2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
runningmanz
runningmanz

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

f1rules wrote:
13 Jul 2022, 16:35
lol youre killing me with your "must defend Daniel at all cost...." keep it coming =D>
runningmanz wrote:
13 Jul 2022, 15:38
f1rules wrote:
13 Jul 2022, 13:24
just quit daniel, its ok, no hard feelings
Save your hate propoganda for the Autosport forum bro, it's mostly the clueless leading the even more clueless over there when it comes to Ricciardo contract and exit talk etc. Should fit right in.
I didn't know reiterating the obvious regarding his contract which has been spelt out by 3 of they key ppl yet again is 'defending Ricciardo at all costs'. More like defending against clueless as rants at all costs. 🤣 Posting I want Dan out ad nauseum on various forums which you seem to like doing is neither constructive or a wise use of time imo.

f1rules
f1rules

i hoped and still hope he will turn it around! but unfortunately i dont see the chances very high, then all i ask is to be pragmatic, its no fun either for him or the team, why not just call it a day, regarding the contractual, there is always a way, if he stays so be it

Slahinki
Slahinki

I don't necessarily think he's out of McLaren after the year is done, but to act like statements of "full support" or whatever by the team, and statements like the one made by Daniel here means anything in Formula 1 is absolutely silly.

Gasly had the full support of the RB organisation and they were going to help him be competitive going into summer break 2019. Yet when racing resumed he had been dropped like a sack of rocks.

I'm with JPower on this one.

mwillems

f1rules wrote:
13 Jul 2022, 17:28
i hoped and still hope he will turn it around! but unfortunately i dont see the chances very high, then all i ask is to be pragmatic, its no fun either for him or the team, why not just call it a day, regarding the contractual, there is always a way, if he stays so be it
I'm ambivalent about Daniel at the team but when I saw your prior post I just found it funny, laughed and assumed it was your feelings mixed with humour.

What I do find is that the discussion on whether Daniel will stay or go has nothing to do with anything other than the two camps looking to mouth off at the each other or vent frustration. Everyone has an opinion that's fine but he's at McLaren until he is not or until something concrete has been announced.

Its been months of this chatter just because of one interview that Zak gave and now we have a lot of dogs fighting over the same bone

:lol:
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Ben1980
Ben1980

F1 like other sports always needs a talking point. Yes Ricciardo has been disappointing, but the reactions and strange hatred has been over the top.

He'll likely (not definitely) be there next season. But I'd put money he isn't there in 2024.

He does need to hope someone else has terrible form to take the heat off.

JPower
JPower

McLaren has been heavy on the Ricciardo PR today...

mwillems

JPower wrote:
13 Jul 2022, 21:06
McLaren has been heavy on the Ricciardo PR today...
It's like pouring water on burning oil in this place :D
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

djos

f1rules wrote:
lol youre killing me with your "must defend Daniel at all cost...." keep it coming =D>
runningmanz wrote:
f1rules wrote:
13 Jul 2022, 13:24
just quit daniel, its ok, no hard feelings
Save your hate propoganda for the Autosport forum bro, it's mostly the clueless leading the even more clueless over there when it comes to Ricciardo contract and exit talk etc. Should fit right in.
Daniels number one issue This year, has been mechanical reliability, when his car has been reliable/undamaged, he’s scored points.
Last edited by djos on 13 Jul 2022, 23:50, edited 1 time in total.
"In downforce we trust"

JPower
JPower

djos wrote:
13 Jul 2022, 23:31
f1rules wrote:
runningmanz wrote:

Daniels number one issue This yeah has been mechanical reliability, when his car has been reliable/undamaged, he’s scored points.
IMO his number one issue is qualifying. That's what's really limiting the potential of his races. On average he's starting around P12 this year. Lando is starting around P9 on average.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

djos wrote:
f1rules wrote:
runningmanz wrote:

Daniels number one issue This year, has been mechanical reliability, when his car has been reliable/undamaged, he’s scored points.
I still feel he has issues with the tyres, I think it’s a sizeable issue. The tyre problem could also be down to lack of an adequate enough preseason. I dunno, just have this feeling.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

djos

Ground Effect wrote:
14 Jul 2022, 01:26
djos wrote:

I still feel he has issues with the tyres, I think it’s a sizeable issue. The tyre problem could also be down to lack of an adequate enough preseason. I dunno, just have this feeling.
I generally agree, missing the pre-season testing did hurt him, and it seemed to show in the last few laps of his stints in Austria. Although that could have been circuit specific, as he had good pace at the end of stints in Melbourne and Baku.

That may be why he did the tire test, the other day, instead of Lando.
"In downforce we trust"

MrGapes

djos wrote:
14 Jul 2022, 02:00
Ground Effect wrote:
14 Jul 2022, 01:26
djos wrote:

I generally agree, missing the pre-season testing did hurt him, and it seemed to show in the last few laps of his stints in Austria. Although that could have been circuit specific, as he had good pace at the end of stints in Melbourne and Baku.

That may be why he did the tire test, the other day, instead of Lando.
Lando did complete the tyre test today, it was split across two days, Daniel went yesterday, just in case people didn't know

runningmanz
runningmanz

Yeah I think one of his main issues is getting heat into the tyres at some lower grip tracks at times. This hurts him in qualli. Strange how it varies though as he was looking really strong in Imola in the wet when the grip wasn't great. Must be driving style related and the McLaren designs though as it was never this bad with any other cars. Hope they figure it out, its clear they are still working hard on it as a long term goal of fulfilling his known high previous performance ceiling and race winning pedigree (where they may have called it quits with other lesser known quantities) and to also obviously working towards a championship capable McLaren as well. They seem to know what they want out of the car with both drivers inputs into the design (they both said they basically want the same things), just not there yet for various reasons, one of which is obviously the outdated wind tunnel.

Having said that a bit of luck wouldn't go astray too. A few times he has looked on for a positive result something has stuffed him up like the red flags in Q3 at Imola and innocuous race tyre rub with Carlos, slow pit release in qualli at Miami, PU DNF at Saudi, car issue in Spain and Canada getting horrendous pitstops and brakes overheating. Even the poor early pit strategy and DRS failure at Britain forcing him into an extra stop probably cost him the chance of a point or two despite the bemoaned grip problems.

Taking a constructive approach though the last 3 out of 4 races he has been relatively close on pace with Lando (arguably faster in Azerbaijan and Austria sprint).
Last edited by runningmanz on 14 Jul 2022, 05:34, edited 4 times in total.

PlatinumZealot

Some drivers just decline on a steeper slope. A bit sad, but it is what it is.

Many good drivers have gone without a championship. Can you really say he deserves it more than the other top guys here? Not at this moment.

His time to win was 2013. It was 2012 when he put faster times at the end of season testing that were really threating the times Vettel in days leading up to it. Christian and Helmut were impressed but decided against giving Danny the 2013 seat becauase Mark Webber had one more year in him. Oh how things would have been different in 2013...

Anyway. I can't really see him within a shout of the championship unless Mclaren makes a beast for 2023 and he has some devlish luck on his side. Norris is just outclassing him in more areas than just speed. Race pace. Braking. Race planning. Danny is still excellent at placing his car... (well sometimes) . But.. Yeah. It's sad to see him no longer a threat to anyone.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

djos

Nobody deserves a championship, you have to earn it!

You guys are ignoring the elephant in the room, Daniel holds all the contractual cards and Mclaren can’t fire him even if they wanted to.
"In downforce we trust"