Red Bull RB6

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Blackout

Re: Red Bull RB6

Unlike you, I think RedBull's top speed has increased; this is the first time we see 2 RB6 in the Top 10 in FP1 with a similar Top speed than a Renault or a Ferrari...

Intego

Obviously the RB f-duct is knee activated. I wonder how Newey realised that and still search for any air inlets. Maybe indeed underneath near the splitter, as SoliRossi presumed.
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

bjpower
bjpower

RB never show there hand on friday

univex
univex

Totally agree Blackout, they are closer. Just difficult to tell given different configs. Real test will be quali and race to see if they have at least maintained the advantage or pulled further away.

univex
univex

ESPN-F1
14:21
Mark Webber is now running the F-duct, using his wrist to cover the duct. He goes fourth fastest, 0.621 off Hamilton.
14:25
Webber is now third fastest but fastest of all through turn 8. You could hear on the on-board footage that he was running almost flat through turn 8. Very impressive and very worrying for its competitiors. Remember, they are not even running soft tyres or a light fuel load yet.
http://en.espnf1.com/turkey/motorsport/ ... plate=live

segedunum
segedunum

All Red Bull will be looking for here is a few kph extra on what they would normally expect in order to minimise what they're losing so as to make a straight line speed advantage others have useless, and make sure the system is not compromising the car through corners. If the system does that then they'll be happy and if it doesn't then they won't use it. They can then focus on tuning it a bit more in successive races.

Red Bull have already put the time and effort in regarding cornering speed and downforce so this is a more productive use of their time than it is for other teams.

nacho
nacho

Webber running a bit differently in turn 8 than some other cars, I think he shifted up near the end of the corner.

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

Soon we shall know much! Check out all the cameras!

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/photolarge.ph ... =1103-4462
Last edited by BreezyRacer on 28 May 2010, 17:54, edited 2 times in total.

Scania
Scania

This F-Duct look likes also work for increase down force in connor......
http://i0.sinaimg.cn/ty/f1/p/2010-05-28 ... 224018.jpg

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

Scania wrote:This F-Duct look likes also work for increase down force in connor......
http://i0.sinaimg.cn/ty/f1/p/2010-05-28 ... 224018.jpg
Sweet pic Scania! See the inlet above the wing AND the inlet below the wing? Quite promising!

ringo

Yes pretty text book f duct. The lower one is the pressure signal. It does not need a snorkel to work, but the driver controlled snorkel can override the signal.

At least this shows there is no packaging or weight compromise. Maybe cooling is affected slightly, because there is less room in the engine cover.
For Sure!!

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

I lifted this from one of my posts in the McLaren thread and it seems quite relevant here as well ..

There appear to be three aspects to these blown wings ..
1. blowing a low volume of airflow to aid in downforce by allowing higher wing angles (basically emulating a 3 element wing, which used to be, but is not now legal)

2. blowing massive amounts of airflow to create a high pressure pocket behind the wing. This flattens out the underwing flow and when properly engineered reduces drag and downforce. Get it wrong though and you can reduce downforce without reducing drag.

3. Not aiding airflow thru the blown slots, as in no driver input into the blowing of the wing.

I guess in thinking this thru these wings need almost continual driver input to maximize these two ends of the wing performance envelope. Maybe that's what Newey was referring to when he mentioned the safety issue.

It seems to also imply that the "unaided" airflow with these wings is probably greatly compromised. It would seem difficult to come up with a single wing profile that would work well in all three conditions. I wonder if the blown wing is a handful for a driver in a long fast corner like we have this Turkish weekend in turn 8, for instance.

lastly, as an option, a designer can choose to create a blown wing using only two of these possible three options. For instance a wing that when not blown, creates an optimal amount of downforce, and then when blown reduces drag and reduces downforce.

I believe that the new McLaren blown wing (intro'd at Turkey) tries to take advantage of all three possible aspects, thus the very steep wing angle. The Red Bull wing also looks to try to work with all three aspects of the blown wing, but the Red Bull layout uses two ducts .. a lower one going to the lower element, and an upper one going to the upper element (the one everyone expects to see). One has to suspect that the driver can control each duct somehow ..

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

ringo wrote:Yes pretty text book f duct. The lower one is the pressure signal. It does not need a snorkel to work, but the driver controlled snorkel can override the signal.

At least this shows there is no packaging or weight compromise. Maybe cooling is affected slightly, because there is less room in the engine cover.
Maybe I'm retarded but I don't recall a lower duct on any of the blown wings I've seen so far .. McLaren, Ferrari, or Sauber. Am I missing something here?

Intego

BreezyRacer wrote:Maybe I'm retarded but I don't recall a lower duct on any of the blown wings I've seen so far .. McLaren, Ferrari, or Sauber. Am I missing something here?
Ferrari also has a second duct or something like that: Ferrari F10 Forum
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

Blackout

but it hasn't the same task...

I think Red Bull's system is automatic. The upper tunnel feeds the wing when there is enough speed/pressure and that the lower tunnel helps the wing with extra downforce exploiting a Bernouilli effect when the car is below the optimal F-duct speed :mrgreen: