Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

Can we lay this to rest now? Merc teams made dogs that's all!
Ferrari Team Principal Mattia Binotto mirrored Leclerc’s comments, stating there is little difference between the four manufacturers on the grid.

“At first, last year we got a disadvantage that we tried to catch up and I think if we look at the data we are certainly more in line [in 2022],” Binotto said.

“On the first two races and on the analysis we have done so far it seems that between Power Units of different manufacturers the different is very little.

“We are really reaching a convergence. While it was a disadvantage for us last year it’s not anymore.”
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

PlatinumZealot wrote:
05 Apr 2022, 18:15
Can we lay this to rest now? Merc teams made dogs that's all!
Ferrari Team Principal Mattia Binotto mirrored Leclerc’s comments, stating there is little difference between the four manufacturers on the grid.

“At first, last year we got a disadvantage that we tried to catch up and I think if we look at the data we are certainly more in line [in 2022],” Binotto said.

“On the first two races and on the analysis we have done so far it seems that between Power Units of different manufacturers the different is very little.

“We are really reaching a convergence. While it was a disadvantage for us last year it’s not anymore.”
You have to be careful just reading what you want to hear and using it for confirmation bias.

Ferrari won't acknowledge any PU supremacy because the FIA likes to trim the tallest weeds. Ferrari is the tallest weed...

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

‘’there is very little differences between the four manufacturers’’. The problem is twofold, one is what are the little differences in numbers. And the other is putting a number on those little differenced will depend on one reading what he like too or not. Mercedes may not lack by much in the engine, but it no longer has the edge it once enjoyed. But the big problem is the locking of any development till 2025.

PlatinumZealot

All the teams tend to downplay themselves that's true but we have a comment from neutral party now. Nikolas tombazis says the engines are basically at parity.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/fia-formu ... ne-parity/
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

PlatinumZealot wrote:
06 Apr 2022, 00:54
All the teams tend to downplay themselves that's true but we have a comment from neutral party now. Nikolas tombazis says the engines are basically at parity.

I have reason to believe it won't stay this way for long.

OO7
OO7

From Jeddah:

PlatinumZealot

One thing I do notice is that the star-fish exhaust allows for much bigger exhaust runners? Two on the side can have a much bigger size or bigger bend radius?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

OO7
OO7

PlatinumZealot wrote:
06 Apr 2022, 14:41
One thing I do notice is that the star-fish exhaust allows for much bigger exhaust runners? Two on the side can have a much bigger size or bigger bend radius?
Exhaust runner size (thickness if that's what you meant) looks pretty similar to me:

I'm interested in how they're packaging the runner closest to the turbine in the W13 (and customers), in order to make it of equal length.

gruntguru
gruntguru

Particularly interested in the divergent shape of the runners. Conventional wisdom says "why taper the runner diameter up and reduce the velocity, then immediately taper it down again in the turbine housing"? There must be a benefit from increasing runner-volume and also from a wave reflection from the turbine housing.
Last edited by gruntguru on 07 Apr 2022, 00:36, edited 1 time in total.
je suis charlie

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

The heat signature is interesting

Juzh

PlatinumZealot wrote:
06 Apr 2022, 00:54

They said the same back in 2017 and people laughed at it. FIA doesn't want to get involved in this at all. Not in a meaningful way

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/russi ... 9/5016359/
Toro Rosso's Carlos Sainz said he "nearly laughed" when he read the FIA's verdict and comments from Force India's Sergio Perez who said Ferrari and Renault had caught Mercedes.

"I saw news coming out this week about the FIA that the top three engines are within three tenths and I nearly put a comment on Twitter laughing at it," said the Spaniard after qualifying 11th.

"And then [Force India's Sergio] Perez saying 'yes, it's true, it's true'.

"I nearly laughed at it - I think Max also nearly laughed.

"We've made progress, Renault has made progress.

"If not [Nico] Hulkenberg would not be where he is, but we are definitely not closer than half a second compared to Mercedes, especially in qualifying.

"In the race it's not that bad, but in qualifying the Mercedes engine has half a second or more."
In 2018 renault then went even further backwards, so this whole parity thing is a farce, always has been.

ferkan
ferkan

Well in 2017 I would say Ferrari probably was inside 3 tenths of Merc, in 2018 perhaps slightly ahead.

Agree that Renault and especially Honda were quite a way off, not sure how they thought anyone would believe them that Honda in 2017 was anywhere close to 3 tenths of a second adrift.

rgava
rgava

gruntguru wrote:
06 Apr 2022, 23:42
Particularly interested in the divergent shape of the runners. Conventional wisdom says "why taper the runner diameter up and reduce the velocity, then immediately taper it down again in the turbine housing"? There must be a benefit from increasing runner-volume and also from a wave reflection from the turbine housing.
This was typically used for 2T engines exhausts for long time. As you are thinking to take advantage of the wave reflections inside the runner.
I'm not saying it will work as in 2T engines, but the same principle can be useful for this engine.

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

rgava wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 13:48
gruntguru wrote:
This was typically used for 2T engines exhausts for long time. As you are thinking to take advantage of the wave reflections inside the runner.
I'm not saying it will work as in 2T engines, but the same principle can be useful for this engine.
I doubt it's any of this and I suspect it's either the heat wrap cladding giving that illusion or the tubes transition to oval, but maintain the same area, to get the body work tighter.

2 stroke expansion chambers don't work on 4 strokes.

rgava
rgava

Hoffman900 wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 16:08
rgava wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 13:48
gruntguru wrote:
I doubt it's any of this and I suspect it's either the heat wrap cladding giving that illusion or the tubes transition to oval, but maintain the same area, to get the body work tighter.

2 stroke expansion chambers don't work on 4 strokes.
I'm not thinking in the ICE (I already know that this does not work on a 4T engine). But perhaps can be beneficial for the turbine to tune the waves on the runners.