2014 Malaysian Grand Prix - Sepang

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
KPGS
KPGS

Re: 2014 Malaysian Grand Prix - Sepang

f300v10 wrote:Does anyone have a link to the session lap times for all drivers? The per lap chart, not the summary?
http://www.fia.com/championship/fia-for ... nformation

Anon123
Anon123

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W05

basti313 wrote:
danielk wrote:Im seeing this talk about Merc being really hard on their tyres. However i have actualy seen no proof to support this. Does anyone have details of laptimes? What were Mercedes Laptimes? v Ferrari, red bull?

From watching practice it only appeared that the other teams did about 2 extra laps than merc as they were up to 11-12 laps when pitting and others around 13-14 laps. Just looked allot earlier as they started there race sims beforehand. I think the issue is not as much as the press is making out. would love to see an actual stint comparison if someone can find the figures.
Looks more like just more fuel in the Mercs. In Oz they had a second advantage, hey haven't lost this completely for sure.
Hamilton also stated, that he did a race simulation of the initial race stint...so full with fuel. This extra fuel kills your tires.
The contenders like Redbull or Ferrari had up to 30kg less fuel in the car during their longrun.
In Oz the car was coasting to, IIRC Rosberg's fastest lap was recorded early in the race so I'd be surprised if the car still doesn't have a huge advantage.

f300v10
f300v10

KPGS wrote:
f300v10 wrote:Does anyone have a link to the session lap times for all drivers? The per lap chart, not the summary?
http://www.fia.com/championship/fia-for ... nformation
Many thanks.

f1316
f1316

Having now watched both sessions, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see someone other than merc win. Not saying they will but there's a much better chance than I was expecting.

Does also make you think that rb still has the best chassis.

beelsebob
beelsebob

I think come qualifying we'll suddenly see Merc half a second ahead of everyone, and come the race, we'll see them a second or two ahead.

el-Magico
el-Magico

A lot of thinking going on here.. :lol:
Quote of the year: "almost as sickening as the Velcro fluff under Lewis' cap..."

f1316
f1316

beelsebob wrote:I think come qualifying we'll suddenly see Merc half a second ahead of everyone, and come the race, we'll see them a second or two ahead.
Also possible. I think they're doing a good job of trying to maintain audiences if that is the case - not sure what they have to gain by sandbagging and expressing concern about tyres.

But maybe Bernie had a word? ;)

e30ernest
e30ernest

My guess is that sandbagging keeps their opponents blind to how much performance they need to gain in order to catch-up. I think it also serves as a way to force competitors to push their machinery a little harder than they would by giving them hope of catching up.

iotar__

beelsebob wrote:I think come qualifying we'll suddenly see Merc half a second ahead of everyone, and come the race, we'll see them a second or two ahead.
I agree with that. They're just carefully putting pieces together.
RB might be quick in fast corners but it won't be enough, especially in the race, same for Ferrari. Williams - disappointing(there goes my prediction), although not far off over 1 lap, McLaren - flattered by Melbourne layout.

atanatizante

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W05

Dyanxx wrote:
basti313 wrote:
danielk wrote:Im seeing this talk about Merc being really hard on their tyres. However i have actualy seen no proof to support this. Does anyone have details of laptimes? What were Mercedes Laptimes? v Ferrari, red bull?

From watching practice it only appeared that the other teams did about 2 extra laps than merc as they were up to 11-12 laps when pitting and others around 13-14 laps. Just looked allot earlier as they started there race sims beforehand. I think the issue is not as much as the press is making out. would love to see an actual stint comparison if someone can find the figures.
Looks more like just more fuel in the Mercs. In Oz they had a second advantage, hey haven't lost this completely for sure.
Hamilton also stated, that he did a race simulation of the initial race stint...so full with fuel. This extra fuel kills your tires.
The contenders like Redbull or Ferrari had up to 30kg less fuel in the car during their longrun.
Pretty much this, Mercedes are usually running heavier than most teams on a Friday.
This ! ... and basti313 argument also!
You should see their speed traps in Melbourne in FP1&FP2 and after that they turned up the power for FP3!
Now here it`s the same story ...
In addition, if I`m not wrong, S2 it`s a kinda fuel sector gauge, isn`t it?

And on another note I think they`ll go for a flexible 3 stop strategy race both covering the tyre degradation and a possible prospect of a wet race ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

basti313
basti313

e30ernest wrote:My guess is that sandbagging keeps their opponents blind to how much performance they need to gain in order to catch-up. I think it also serves as a way to force competitors to push their machinery a little harder than they would by giving them hope of catching up.
I would not say that. Just does not make sense to me, cause you still have to compete about P3 and the others can not just generate a second of pace.

If you are confident about Qually and want to do a "Vettel" in the race, you prepare for the opening stint of the race. Because this is the stint where you have to be good to get a gap, safe your tires and to control the situation when the others do their pit stops.
And this is just what they did with both cars: Used option tires and full fuel load.

The rest of the pack has to look on both stings: Qually pace and race pace. So they do their simulation on Friday not with a loaded and not with a lite car, but somewhere in the middle.
Don`t russel the hamster!

gray41

So has everyone else found a second and Mercedes nothing?
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

oT v1
oT v1

gray41 wrote:So has everyone else found a second and Mercedes nothing?
The Lotus apparently had a full pit stop on everyone after Melbourne, things might even out...

....but i severely doubt it, like 2 weeks ago Merc will show its pace in the race!
The Power of Dreams

Juzh

Mercs are sandbagging hard, it's pretty obvious. I just hope they qualify 1-2 with no issues and then go off the line cleanly so we can at least have some sort of race up front.
RB, ferrari, williams are the chasing pack but still miles off.

basti313
basti313

Juzh wrote:Mercs are sandbagging hard, it's pretty obvious. I just hope they qualify 1-2 with no issues and then go off the line cleanly so we can at least have some sort of race up front.
RB, ferrari, williams are the chasing pack but still miles off.
Toto does not sound like that...who will go first into turn 1 will likely finish the race on P1...hope they proof me wrong but I have little faith in it.
The race will be in the pack behind.
Don`t russel the hamster!