Mercedes GP MGP W01

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
djones
djones

Re: Mercedes GP MGP W01

But it was the front suspension that made the wheelbase longer?

No way will they go to the old setup, not within the few days they have.

autogyro
autogyro

It could be that they will run the older set up for Nico but it would tend to show a bit of 'clutching at straws'.

bugref
bugref

no way schumacher will allow that, why do he have to go back to a car that his not comfortable with.

mach11
mach11

it will be interesting to find out what mercedes would be planning to do... its time that they start to get the best out of both cars if they want to catch the other teams...

Ross knows that time is running out... and if they want their first season to be a success then they will be needing a couple of victories to show off...

also michael will go with the new wheel base car no question about that but he will be under pressure to deliver a strong result... and considering RB & MS past history... everything looks set to get a good result this weekend....
"Be the change that you wish to see most in your world" -- Mahatma Gandhi

RH1300S
RH1300S

I read that the reason they will revert to the shorter wheelbase is simply because they don't have suspension parts available in the long wheelbase form that allow for the increased lock required at Monaco.

Presumably they had already made Monaco specific parts for the original design.

mach11
mach11

RH1300S wrote:I read that the reason they will revert to the shorter wheelbase is simply because they don't have suspension parts available in the long wheelbase form that allow for the increased lock required at Monaco.

Presumably they had already made Monaco specific parts for the original design.
wow!!! do they make circuit specific parts too.... or is it just for tracks that are too tricky????

there was a news bit about the long wheel base " with these wheel base lenghts it will not be possible for the cars to get around the hairpin at monaco"

but with a shorter wheel base i guess MS will not be having that much of understeer problems as the turns are quiet slow....
"Be the change that you wish to see most in your world" -- Mahatma Gandhi

wesley123
wesley123

a shorter wheelbase is just the way to go in Monaco, it allows for way more easy turning between the guardrails
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

RH1300S
RH1300S

mach11 wrote:wow!!! do they make circuit specific parts too.... or is it just for tracks that are too tricky????
They make specific parts for Monaco and this has been happening for years. Different steering racks were/are common.

The front wishbones often have little cutouts/indents in them to allow the front wheels to turn further. I doubt that wheelbase length is a problem getting around the corners here just as long as they have enough steering lock to do the job. If anyone modifies the wheelbase it would be more than likely to do with weight distribution and/or dynamic load transfer.

segedunum
segedunum

wesley123 wrote:a shorter wheelbase is just the way to go in Monaco, it allows for way more easy turning between the guardrails
That's the commonly held view, but it's not really backed up by results with shorter versus longer wheelbase cars. The difference in wheelbase is too short to really have that effect. Wheelbase and the general length and profile of the car is usually decided because of aerodynamics.

vealio
vealio

Those MGP will understeer like hell in Monaco!!! :shock:

autogyro
autogyro

segedunum wrote:
wesley123 wrote:a shorter wheelbase is just the way to go in Monaco, it allows for way more easy turning between the guardrails
That's the commonly held view, but it's not really backed up by results with shorter versus longer wheelbase cars. The difference in wheelbase is too short to really have that effect. Wheelbase and the general length and profile of the car is usually decided because of aerodynamics.
I am looking forward to seeing the cars going around the Loews hairpin.
I wonder if any will have to bend in the middle?

JohnsonsEvilTwin

autogyro wrote:
segedunum wrote:
I am looking forward to seeing the cars going around the Loews hairpin.
I wonder if any will have to bend in the middle?
:lol:

As a professed Benz fanatic, I do hope they can "benz" round Loew's....
Im not exactly going out on a limb here, but the W01 will not win a dry race this year. Happily eat those words if proved wrong!
More could have been done.
David Purley

ringo

Shu had complained about exiting slow corners. Wonder if he has resolved that issue?
For Sure!!

JohnsonsEvilTwin

ringo wrote:Shu had complained about exiting slow corners. Wonder if he has resolved that issue?
Nope, the LWB was supposed to do that.
China SWB spec with blade roll hoop
More could have been done.
David Purley

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

The car will feature larger air intakes for Monaco to give the engine suffiecient air at lower speeds.