2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
KimiRai
KimiRai

Re: 2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

diffuser wrote:
23 Apr 2024, 06:31
makecry wrote:
23 Apr 2024, 03:36
KimiRai wrote:
23 Apr 2024, 03:32
Can't disagree.

And that is why Lance Stroll's lack of performance doesn't upset me. Lawrence's love for his son has turned AMR into a team that is taking it up with big boys with one of the greatest drivers forefront. I am fine with that.

Also the reality is that, Lance was awfully close to a 4xWDC Seb. Seb being demotivated, washed etc is irrelevant here, if Lance is one of the worst drivers on the grid, he should have been dispatched by Seb with one hand tied, even a demotivated Seb

Fernando here is just on another level and that sort of tells you how good a prime Fernando was. Lance gets a lot of ---, people should just ignore him and focus on Aston Martin as a one-driver team and see the progress they are making. Lance is the boss, he will drive as long as he wants.
There is no evidence that the current Alonso isn't as fast as Alonso in his prime.
As far as I know there is no direct and easy way to find out on these things, maybe apart from physical and reaction tests - but according to him he broke records this preseason :lol: So one can only rely on guesswork and subjective analysis. In my opinion compared to his absolute peak (for me it is 2012 to 2014) perhaps he may have lost a little bit in qualifying and may be very slightly more error prone, but the race pace is basically still the same. I think he is the second best driver at the moment behind Max.

diffuser

KimiRai wrote:
23 Apr 2024, 08:07
diffuser wrote:
makecry wrote:

Can't disagree.

And that is why Lance Stroll's lack of performance doesn't upset me. Lawrence's love for his son has turned AMR into a team that is taking it up with big boys with one of the greatest drivers forefront. I am fine with that.

Also the reality is that, Lance was awfully close to a 4xWDC Seb. Seb being demotivated, washed etc is irrelevant here, if Lance is one of the worst drivers on the grid, he should have been dispatched by Seb with one hand tied, even a demotivated Seb

Fernando here is just on another level and that sort of tells you how good a prime Fernando was. Lance gets a lot of ---, people should just ignore him and focus on Aston Martin as a one-driver team and see the progress they are making. Lance is the boss, he will drive as long as he wants.
There is no evidence that the current Alonso isn't as fast as Alonso in his prime.
As far as I know there is no direct and easy way to find out on these things, maybe apart from physical and reaction tests - but according to him he broke records this preseason :lol: So one can only rely on guesswork and subjective analysis. In my opinion compared to his absolute peak (for me it is 2012 to 2014) perhaps he may have lost a little bit in qualifying and may be very slightly more error prone, but the race pace is basically still the same.
My Opinion, the reactions only come into play when something "out of the normal happens" ...Like when he got the rear tire out on the gravel in the race. Not sure home much of that plays in the setup of the car which in the end results in the speed of the car. He still get's the car setup well and Develops a good rhythm.

MichaelxScarn
MichaelxScarn

KimiRai wrote:
diffuser wrote:
makecry wrote:

Can't disagree.

As far as I know there is no direct and easy way to find out on these things, maybe apart from physical and reaction tests - but according to him he broke records this preseason :lol: So one can only rely on guesswork and subjective analysis. In my opinion compared to his absolute peak (for me it is 2012 to 2014) perhaps he may have lost a little bit in qualifying and may be very slightly more error prone, but the race pace is basically still the same. I think he is the second best driver at the moment behind Max.
I really find this ‚lost a little in qualyfing‘ to be one of those never ending myths. And i don’t know where this comes from tbh. May be a little biased, but for me he’s on top of the best drivers atm. Max for sure is amazing, though I think every very talented driver might be able to trash opponents in that car. Like to think that Perez being second in the WDC just proves that point a little.

KimiRai
KimiRai

MichaelxScarn wrote:
23 Apr 2024, 10:10
KimiRai wrote:
diffuser wrote:

I really find this ‚lost a little in qualyfing‘ to be one of those never ending myths. And i don’t know where this comes from tbh. May be a little biased, but for me he’s on top of the best drivers atm. Max for sure is amazing, though I think every very talented driver might be able to trash opponents in that car. Like to think that Perez being second in the WDC just proves that point a little.
I get what you mean with the qualifying myth. Its just that I dont think peak Alonso would have been 12-10 against Ocon in qualy, I think he would have won by a somewhat bigger margin. (granted when Ocon outqualified him it was usually by half a tenth)

zoroastar
zoroastar

diffuser wrote:
22 Apr 2024, 02:24
zoroastar wrote:
22 Apr 2024, 01:50
in the post race driver room, lando was commenting to max how bad alonso fell off from tire deg at the begining of the race. that was right before they saw the incident with lance for the first time. haha. bring back V10s and tires that last more than 5 laps. this is ridiculous
You do know that the hard tire at this track was the C2 and they do make a C1...

