2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
MrGapes

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

"McLaren is said to be exploring options for 2023 in case Ricciardo decides he does not want to continue in F1.

One possibility is a move for British-Thai driver Alex Albon, who has impressed on his return to the grid this year with Williams after a year out as Red Bull reserve in 2021.

Four-time champion Sebastian Vettel, who is with the struggling Aston Martin team this year and is free to move next season, has also been mentioned in connection with the team."

reported by BBC

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/62119600

Obviously take all rumors with a pinch of salt, I only posted it because its the BBC

_cerber1

djos

So apparently limping home with mechanical gremlins = reliability? 🤦‍♂️
"In downforce we trust"

aran.vtec
aran.vtec

After the last 2 weeks of bashing Riccardo, What do you think will happen if they replace him? I cant see anyone being faster than Lando and at this rate I cant see Lando even wanting to be in the team when last did Mclaren build a good car 2012???

They left Merc went to honda as they said they needed to be a constructor to win in F1 (they weren't wrong so far) but didn't work
Went to Renault said they will be challenging for regular podiums , didn't work
Then did a full management/technical staff replacement and back to merc PU to be ready for the new regulations again that didn't work.

What's the next magic bullet promised to bring them to the front, the wind tunnel ?

Zak brown might be good financially for the Team but don't think he's doing the best as race results are concerned.

the EDGE
the EDGE

aran.vtec wrote:
12 Jul 2022, 09:42
After the last 2 weeks of bashing Riccardo, What do you think will happen if they replace him? I cant see anyone being faster than Lando and at this rate I cant see Lando even wanting to be in the team when last did Mclaren build a good car 2012???

They left Merc went to honda as they said they needed to be a constructor to win in F1 (they weren't wrong so far) but didn't work
Then did a full management/technical staff replacement and back to merc PU to be ready for the new regulations again that didn't work.

What's the next magic bullet promised to bring them to the front, the wind tunnel ?

Zak brown might be good financially for the Team but don't think he's doing the best as race results are concerned.
Well I doubt it’s a coincidence that the top 3 teams over the last decade were the 3 teams spending twice as much as McLaren, and those teams remain the top 3 this year

It’s not as if any other team has leapt from the midfield to the front either

Looking forward to seeing how the new ‘plank rules clarification’ effect RB & Ferrari from next race

basti313
basti313

the EDGE wrote:
12 Jul 2022, 10:11
aran.vtec wrote:

Well I doubt it’s a coincidence that the top 3 teams over the last decade were the 3 teams spending twice as much as McLaren, and those teams remain the top 3 this year

It’s not as if any other team has leapt from the midfield to the front either

Looking forward to seeing how the new ‘plank rules clarification’ effect RB & Ferrari from next race
You are right with the budgets. But please do not miss the point on works team or not works team. I have mentioned this in this forums a year ago and no one believed it...today....P1 to P4 is clearly works teams with McLaren as maybe the best non-works team. McLaren is not even leading Formula 1.5, this is today Alpine.
The works teams have the edge on cooling and chassis layout. McLaren was screwed by this again and I can not believe how people here still claim that being a customer in the Hybrid F1 is not killing any perspective of a championship.

Regarding the planks: If it affects in a way that is rumored with 0.5 sec on Ferrari and RedBull it is bad. Then we see Mercedes again way up in front alone. Boredom festival again. I do not see how it can in any way be a profit for Formula 1.5 as this is still to far away. So I hope it levels the three in front, but I see no hope for F1.5 to catch up.
Don`t russel the hamster!

JordanMugen

aran.vtec wrote:
Blaming Brown for race results seems unreasonable, Key and Seidl are responsible for that, though Brown is responsible for selecting them. Seidl is a proven winning team principal in LMP racing, so I doubt Seidl is the problem. If Key isn't up to it, then Key isn't up to it, but Key was highly rated beforehand.

the EDGE wrote:
12 Jul 2022, 10:11
The decision of McLaren not to sell to Mercedes (and indeed to spend money buying out Mercedes) goes way back.

Could ex-McLaren have won titles as a well-funded Mercedes GP and could their sportscars have been funded by Mercedes and sold as McLaren-Mercedes (or just Mercedes) instead of McLarens? :)

IMO it is clear that not selling the race team to Mercedes and trying to self-fund the road cars instead of having Mercedes fund them and sell them as Mercedes road cars, is the root of most of McLaren's financial problems. Maybe this approach of retaining independence will pay off down the line (noting however that Ferrari needed(?) to be with FIAT for a while, rather than fully independent), who knows? :)

basti313 wrote:
12 Jul 2022, 10:58
The works teams have the edge on cooling and chassis layout. McLaren was screwed by this again and I can not believe how people here still claim that being a customer in the Hybrid F1 is not killing any perspective of a championship.
Brown certainly made the decision to abandon the works Honda engines, and that seemed to work out best for all three of Honda, Red Bull and McLaren. :)

Recently, it sounds like Audi were interested buying in and running as McLaren-Audi or just Audi (ex-McLaren) as their works team, but McLaren (for some reason) don't want to do that, so Sauber is going to profit from that and become the Audi works team instead? :?:

In this instance of rejecting works engines from elsewhere, should McLaren be pursuing their own power unit division and their own McLaren works engines for 2026? :?: Red Bull are already starting on such a project so McLaren would want to get a move along if they wish to pursue a similar project.

