2014 Malaysian Grand Prix - Sepang

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
aral
aral

Re: 2014 Malaysian Grand Prix - Sepang

Juzh wrote:Mercs are sandbagging hard, it's pretty obvious. I just hope they qualify 1-2 with no issues and then go off the line cleanly so we can at least have some sort of race up front.
RB, ferrari, williams are the chasing pack but still miles off.
So that is why Hamilton was visiting the sandtraps? He was filling the sandbags.

Juzh

gilgen wrote:
Juzh wrote:Mercs are sandbagging hard, it's pretty obvious. I just hope they qualify 1-2 with no issues and then go off the line cleanly so we can at least have some sort of race up front.
So that is why Hamilton was visiting the sandtraps? He was filling the sandbags.
hahahaha good one :lol: :lol: well, gotta fill them up with something right?

Seriously though. They have at least 5/10 in the bag, down from 1s+ in australia. Whether or not their tire degradation is indeed the worst remains to be seen imo.

atanatizante

Another proof for backing that up is to analyze their top speeds after :
1) FP1: http://www.formula1.com/results/season/ ... _trap.html
2) FP2: http://www.formula1.com/results/season/ ... _trap.html
So it`s just strange that almost every team was gaining 4 to 7km/h between FP`s and only the Mercs remain with the same top speed :wink:
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

e30ernest
e30ernest

gilgen wrote:
Sandbagging doesn't necessarily mean he's taking it easy on all corners. They will have to push on certain sections of the track to learn about the car's limits. Another possibility is that they are finding the limits of the car on a heavier fuel load.

nhojekim
nhojekim

e30ernest wrote:
gilgen wrote:
Sandbagging doesn't necessarily mean he's taking it easy on all corners. They will have to push on certain sections of the track to learn about the car's limits. Another possibility is that they are finding the limits of the car on a heavier fuel load.
You are just contradicting yourself. If they are not taking the corners easy and trying to push it then that's not sandbagging. And if they are trying to simulate the race on heavy fuel it would be illogical that you will just try to pick the corners to push.

beelsebob
beelsebob

nhojekim wrote:So that is why Hamilton was visiting the sandtraps? He was filling the sandbags.
Sandbagging doesn't necessarily mean he's taking it easy on all corners. They will have to push on certain sections of the track to learn about the car's limits. Another possibility is that they are finding the limits of the car on a heavier fuel load.[/quote]

You are just contradicting yourself. If they are not taking the corners easy and trying to push it then that's not sandbagging.[/quote]
What on earth makes you think that? It's trivial to lift and coast to sand bag, or to not push on certain corners to sand bag, while still testing the limits of the car in certain areas of the track.
And if they are trying to simulate the race on heavy fuel it would be illogical that you will just try to pick the corners to push.
These were two completely distinct options. They could be running the car with 120kg of fuel in so that they are able to push everywhere, and discover what the behaviour of the car is on heavy fuel, while at the same time appearing slower than they're actually able to go.

Note, if anything, Merc are further ahead here than in Aus – in Aus they weren't even P1 in some practice sessions.

atanatizante

beelsebob wrote: ...
Note, if anything, Merc are further ahead here than in Aus – in Aus they weren't even P1 in some practice sessions.
Maybe this is due to the circuit characteristics showing them their strong points of the car - S1 & S3 - where power is paramount and their weak points - S2 with high speed corners - where aero is paramount?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

beelsebob
beelsebob

atanatizante wrote:
beelsebob wrote: ...
Maybe this is due to the circuit characteristics showing them their strong points of the car - S1 & S3 - where power is paramount and their weak points - S2 with high speed corners - where aero is paramount?
Honestly, I don't believe that they are weak on aero. Last year showed that they were second only to RedBull on aero, and not by far. I think they're closer still this year. I fully expect that they were running very heavy in FP1 and 2, and will make up all of the difference in S2 in FP3, while at the same time leaping far far ahead in S1 and 3.

Waywardism
Waywardism

Sector 2 times from FP3:

1 Lewis Hamilton 33.701
2 Daniel Ricciardo 33.826
3 Nico Rosberg 33.853
4 Sebastian Vettel 34.014

Interesting to see Raikonnen seemingly on top of Alonso this race.

cirrusflyer

FP3 more than second for Nico and 0.9 second for Lewis infront of P3 Kimi. So there is still some lead. Gues they were running more fuel on FP1 & 2?
http://www.formula1.com/results/season/2014/915/7321/
Interesting top speed chart:
http://www.formula1.com/results/season/ ... _trap.html
ToroRosso up there on speed, RedBull at the bottom. Is it not the engine then? Why are they so much apart?
If flying were the language of man, soaring would be its poetry.
It's all about technology!
When you go fast, do not hesitate to go faster!

basti313
basti313

Over one second? Are they serious? Even Redbull hat the decency to put some fuel into the car in FP3 when they had such advantages...

:wink:
Don`t russel the hamster!

Moanlower

Well it's raining, it's pouring
You didn't bring a sweater
Malaysia'll never let you come back home

Now on Hollywood and Vine
By the Thrifty Mart sign
Any night I'll be willin' to bet

There's a young girl
With sweet little dreams and pretty blue wishes
Standin' there just gettin' all wet

Now there's a place off the drag
Called the Gilbert Hotel
And there's a couple letters
Burned out in the sign

And it's better than a bus stop
They do good business every time it rains
For little girls with nothing in their jeans
But pretty blue wishes and sweet little dreams

And it's raining it's pouring
The old man is snoring
Now I lay me down to sleep
I hear the sirens in the street
All my dreams are made of chrome
I have no way to get back home
I'd rather die before I wake
Like Marilyn Monroe
And you could throw my dreams out in the street
And let the rain make 'em grow

Now the night clerk he got a club foot
He's heard every hard luck story
At least a hundred times or more

He says: check out time is 10 am
And that's just what it means
Go on up the stairs
With sweet little wishes and pretty blue dreams

And it's raining it's pouring
And Hollywood's just fine
Swindle a little girl out of her dreams
Another letter in the sign

Now never trust a scarecrow wearin' shades after dark
Be careful of that old bow tie he wears
It takes a sweet little bullet from a pretty blue gun
To put those scarlet ribbons in your hair

No that ain't no cherry bomb
Fourth of July's all done
Just some fool playin' that second line
From the barrel of a pretty blue gun

No that ain't no cherry bomb
Fourth of July's all done
Just some fool playin' that second line
From the barrel of a pretty blue gun
Last edited by Moanlower on 29 Mar 2014, 09:41, edited 1 time in total.
Losers focus on winners, winners focus on winning.

Helios

Wow...

Moanlower

Helios wrote:Wow...
Shocked about the pour or the poetry ? Thought it was a good moment to let it all out :mrgreen:
Losers focus on winners, winners focus on winning.

Joie de vivre

its soaking wet. they will postpone the qualy