2023 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, June 30 - July 02

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
vorticism

Re: 2023 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, June 30 - July 02

ringo wrote: ↑
01 Jul 2023, 20:29
If everyone catches up to redbull the races should be exciting in the future.
Exciting in the sense of a top team being hamstrung by parity regulations, yes, very exciting; who wouldn't want that? Oh, what might have been 2014-2020, what excitement could have been had if a benevolent bureacracy had brought fair equity to that grim era. Oh, had the bureau held the hand of all the teams, and not only one, eight seasons of excitement could have been had. :-({|=
π“„€

chrisc90

vorticism wrote: ↑
01 Jul 2023, 20:19
chrisc90 wrote: ↑
01 Jul 2023, 17:52
AR3-GP wrote: ↑
01 Jul 2023, 17:25

That was a remarkable sight. However, it could give them grief with the cooler conditions tomorrow.

Tomorrow has to be warmer as far as I’m aware. No risk of rain
How's the visit been so far?
Great! Bit of a long travel to/from Vienna but the tracks been awesome! See tonnes of action from the stand and the rain didn’t really bother you much as wasn’t massively heavy!

Looking forward to tomorrow

Sieper

Good, enjoy!

JPower
JPower

Should be a good race tomorrow behind Max. Lewis will likely be right there with the Ferraris just knowing how well the Mercedes treats its tires.

This is the best Sainz has been since the 2nd half of the 2020 season. Quick and consistent. After a difficult 2022 its good to see him back to his strengths.

Big Tea

Sieper wrote: ↑
01 Jul 2023, 19:03
Big Tea wrote: ↑
01 Jul 2023, 18:29
I thought a better race before allowing DRS. Could DRS be part of the problem (in normal races) not the answer?
In this race, yes. The DRS here is quite powerfull anyway and lots of cars were still out of position. In the drying it is perhaps better to leave it alone. But normally, imho we need DRS.
I would like to see it removed at least for a season, just for a try-out.
When it was introduced the cars were far different to today, and even then it just replaced racing with the ability to just blow past if you had more power.
As it was the most famous drivers and cars that benefit from it, there was little complaint (or little complaint from where it mattered).
I miss the cars setting up for takes into or out of corners, and the choice of opting for a high speed or good acceleration, but that is gone anyway now as power is a non issue and with the available power a faster car is usually going to fly by on the straight anyway.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Zynerji

01 Jul 2023, 23:00
01 Jul 2023, 18:29
I thought a better race before allowing DRS. Could DRS be part of the problem (in normal races) not the answer?
In this race, yes. The DRS here is quite powerfull anyway and lots of cars were still out of position. In the drying it is perhaps better to leave it alone. But normally, imho we need DRS.
When it was introduced the cars were far different to today, and even then it just replaced racing with the ability to just blow past if you had more power.
As it was the most famous drivers and cars that benefit from it, there was little complaint (or little complaint from where it mattered).
I miss the cars setting up for takes into or out of corners, and the choice of opting for a high speed or good acceleration, but that is gone anyway now as power is a non issue and with the available power a faster car is usually going to fly by on the straight anyway.
Let's try unlimited DRS before removing completely, please. Big balls before processions anyday!

Big Tea

Zynerji wrote: ↑
01 Jul 2023, 23:01

Let's try unlimited DRS before removing completely, please. Big balls before processions anyday!
What would be the advantage of unlimited DRS? If everyone has it it is not going to make any difference?
If you gain 15mph, so does the car in front of you.

Zynerji

01 Jul 2023, 23:04

What would be the advantage of unlimited DRS? If everyone has it it is not going to make any difference?
Watch the 2011ish qualifying where it was unlimited. It definitely separated the men from the boys.

Big Tea

01 Jul 2023, 23:06

Watch the 2011ish qualifying where it was unlimited. It definitely separated the men from the boys.
'The Men' being those in the 3 fastest teams who would have filled the top spots anyway?

vorticism

2009-2010 they had it on the FW, might be worth recollecting.

01 Jul 2023, 23:06
2010 they were operating the F-duct, which meant one hand on the wheel, while holding the front DRS, and when adjusting the brake bias I think I even saw zero hands on the wheel at one point :!: :lol: and many were still paddle shifting.
π“„€

Sevach
Sevach

What stood out today was how close the cars are. A williams, a Haas, a mclaren, an alpine, an Alfa romeo were not walk overs for top cars like Ferrari and Mercedes. The only weak one is the Toro Roso. If everyone catches up to redbull the races should be exciting in the future.
In a way budget cap + aero sliding scale is delivering what they were made to do, and then there's Red Bull with Verstappen.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

vorticism wrote: ↑
01 Jul 2023, 23:17
2009-2010 they had it on the FW, might be worth recollecting.
The front wing system actually added front flap IIRC in order to compensate for the loss of front downforce when trying to follow. So the opposite of DRS really.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

What stood out today was how close the cars are. A williams, a Haas, a mclaren, an alpine, an Alfa romeo were not walk overs for top cars like Ferrari and Mercedes.
Isn't this primarily because DRS was disabled?

Matt2725
Matt2725

I like George, but aren't you supposed to stay to the right of the pit entry line when entering said pits? It might have changed but I remember Yuki being penalised for straying wide twice at this same circuit.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

This was from the lap he entered the pits for softs in the sprint.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Matt2725 wrote: ↑
02 Jul 2023, 03:23
I like George, but aren't you supposed to stay to the right of the pit entry line when entering said pits? It might have changed but I remember Yuki being penalised for straying wide twice at this same circuit.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

This was from the lap he entered the pits for softs in the sprint.
https://i.imgur.com/RYGcniw.png
You are not wrong. Here are the event notes for this weekend:

It would be difficult to argue that this qualifies for force majeure considering that the DRS had been enabled and the circuit was almost dry at this point. He also didn't have any mechanical issue that might have qualified for an abrupt pitlane visit.
Last edited by AR3-GP on 02 Jul 2023, 03:51, edited 2 times in total.