2023 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, March 03 - 05

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
mendis
mendis

Re: 2023 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, March 03 - 05

AR3-GP wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 06:46
Helmut Marko is not buying what Aston Martin is selling:

He placed them behind Ferrari.
Red Bull Motorsport Director Helmut Marko has confirmed there is a small problem with Max Verstappen

"We have a change in driving behaviour with Max that we can't explain. In the slow corners there is a problem with him, very different from the tests. We have to look at it, but we expect it to be done by the next session," explained Marko.

"During test drives, you don't know the amount of fuel and engine mappings. But Ferrari and we are probably in front, Alonso will annoy the Mercedes with the Aston Martin if they don't find something soon."

"If you compare the Aston Martin with our car, they are very similar. They have brought some employees from us and therefore a lot can probably be deduced."
https://www.formelaustria.at/marko-wir- ... m-bei-max/
That interview was before FP2, after FP1.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

mendis wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 06:52
AR3-GP wrote:

Red Bull Motorsport Director Helmut Marko has confirmed there is a small problem with Max Verstappen

"We have a change in driving behaviour with Max that we can't explain. In the slow corners there is a problem with him, very different from the tests. We have to look at it, but we expect it to be done by the next session," explained Marko.

"During test drives, you don't know the amount of fuel and engine mappings. But Ferrari and we are probably in front, Alonso will annoy the Mercedes with the Aston Martin if they don't find something soon."

"If you compare the Aston Martin with our car, they are very similar. They have brought some employees from us and therefore a lot can probably be deduced."
That interview was before FP2, after FP1.
Ah that's correct, thank you.

Sevach
Sevach

AR3-GP wrote:

AM is like reverse Mercedes from last year, for one team we had "they are stronger than they are showing, just wait" for the other "they are showing off, no way they are this strong".

mendis
mendis

Looking through all the FP2 long run numbers, I think this is where teams stand. My best guess.

1. Red Bull
2. Aston Martin
3. Ferrari
4. Alpine
5. McLaren
6. Mercedes
7. Alfa Romeo
8. Haas
9. Williams
10. Alpha Tauri

Vanja #66

Sevach wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 07:16
AM is like reverse Mercedes from last year, for one team we had "they are stronger than they are showing, just wait" for the other "they are showing off, no way they are this strong".
Hyping is easy marketing. Leave the fuel out, steal the headlines, keep the shareholders happy...
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

atanatizante

It seems that after both FP it'll be a 2 stop race, with the first and last stints on the soft tyres, based on the big delta time between all 3 tyres Pirelli brought here...

At least for the RB and AMR teams as they were focused on this particular tyre in their race stints and the second stint will be on the medium tyre for it gives a better balance both in race and quaky...

So Sunday it'll be a battle between VER, PER and ALO for the win and that driver who manage the tyres the best in order to stretch the first stint the most will have the best odds!
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Timtim99
Timtim99

mendis wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 08:14
Looking through all the FP2 long run numbers, I think this is where teams stand. My best guess.

1. Red Bull
2. Aston Martin
3. Ferrari
4. Alpine
5. McLaren
6. Mercedes
7. Alfa Romeo
8. Haas
9. Williams
10. Alpha Tauri
Based on a practice session? I will give my opinion on this post after the race on Sunday

ChrisF1
ChrisF1

Timtim99 wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 09:11
mendis wrote:

1. Red Bull
2. Aston Martin
3. Ferrari
4. Alpine
5. McLaren
6. Mercedes
7. Alfa Romeo
8. Haas
9. Williams
10. Alpha Tauri
Based on a practice session? I will give my opinion on this post after the race on Sunday
Based on one race? I will give my opinion on this post after the season in Abu Dhabi.

LM10
LM10

Timtim99 wrote:
mendis wrote:

1. Red Bull
2. Aston Martin
3. Ferrari
4. Alpine
5. McLaren
6. Mercedes
7. Alfa Romeo
8. Haas
9. Williams
10. Alpha Tauri
I’ve the feeling that I’ve never seen so many bold predictions already starting with testing day 1 like in this season. :) The bad part is that the majority of them are based on poor or false interpretations of different programs done by teams in testing and free practice.

Matt2725
Matt2725

If there is any truth in what Sam Collins suggested in that Aston were running 9kg less than Red Bull, then Aston are only going to go backwards down the grid.

I've seen figures of 1kg equal to around a tenth in lap time. Rough estimation of course but could suggest Aston being a fair bit slower on comparable fuel loads.

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

LM10 wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 09:27
Timtim99 wrote:
mendis wrote:

1. Red Bull
2. Aston Martin
3. Ferrari
4. Alpine
5. McLaren
6. Mercedes
7. Alfa Romeo
8. Haas
9. Williams
10. Alpha Tauri
I’ve the feeling that I’ve never seen so many bold predictions already starting with testing day 1 like in this season. :) The bad part is that the majority of them are based on poor or false interpretations of different programs done by teams in testing and free practice.
I have, it happens every year at the the Melbourne Cup in Australia :wink:

Silent Storm
Silent Storm

Matt2725 wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 10:28
If there is any truth in what Sam Collins suggested in that Aston were running 9kg less than Red Bull, then Aston are only going to go backwards down the grid.

I've seen figures of 1kg equal to around a tenth in lap time. Rough estimation of course but could suggest Aston being a fair bit slower on comparable fuel loads.
1kg is around 0.03 slower around Bahrain, 9kg will bring them around 3 tenths slower. We don't know where Sam Collins got his info from.
The stat points between an Online Forum and Real Life are inversely proportional...

search

Matt2725 wrote:

not sure where you read that number, but it's not correct. On this track it's 0,034s per kg, so 9kg would equal around 3 tenths.

That quote from Collins was from FP1, by the way, so even if true, it means nothing for the FP2 result

Matt2725
Matt2725

search wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 10:32
Matt2725 wrote:

not sure where you read that number, but it's not correct. On this track it's 0,034s per kg, so 9kg would equal around 3 tenths.

That quote from Collins was from FP1, by the way, so even if true, it means nothing for the FP2 result
They were just some spit balling figures I saw, I never claimed total accuracy.

Regarding FP2, I just don't buy it, especially not the race pace.
I will happily eat humble pie but I'm totally convinced come Sunday, Aston might start high, but will spend the race slowly going backwards.

search

I agree that Aston is likely to drop back quite a bit compared to Red Bull, but so far I see no indication that Ferrari (let alone Mercedes) is going to be quicker, either today or tomorrow.

Alonso pushed hard at the beginning of his long run, probably to see how the tyres react, as he did the opposite during the test (with no tyre fall off at all). So he normally should do better in the race, and that'll likely be mostly on hards anyway, so wear is less of a factor