2023 Canadian Grand Prix - Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve - June 16 - 18

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ME4ME

Re: 2023 Canadian Grand Prix - Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve - June 16 - 18

renault rs26 wrote:
18 Jun 2023, 22:03
3 champions on the podium 11 titles - Newey alone 13.
Indeed.
Surely this must have been the most talented, successfull podium ever in the history of F1.

chrisc90

search wrote:
18 Jun 2023, 22:13
it was a comfortable win for Verstappen, but it actually seems like they've lost a bit of ground the past couple of races. We could still see some other winners in the 2nd half of the season.

Great run by Albon indeed, btw. They would have probably scored a point or two on a normal strategy as well, but went for more, and he made it work.
Id expect a RB update next race or at Silverstone - I dont think we have brought any big upgrades to the table so far this season.

With the CFD penalties - RB will have a LOT of time going in on next years car this early in the season. Im sure Christian has mentioned it at times previously.

Our car is quick enough to finish on the podium for the rest of the season. Others need half a second to truly threaten RB/Max

DGP123
DGP123

search wrote:
18 Jun 2023, 22:13
it was a comfortable win for Verstappen, but it actually seems like they've lost a bit of ground the past couple of races. We could still see some other winners in the 2nd half of the season.
I just don’t see it. Max is laughing and joking, and probably driving at 90%. Perez struggling also probably gives rise to these opinions, but if you had a top driver alongside Max getting the 1-2’s, I’m not sure anybody would be saying they’ve lost ground.

chrisc90

CH just said only 6 corners here so VERY hard to get any temps in the tyres, Perez was damage limitation and probably the best he could have achieved today (words to that effect).

I guess nobody will ever know apart from Max and RB team how much pace is left in that car. Granted they have only just switched to the second engine you would think its running a bit more conservately than others.

zubster
zubster

I reckon redbull still has 0.4 to 0.5 second in hand over Am, but not as much as 0.8s like before. Merc maybe 0.1 to 0.2, behind AM or pretty close.

search

Perez didn't pass a single car today, I think. Considering that, the result was okay, but normally he should have been able to attack those Ferraris at least.

The altitude in Spielberg should reduce their straight line advantage a bit (basically vice versa compared to former years). Yeah, probably not by enough for anyone to close the gap, but I don't think it was a good track for Mercedes today, and taking that into account, the gap was smaller than I would have expected.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

chrisc90 wrote:
18 Jun 2023, 22:21
CH just said only 6 corners here so VERY hard to get any temps in the tyres, Perez was damage limitation and probably the best he could have achieved today (words to that effect).

I guess nobody will ever know apart from Max and RB team how much pace is left in that car. Granted they have only just switched to the second engine you would think its running a bit more conservately than others.
Perez did an ok job today.
Redbull haven't had to push the car to it's absolute limits yet in a fight with Alonso and/or Lewis, there is probably more performance in the car. Hopefully Aston and Mercedes are starting to slowly catch up with Red Bull.

As for Perez? I guess if he's replaced or not will be down to Helmut Marko and Horner. They've shown before
that they can be ruthless when it comes to drivers who don't perform. I'd expect to see Riccardo in the Redbull for a tyre test rather than FP1. I guess they'd only put Riccardo in FP1 if they are looking to replace Perez.

Sieper

Track temps were low, for RBR that is not great as they are already soft on the tires anyway. This was extra troublesome for Perez. Max could “just” (but only just) keep enough heat in the tires. When it is warmer their advantage will be bigger but still, as the start went so good for Max he could comfortably control the race.

chrisc90

search wrote:
18 Jun 2023, 22:37
Perez didn't pass a single car today, I think. Considering that, the result was okay, but normally he should have been able to attack those Ferraris at least.

The altitude in Spielberg should reduce their straight line advantage a bit (basically vice versa compared to former years). Yeah, probably not by enough for anyone to close the gap, but I don't think it was a good track for Mercedes today, and taking that into account, the gap was smaller than I would have expected.
Albon? Sure he got past there. Others struggled.

search

chrisc90 wrote:
18 Jun 2023, 22:46
search wrote:
18 Jun 2023, 22:37

Albon? Sure he got past there. Others struggled.
you're right, yes, forgot about that. On new tyres vs 30 lap old hards, but still.

codetower

Nobody is catching Max/RB. It’s funny how in the blink of an eye, he can pull away from anyone. Without breaking a sweat he pulls away from anyone’s DRS, and when they tell him ALO and HAM are pushing, he tacks another 2 seconds of distance between them.

Don’t be fooled, that RB in Max’s hands is not running at full potential.

chrisc90

codetower wrote:
18 Jun 2023, 22:51
Nobody is catching Max/RB. It’s funny how in the blink of an eye, he can pull away from anyone. Without breaking a sweat he pulls away from anyone’s DRS, and when they tell him ALO and HAM are pushing, he tacks another 2 seconds of distance between them.

Its a VERY clever tactic. Use the pace to get the gap the the car behind (effectively minimising 95% of the risk) then just manage the gap and tyres by lapping 2-3 tenths quicker. Keeps plenty back for if there does become a threat from behind if others pick up the pace.

Sieper

Lewis did that for years, the well known 5 sec gap.

But I do believe Max when he said he could barely keep the temps up today. Doesn’t mean he can’t go quicker, just that that was hard. All 3 champs said that it was hard today.

langedweil

djones wrote:
18 Jun 2023, 21:41
Hamilton has more race wins than Redbull.
That kind of puts things in context.
Some say he wasn't even dominant in those years ..
HuggaWugga !

vanburin

codetower wrote:
18 Jun 2023, 22:51

The radio call during this point to Max was very telling: "the others behind you are pushing much more than you are", all while Max at worst was maintaining the gap to Alonso, if not slightly extending it.

That RB/Max connection has loads more pace. Then there's Checo who was lapping at nearly half a second a lap slower than Max, all while Max is managing his pace up front. At this point worrying about Perez's confidence level is a futile effort, he's lost it completely. His only saving grace right now is the substantial lead RB has in the Constructors Championship.