Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
NathanOlder

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

Superb display from the Woking boys today, as for Ross Brawn, he needs to worry about his own rear wing before he starts having other cars checked out.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Regauarding the scrutineering I'm gunna go ahead and say they were looking at there FW that flexes backwards at high speed.

Testing

Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

sAx
sAx

I can't see him doing anything "hollywood" in any of those pictures, in my opinion. Certainly nothing that the other drivers aren't doing. Although what this has to do with the car, I'm not so sure? :?[/quote]

Precisely! There is a better url for such garbage, it has planet and F1 in the title!!

sAx[/quote]

Simple equation.

Hamilton + celebrity guest = avoidable canadian stupid ego flexing resulting in chucking a win in the bin.

those of you wearing rose tinted hamilton specs are fooling yourselves if you can't see that Hamilton's lack of focus is derived from his constant jaunts to LA to hang with his hip hop homies. His lack of commitment is his worst enemy. Even his own team has alluded to this. Man up and accept it.[/quote]

Not so much Hamilton rose tinted specs, but more F1 Technical specs. If you had actually bothered to research your mis-information, you would have found that it was Ted Kravitz who chaperoned his 'cousin' Lenny around the McLaren garage. Lenny incidentally who is ion Melbourne for the F1 rocks concert. So now that you understand that this is a technical site and a technical thread about the MP4-27, I look forward to your insight into laminar flows and detached turbulence, when you are not celebrity guest spotting!

sAx
Integrity, Trust, Respect.

Follow me: http://twitter.com/#!/sAx247

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

Owen.C93 wrote:Regauarding the scrutineering I'm gunna go ahead and say they were looking at there FW that flexes backwards at high speed.

Testing

The wing they are using isn't the one they had in testing so comparing via pics wont show much else except them being different, but we already know they are.

They also experimented with the size of the DRS flap during testing too.

I dont see any evidence that the wing is flexing backwards though?

KingHamilton
KingHamilton

murtoidf1 wrote:I'm quite happy that Gary Anderson's "technical Analysis" has already been proven wrong.

If i remember rightly he described Red Bull's new exhaust package as " innovative" when it was just their version of the Sauber and Merc system.

He also said McLaren were missing a trick with the low nose..

I honestly think this is probably the most informed/unbiased source of information on the internet besides scarbs
To be fair they revisited this and got rid of the snowplough to improve the overall underneath the car to the undertray and airflow around bottom of sidepods! they didn`t leave anything to chance. Happy McLaren stuck to there Concept and believed it was right to follow this direction, Now with the ability to develop there car at pace and looking at adding the Mercedes F-duct to there armoury!

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

GrizzleBoy wrote:
Owen.C93 wrote:Regauarding the scrutineering I'm gunna go ahead and say they were looking at there FW that flexes backwards at high speed.

[img]http://www.formula1.com/wi/sutton/2011/ ... 95.jpg[img]
Testing

[img]http://www.formula1.com/wi/sutton/2011/ ... 01.jpg[img]
[img]http://www.formula1.com/wi/sutton/2011/ ... 81.jpg[img]
The wing they are using isn't the one they had in testing so comparing via pics wont show much else except them being different, but we already know they are.

I wasn't comparing, I was reinforcing the first picture, you can see it bending backward and lowering the angle of attack quite considerably. Pay attention to the endplates for the obvious signs.

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

Owen.C93 wrote:
GrizzleBoy wrote:

[img]http://www.formula1.com/wi/sutton/2011/ ... 95.jpg[img]
Testing

[img]http://www.formula1.com/wi/sutton/2011/ ... 01.jpg[img]
[img]http://www.formula1.com/wi/sutton/2011/ ... 81.jpg[img]

I wasn't comparing, I was reinforcing the first picture, you can see it bending backward and lowering the angle of attack quite considerably. Pay attention to the endplates for the obvious signs.
You'll have to excuse me. I saw FW and for some reason read "RW".

Joie de vivre

i think it is actually flexing backwards

Shakeman

Joie de vivre wrote:i think it is actually flexing backwards
Indeed it does. Presumably no need for a FW F-duct?

Pup
Pup

There is no front wing f-duct.

Pup
Pup

OK, so I've asked this before elsewhere without getting an answer, but what exactly is the copper colored coating that the teams put on the driveshafts and what is the purpose?

xpensive
xpensive

Shakeman wrote:
Aha, McLaren has obviously made their own optimization of the FW fiber-orientation, instead of letting it bend downwards
to the ground like RBR, they have it twisting around Whiting's testing-point to minimize the angle of attack at high speed!

Bloody brilliant and impossible to detect, suck on that one Adrian!
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Pup
Pup

Actually, the wing hinges - same as last year. It was discussed in depth at the time and McLaren and Charlie have always been a bit at odds about it.

CraigR1
CraigR1

Shakeman wrote:
Or you could have both
reduce angle of attack and stall what's left.

To be fair though I can't see many teams doing this for the front wing, due to the effort involved to get enough air pressure to the front of the car.

I thing we will see a few on the rear wings though

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Pup wrote:OK, so I've asked this before elsewhere without getting an answer, but what exactly is the copper colored coating that the teams put on the driveshafts and what is the purpose?

[img]http://www.formula1.com/wi/sutton/2011/ ... 20.jpg[img]
I went to pankl the other week and they said any driveshaft in F1 which is copper coloured is made by them. Which I think are all of them by now. I guess you'll have to ask them rather than teams but it could be something silly like branding.
Pup wrote:Actually, the wing hinges - same as last year. It was discussed in depth at the time and McLaren and Charlie have always been a bit at odds about it.
I saw the hinges moving last year but never the wing bending backwards as much as this. Last year Charlie told them to stop doing it so much as well so I guess he isn't happy.
Last edited by Owen.C93 on 17 Mar 2012, 19:20, edited 1 time in total.