Ferrari SF23

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
vorticism

Re: Ferrari SF23

The FW endplate strake also changed, essentially flipped upside down. Probably the LEAST important detail on this wing, though.
𓄀

dialtone
dialtone

This is a very different car from start of season, I'm very surprised as Ferrari hasn't brought big updates like this in such a long time. At least this big aero change signals a different development philosophy.

Vanja #66

ing. wrote:
28 Jun 2023, 15:18
Steep angle of the floor top probably benefitting from pressure/flow field around the SIS bulge. At least that would be one unintended benefit of not having the SIS down low, even though it still looks out of place and would probably not be there if they had the possibility to move it.

Good to see the effort expended for more undercut—even if to gain a few mm’s—and get some early learning towards the 2024 car.
In my view, Ferrari is doing the same thing with SIS bulge as RB is doing with baku-spec sidepods, both are featuring an extended sidepod geometry in the low end of the undercut. Just that longitudinal location is obviously different. I don't think they will keep lower SIS within sidepods next year, but I wouldn't be surprised if they chose a concept where they still do it even with big undercut. A bit OT now, I think they will go with RB-like front part of the sidepods and then still make them wash in in the back (with further refinement of the existing geometry) and expand the tubs on the top part to something like how they started SF-23.

And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

organic

The flap to endplate junction now very similar to RB with the winglet on inner face of endplate & the uppermost flap element extending further rewards than the endplate, just rearward of said winglet

Endplate also now rounded rather than square (another change RB adopted for the rb19)

And here is a good angle of the new wing's flaps. There is a significant change also not just at the extremities. around the nose and its junction to the 2nd element is entirely new geometry.

Vanja #66

The slots at endplate joint are also clearly much bigger, allowing more air to feed the bottom endplate vortex. We can also clearly see the different shape of endplate curvature (now pure outwash instead of chicane-like). The first flap chord is shorter, second longer. 4th flap is visibly bigger, but from this angle it's hard to say whether its the angle, the chord or overall planform surface increase.

organic wrote:
29 Jun 2023, 11:25
And here is a good angle of the new wing's flaps. There is a significant change also not just at the extremities. around the nose and its junction to the 2nd element is entirely new geometry.

Looks like they also have 2 new different 4th flap geometries, higher load (left) and lower load (right), lower load has no g-flap and drops down lower towards the endplate. In Fiorano they tested the higher load one.
Last edited by Vanja #66 on 29 Jun 2023, 11:43, edited 2 times in total.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Sevach
Sevach

TechF1

organic

gordonthegun

This photo is from the Spanish GP, when the new sidepods were introduced.
The pull-rod entry into the bodywork is very close to the floor:

This one is from today. The pull rod entry seems in a higher position:

organic

Shows the extent to which the floor fences now protrude

hollus

OK, sooooo... what cars (never painted in red) used to be called like in the middle of seasons in the 90s is a tad out of topic here. Those will be moved or deleted (they were moved to the team thread, even if they are also a bit off there?).

Remember, please, in the car threads, a bit more on topic than in other threads: focus on this car, this year.
Rivals, not enemies.

f1316
f1316

gordonthegun wrote:
29 Jun 2023, 18:41

https://cdn-6.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... ion-1.webp

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FzzVmF9WYAQ ... name=large
Wow great spot. I’m conscious of angles and how they can fool you but looking at these it seems hard to argue against there being a difference. I wonder if there were compatible shots in Canada or if this forms part of the set up changes (inc softer suspension settings) that they supposedly found at the tyre test?

dialtone
dialtone

f1316 wrote:
gordonthegun wrote:

Wow great spot. I’m conscious of angles and how they can fool you but looking at these it seems hard to argue against there being a difference. I wonder if there were compatible shots in Canada or if this forms part of the set up changes (inc softer suspension settings) that they supposedly found at the tyre test?
Nah they're the same, engine cover is very different. You can't change the suspension without changing half the car.

jambuka
jambuka

f1316 wrote:
29 Jun 2023, 20:13
gordonthegun wrote:

Seems to me this helps in relaxing the suspension and improving the operating window.

Sevach
Sevach