This race came down to it falling into Norris's strategy. That he got a free pit stop and Alonso's strategy was put into no man's land. Doesn't Matter which tire you put on the cars , The McLaren was faster today. No matter how many things you post without giving it any thought will change that.
i was making a generalization about the state of F1 currently, not this single race. other race series' allow drivers to push for longer, not drive 3 laps and then settle into preservation mode. not to this extent. i know that its not a matter of just swapping to more durable tires, but damn let them push more than 7 or 8 laps laps per race.

zoroastar
zoroastar

diffuser wrote:
22 Apr 2024, 09:38
zoroastar wrote:
22 Apr 2024, 01:50
in the post race driver room, lando was commenting to max how bad alonso fell off from tire deg at the begining of the race. that was right before they saw the incident with lance for the first time. haha. bring back V10s and tires that last more than 5 laps. this is ridiculous
Guess he didn't know that Max pitted 2 laps after Alonso, so not the only ones with pace trailing off. nor that Aloso was running .5 or .75 sec per lap faster that Norris after pitting.
yeah is it me, or do they seem to have a lack of tires at most grand prixs compared to the other top 5? seems like they have run into that problem a few times in the last couple of seasons. usually its running out of new softs during q3

zoroastar
zoroastar

diffuser wrote:
makecry wrote:
KimiRai wrote:
23 Apr 2024, 03:32
Can't disagree.

a lot is made of alonsos age, but the fact is, the motivation is the more important aspect. there is no stat for that. humans physical and mental faculties dont just suddenly drop off in their late 30s, but most ex wdc's motivations do. if alonso had won the 5 championships that he almost did, he probably would have retired, or maybe we would be seeing him decline in his racing ability, after coming back from a 2 year absence. since he didnt win those championships, hes still hungry and on top of his game, with a lot more experience to boot.

Macklaren
Macklaren

diffuser wrote:
22 Apr 2024, 23:57
Macklaren wrote:
22 Apr 2024, 17:26
diffuser wrote:
22 Apr 2024, 09:35

I did notice that if you factor in a regular pit stop time, Alonso was ahead of Norris on lap 20. So without a safety car. Norris would have come outbehind Alonso.
You can't really do the simple math like this because without the safety cars, Lando and LEC would have gone much longer to one-stop, when everyone else including ALO was committed to the two-stop
I said he would have come out ahead of him, I didn't say he'd finish the race ahead of him. The 8 laps behind the safety car +VSC makes a big difference in tire wear. The Fact that Alonso finished 30 seconds behind Norris with two extra pit stops does put him in the vicinity though. I'd have been surprised though.
ok fair point

Venturiation
Venturiation

When are the next planned upgrades?

SSJ4
SSJ4

Venturiation wrote:
23 Apr 2024, 18:14
When are the next planned upgrades?
Imola like all other teams. Apart from Mercedes and McLaren who are bringing upgrades for Miami

Floor and diffuser upgrade according to carlos miquel. Obviously a rumour but he was correct about having upgrades for Japan
Last edited by SSJ4 on 23 Apr 2024, 20:26, edited 2 times in total.

KimiRai
KimiRai

Spanish journalist says floor and diffuser update to arrive in Imola.
The Aston Martin factory is working hard to have a good evolution of the floor and diffuser for the first European round at Imola. [...] They need downforce, and the Spaniard has asked them to keep the pace of improvements high.
https://www.marca.com/motor/formula1/gp ... b45ab.html

Ashwinv16

KimiRai wrote:
23 Apr 2024, 20:26
The Aston Martin factory is working hard to have a good evolution of the floor and diffuser for the first European round at Imola. [...] They need downforce, and the Spaniard has asked them to keep the pace of improvements high.
Also a fair reminder that Alonso has only had practically two practice session with the car and Stroll had 4. There more to come from this upgrades. They clearly went in the wrong direction set-up wise for the race as wear was worse than the sprint. But based on how the team fared in 2016(Had the same issue), and the fact that the AMR24 car has pace in the final stint (Not enough but enough to defend and overtake, so clearly pace is there), means they just need figure out optimal air flow during heavy fuel.
Halo not as bad as we thought

Rikrikrik
Rikrikrik

I question myself: Aston had the worst degradation in China, so. WHY? the Japan upgrades is not working and we start to lose the progress like the same issues from second semester in last year? Mercedes Wind Tunnel is joking with us? Or maybe was situational? its to early for lose my hope to a big step foward in this year?

diffuser

Rikrikrik wrote:
23 Apr 2024, 23:12
I question myself: Aston had the worst degradation in China, so. WHY? the Japan upgrades is not working and we start to lose the progress like the same issues from second semester in last year? Mercedes Wind Tunnel is joking with us? Or maybe was situational? its to early for lose my hope to a big step foward in this year?
They've always had the worst degradation of the top 5 in 2024. In my opinion it's gotten better.

diffuser

Ashwinv16 wrote:
23 Apr 2024, 23:04
KimiRai wrote:
23 Apr 2024, 20:26
Also a fair reminder that Alonso has only had practically two practice session with the car and Stroll had 4. There more to come from this upgrades. They clearly went in the wrong direction set-up wise for the race as wear was worse than the sprint. But based on how the team fared in 2016(Had the same issue), and the fact that the AMR24 car has pace in the final stint (Not enough but enough to defend and overtake, so clearly pace is there), means they just need figure out optimal air flow during heavy fuel.
I don't agree it was clear. They were opting to go for a 2 stop strategy and so they stopped 2 laps earlier than Max. The timing of the safety car forced their hand and killed their race.