk about Merc being really hard on their tyres. However i have actualy seen no proof to support this. Does anyone have details of laptimes? What were Mercedes Laptimes? v Ferrari, red bull?

From watching practice it only appeared that the other teams did about 2 extra laps than merc as they were up to 11-12 laps when pitting and others around 13-14 laps. Just looked allot earlier as they started there race sims beforehand. I think the issue is not as much as the press is making out. would love to see an actual stint comparison if someone can find the figures.
Indeed .. quote from the williams thread ( http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... fd#p499398 )
Rosberg, remaining on the medium tyre, saw just a 1.7s drop in lap time across 11 laps compared to a three-second deficit for the Williams of Felipe Massa
But is 1.7s a lot compared to RBR or Ferrari ..

basti313
basti313

danielk wrote:Im seeing this talk about Merc being really hard on their tyres. However i have actualy seen no proof to support this. Does anyone have details of laptimes? What were Mercedes Laptimes? v Ferrari, red bull?

Looks more like just more fuel in the Mercs. In Oz they had a second advantage, hey haven't lost this completely for sure.
Hamilton also stated, that he did a race simulation of the initial race stint...so full with fuel. This extra fuel kills your tires.
The contenders like Redbull or Ferrari had up to 30kg less fuel in the car during their longrun.
Don`t russel the hamster!

kalinka
kalinka

Also the fact that they want to be cautious with Hamilton's engine could play a part. They want to get data, but they don't want to stress the engine unnecessary. So if they have a correct understanding of the car, they can interpolate some lower fuel behaviour from these high fuel runs IMHO.

el-Magico
el-Magico

basti313 wrote:
Or they were just running with 15 to 30kg more fuel, which makes them half a second to a second slower and destroys the tires earlier...I think this scenario is much more likely with Redbull being 3 or 4 tenth faster in the middle sector if we think about the performance in Oz.
Everything is possible, but as it looks right now it doesn't look that great for Merc. as during Melbourne..
They have lots of problem with overheating the tyres, as Hamilton and Rosberg both told the press..

kooleracer
kooleracer

basti313 wrote:
Sky is notorius for getting things wrong. I just looked at the laptimes. Mercedes decided to cut ther session short because the were doing 1.44-45 after 9 or 10 laps while others were doing 1.45-47s. They just decided to go on the hard tyre to check how its working and that went pretty well also doing 1.44 hardly without drop of. They didn't come in because of deg but because of their program. Trust Mercedes has still a advantage on pace and on tyre wear. It won't be as big as in Melbourne. Their main rivals are Red Bull and Ferrari. Will be a much closer contest between the 3. I''m already looking to this race, its shaping up the be a classic.

About their statement after the race, mind you both driver havent seen their overal laptimes of their stint or the laptimes of other drivers. The are comparing it to Melbourne were the degradation was almost zero.
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

Dyanxx
Dyanxx

basti313 wrote:

Looks more like just more fuel in the Mercs. In Oz they had a second advantage, hey haven't lost this completely for sure.
Hamilton also stated, that he did a race simulation of the initial race stint...so full with fuel. This extra fuel kills your tires.
The contenders like Redbull or Ferrari had up to 30kg less fuel in the car during their longrun.
Pretty much this, Mercedes are usually running heavier than most teams on a Friday.

f300v10
f300v10

Does anyone have a link to the session lap times for all drivers? The per lap chart, not the summary?