Slahinki
Slahinki

It's really not that hard to understand. McLaren has a brand and a legacy to uphold. Selling to Mercedes or Audi would make that disappear, thus it's not going to happen. I'd much rather have a less competitive McLaren than a really successfull team that isn't McLaren anymore, and even then there's no guarantee it would even be successfull, just a mediocre team that used to be McLaren...

basti313
basti313

JordanMugen wrote:
12 Jul 2022, 11:19

Blaming Brown for race results seems unreasonable, Key and Seidl are responsible for that, though Brown is responsible for selecting them. Seidl is a proven winning team principal in LMP racing, so I doubt Seidl is the problem. If Key isn't up to it, then Key isn't up to it, but Key was highly rated beforehand.
I think they have one of the best management teams. The issue is the money, the engine and the status.
They are still the best non-works team battling with and being usually better than the B-works-teams. Far ahead of the other non-works teams.
JordanMugen wrote:
Could ex-McLaren have won titles as a well-funded Mercedes GP and could their sportscars have been funded by Mercedes and sold as McLaren-Mercedes (or just Mercedes) instead of McLarens? :)
I still think once the Hybrid rules came clear and Brawn was for sale...Mercedes did not want anything else but a Mercedes team.
JordanMugen wrote:
Brown certainly made the decision to abandon the works Honda engines, and that seemed to work out best for all three of Honda, Red Bull and McLaren. :)
How that? McLaren was 100% the looser in this game. You can not judge the Renault years as big success and once McL got a bit competitive, the Honda was stronger.
JordanMugen wrote:
Recently, it sounds like Audi were interested buying in and running as McLaren-Audi or just Audi (ex-McLaren) as their works team, but McLaren (for some reason) don't want to do that, so Sauber is going to profit from that and become the Audi works team instead? :?:
I still do not believe in this. We saw clearly that you need a big customer basis or a B-Teams to eat through engines. You need to supply 2-3 teams to be competitive.
So VW with Porsche and Audi doing separate programs with too little number of engines to supply is stupid.

Audi with Sauber and McLaren might make sense...but then McLaren is again a customer.
JordanMugen wrote:
In this instance of rejecting works engines from elsewhere, should McLaren be pursuing their own power unit division and their own McLaren works engines for 2026? :?: Red Bull are already starting on such a project so McLaren would want to get a move along if they wish to pursue a similar project.
Where should the money come from?
I also think, that RedBull is just trying to maximize the time for R&D now, then sell the know how and transfer the people to whoever comes into the game (Porsche, Honda). I do not see a RedBull engine 2026.
Don`t russel the hamster!

bauc

MrGapes wrote:
12 Jul 2022, 07:26
"McLaren is said to be exploring options for 2023 in case Ricciardo decides he does not want to continue in F1.

One possibility is a move for British-Thai driver Alex Albon, who has impressed on his return to the grid this year with Williams after a year out as Red Bull reserve in 2021.

Four-time champion Sebastian Vettel, who is with the struggling Aston Martin team this year and is free to move next season, has also been mentioned in connection with the team."

reported by BBC

Obviously take all rumors with a pinch of salt, I only posted it because its the BBC
BBC are usually spot on when it comes to Mclaren, they were first to announce that Hamilton will leave, first to announce that Mclaren will go back to Mercedes engines after Renault, any many more .... they have something for sure but yes you are right, at this point this is all speculative.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

bauc wrote:
12 Jul 2022, 13:08
MrGapes wrote:
12 Jul 2022, 07:26

reported by BBC

BBC are usually spot on when it comes to Mclaren, they were first to announce that Hamilton will leave, first to announce that Mclaren will go back to Mercedes engines after Renault, any many more .... they have something for sure but yes you are right, at this point this is all speculative.
I'm not a fan of Albon, to be honest, I'm not sure he can match Lando.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

JordanMugen

Ground Effect wrote:
12 Jul 2022, 13:59
Does he need to? Albon would just be the second driver on a salary of around $1m USD, like what he is paid at Williams.

It is also rumoured that McLaren are interested in Piastri, and may pounce on Piastri's services if Alpine let Piastri's contract lapse by not providing a Formula One drive (be it at Alpine or Williams).

haza
haza

Decent result in Austria the car had reasonable race pace, would be nice to see if they bring some upgrades to help the drag though personally I think It would be best for McLaren to focus on next year’s chassis even if the team loses p4 they get the benefit of extra wind tunnel time, it’s been a tough season so far but the team knows how to come back from a rough spot the last 3 years has proven so

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

JordanMugen wrote:
12 Jul 2022, 14:25
Ground Effect wrote:
Does he need to? Albon would just be the second driver on a salary of around $1m USD, like what he is paid at Williams.

It is also rumoured that McLaren are interested in Piastri, and may pounce on Piastri's services if Alpine let Piastri's contract lapse by not providing a Formula One drive (be it at Alpine or Williams).
He needs to match Lando, in a tight midfield that we're in. Piastri could end up being another Stoffel Vandoorne. I'd like to see him in F1 first, or at least another racing series, even if it's WEC.
I don't think the salary itself is the issue, it's about worth. If Max Verstappen became available or Leclerc, and for some reason they were interested in driving for McLaren,
I'm pretty sure the team would go for it, irrespective of the kind of salary their on.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

JPower
JPower

Ground Effect wrote:

I don't think he needs to and I'm not sure any reasonably available driver can in terms of pure pace. Its clear to me that Albon is a solid, quick driver that can provide excellent technical feedback, which I think McLaren is missing right now. Good personality fit as well.