Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ianwit
ianwit

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

hollowBallistix wrote:oh how many more pages must we suffer !!! there are no holes in the wing or pylons, it's just a reflection in the silver paint !!!
OK I'll go along with that, A Reflection of WHAT from WHERE? I'm still not convinced about the 'holes' at the top of the FW support pylons, if they are reflections the photographer has done an amazing job to get a mirror image of the same reflected object on each side of the car with the sun coming from roughly one direction and the car always going in one direction!
I think they are different wings i.e. visually identical but one with vent features and one without :D
Became a McLaren fan in the late 70's when I ended up laminating their Kevlar nosecones.

ringo

Rikhart wrote:
Why then, would you have a team principal that went so far as to quantify the top speed advantage it brings?
Quote the team principal in question.
Look journos can ask anything, and i think most of the wacky questions they ask they get an equally wacky answer to get them out of the way so the team can get on with their work.
This is like the octopus exhuast, or the ride height adjusting system.
For Sure!!

hollowBallistix
hollowBallistix

ianwit wrote:
hollowBallistix wrote:oh how many more pages must we suffer !!! there are no holes in the wing or pylons, it's just a reflection in the silver paint !!!
OK I'll go along with that, A Reflection of WHAT from WHERE? I'm still not convinced about the 'holes' at the top of the FW support pylons, if they are reflections the photographer has done an amazing job to get a mirror image of the same reflected object on each side of the car with the sun coming from roughly one direction and the car always going in one direction!
I think they are different wings i.e. visually identical but one with vent features and one without :D
what's the sun position go to do with it ? the silver pylons are effectively acting as a mirror, both shots from either side of the car are roughtly from the same angle of attack, so whatever the silver surface is reflecting will be the same both sides, as it's probably one of the suspention components being shown in the reflection.

JMN
JMN

Looking at http://www.f1technical.net/gallery/2012 ... 1/IMG_1147 and taking note of the angle at which the front wing pylons protrude from the nose and the lighting characteristica of the "intake", I think it's a pretty safe bet that what you're seeing is a reflection of the sidepod intakes.
The pylons aren't vertical meaning the object of the reflection must be placed higher than the pylon itself given the camera angle. Additionally, you see the sun shining on the edge of the "intake" on both sides of the car. Only a horizontal surface would permit this sort of light reflection.

AdamCarpenter
AdamCarpenter

JMN wrote:...
This. Sidepod reflection was the first thing that sprung to mind when I saw both pictures of the "intakes".
Last edited by mx_tifoso on 07 Mar 2012, 21:31, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: post above

Coefficient
Coefficient

JMN wrote:Looking at http://www.f1technical.net/gallery/2012 ... 1/IMG_1147 and taking note of the angle at which the front wing pylons protrude from the nose and the lighting characteristica of the "intake", I think it's a pretty safe bet that what you're seeing is a reflection of the sidepod intakes.
The pylons aren't vertical meaning the object of the reflection must be placed higher than the pylon itself given the camera angle. Additionally, you see the sun shining on the edge of the "intake" on both sides of the car. Only a horizontal surface would permit this sort of light reflection.

I agree! If you look closely you can even see the Red of the Vodafone logo in the reflection. Myth Busted!!
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

ianwit
ianwit

The side pod intakes are reflected but they are HUGE! There is a hole underneath the front upper wishbone arm (for securing the nose cone I think) and this 'hole' in the wing support looks very similar except it has a white curved edge reflection on it. I am not trying to wind up or make a fight out of this, just remaining puzzled and curios :D
Became a McLaren fan in the late 70's when I ended up laminating their Kevlar nosecones.

Rikhart
Rikhart

ringo wrote:
Rikhart wrote:
Why then, would you have a team principal that went so far as to quantify the top speed advantage it brings?
Quote the team principal in question.
Look journos can ask anything, and i think most of the wacky questions they ask they get an equally wacky answer to get them out of the way so the team can get on with their work.
This is like the octopus exhuast, or the ride height adjusting system.
http://thef1times.com/news/display/05374
Martin Whitmarsh first speculated that a passive F-duct could provide as much as 5-7kph extra straight-line speed, as well as creating further downforce.

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Rikhart wrote:
Martin Whitmarsh first speculated that a passive F-duct could provide as much as 5-7kph extra straight-line speed, as well as creating further downforce.
'Could provide'....IF... it can actually be implemented and made to work?

This is a technical forum. If such a quote can not be demonstrated then it is of no value no matter who is saying it.

In this case what is the source of air flow for the F-duct? What is the configuration of the passive control mechanism and where is it located?

Brian

Pup
Pup

The intake slots on Merc's wing that Whitmarsh was talking about last year were far, far larger and were directly connected to the slots on the rear.

Coefficient
Coefficient

Rikhart wrote:
ringo wrote:
Rikhart wrote:
Martin wasn't even talking about his own car, he was speculating about the F Duct FW tested on the mercedes last year. This is not proof that Mclaren have one.

CTRL Mouse Wheel to zoom in and it becomes perfectly clear that what you are seeing is a reflection of the side pod.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

jason.parker.86
jason.parker.86

I remember asking the question some years ago about a Front Wing F-Duct and everyone said how no team would bother as it would be a disadvantage!

ianwit
ianwit

Here I go again like a dog with a bone :D

I think the reflection on the side of the wing support is of the inside face of the vertical barge board on the outer corner of the side pod opening. On the RH pic I have outlined with a yellow box the reflection of the upper support arm for the board/vane; below that is a yellow line to show the trailing edge of the vane.

The reflection can only be of one thing because the camera and the light are only coming from a single direction so if the 'hole' above the yellow box is a reflection I reckon it can only be the upper part of the inside face of the barge board/vane. I think that face is smooth with no obvious feature. So what is it?

I think you can right click to see a bigger version.

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

i think its about time everybody shut up about this stupid reflection, anybody who cant see that the black circle is of the side pod intake (you can see clearly the red of the vodafone branding behind it, and you an see clearly also the lower suspension arm reflecting perfectly on the pylon too. the is simply is no f*ing hole. the talk of the direction of light has nothing to do with it, its about the a angle of the camera to the bodywork and it lines up very nicely with what i, and several other people with eyes have pointed out.
Last edited by Richard on 08 Mar 2012, 18:39, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed quoted post

NathanOlder

But my mate Joe (and he should know) reckons its a hole!
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC