2023 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, June 30 - July 02

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
vorticism

Re: 2023 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, June 30 - July 02

dans79 wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 22:14
As i've mentioned already track limits could be monitored in real time accurately, with tech you can find in kids toys.
Down facing camera with light might work; that's what dialtone was also suggesting? Plus review team. They have ride height and slip angle sensors, maybe they could be used to measure instantaneous presence of paint lines. I like the dumb tech redundancy of track:slick-zone:asphalt, or mechanical switches attached to lights (a most basic type of circuit).
𓄀

Sevach
Sevach

We need higher curbs, all of a sudden drivers will have a lot less trouble keeping their cars on track.

chrisc90

Football needs to bring its VAR cameras or the ones you see in tennis or cricket which can get decisions quickly

mwillems

If this gets overturned can you imagine the furore. To have not considered this first. My team (Mclaren) gained points so I'm not angry and of course Sainz already had his warning so in this instance it is fair, but if I supported another team I would be upset.

Not only does it not seem fair to those who didn't get a B&W Flag, it seems unfair to those who got multiple extra penalties, as they may have slowed down further had the next penalty hit them in the race.

Drivers are being penalised because the FIA couldn't keep up. And it wasn't an issue keeping track of whether they'd gone out of track limits, it was an issue with giving the right penalties AFTER the time was deleted. The times were all deleted correctly. This was just a cock up by the team applying the penalties, all the hard work was done, they just didn't complete the process.
Last edited by mwillems on 02 Jul 2023, 23:22, edited 1 time in total.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

mwillems

chrisc90 wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 23:14
Football needs to bring its VAR cameras or the ones you see in tennis or cricket which can get decisions quickly
It'd be more like the goal line technology as VAR is manual. This is supplied by HawkEye which is also used in Tennis and Cricket and has been for many many years.

They can even process multiple camera angles now to get a full 3d representation.

There are probably a lot of ideas that could work. An RF chip aside the wheel and a set of readers on the ground would be fine. Imagine chip and pin but all it has to do is receive the car ID as the chip gets close enough.

Big Tea

I predict a riot in the betting shops tomorrow.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

AMG.Tzan

How can they hand out penalties when they didn’t even give a warning to a driver about his offense?

This is ridiculous and can’t stand! If the these drivers had been warned that they are on the verge of getting a penalty or that they already got a penalty they would have been more careful afterwards and stopped doing it probably! Most of the drivers did so and stopped going wide after getting the penalty!

F1 has a ton of problems right now and they seem to be focusing on irrelevant stuff that don’t even change the real result and just makes the whole show look like a clown show…

At least MotoGP uses an automatic system to instantly detect riders when they go beyond the white lines and they instantly delete lap times or give warnings!

This Motorsport season is just ridiculous! Borefests and clown stuff everywhere you look…

(Not to mention the FIA restarting a junior race at Spa just for one lap in soaking wet conditions just for the “spectacle”. I guess we all know when that precedent of “let’s not finish behind the safety car for the sake of entertainment” was set! There you go then…the results are out!) =D>
Last edited by AMG.Tzan on 02 Jul 2023, 23:48, edited 1 time in total.
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

dans79

vorticism wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 23:09
Down facing camera with light might work; that's what dialtone was also suggesting?
Line tracking robots be it kids toys, warehouse robots, etc are usually IR based. An IR light fires downwards and an IR sensor(photodiode) monitors the reflection.

when over something like white paint the intensity of the reflection increases. The effect can be amplified even further if you use special paint.

In competitions like the following the robot follows the black line, but the underlying tech is the same, just reversed logic. Keep in mind this is still super cheap hardware.

You can get real accurate & precise with this tech when you start pulsing the IR light source, or looking for a very specific wavelength, or both.

Needless to say it would be light years better than what they are doing now. And it won't miss anything as sampling rate would be very high.
Last edited by dans79 on 02 Jul 2023, 23:45, edited 1 time in total.
197 104 103 7

langedweil

Just_a_fan wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 22:36
White line infringements? Woah, that's race penalties galore.

Deliberately impeding a qualifying lap? Er, sorry, what, where, when, how? Oh, never mind.

What a joke is F1 today. :roll:
Hold on to that thought ...
HuggaWugga !

Cuky

AMG.Tzan wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 23:38
How can they hand out penalties when they didn’t even give a warning to a driver about his offense?
IMHO drivers were warned about laps being deleted for going wide and if they can navigate tracks (including street circuits) with millimeter precision then I say they are fully aware of instances when they go wide. And they saw it happening in qualifying, in sprint and in feeder series and they knew quite well that all they had to do is stay within white lines. And yet they didn't.

On the other hand, as far as I am concerned F1 lacks clear guidance on track limits. Yes, rules define what is and isn't considered to be part of the track, but over the years F1 has been policing those limits inconsistently and only on some corners. They should write it in the rules so that it is clear that any excursion off track, except in cases where someone pushes you out or you spin out or you get out on the gravel/grass and loose a ton of time, would be counted towards drivers' tally and after certain amount of excursions they get a final warning and then a pre-defined penalty which is the same for everyone who deserves it and is not left out for stewards discretion.

dialtone
dialtone

organic wrote:The document

The Stewards very strongly recommend that a solution be found to the track limits situation at this circuit.

organic

dialtone wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 23:47

https://i.imgur.com/23atELc.jpeg
The Stewards very strongly recommend that a solution be found to the track limits situation at this circuit.
Hurrah for the stewards they have solved the problem

chrisc90

organic wrote:
dialtone wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/23atELc.jpeg
Hurrah for the stewards they have solved the problem

In other words…
We need someone to fix the problem so we have less work to do and less chances of screwing up.

Redragon

AMG.Tzan wrote:

This is ridiculous and can’t stand! If the these drivers had been warned that they are on the verge of getting a penalty or that they already got a penalty they would have been more careful afterwards and stopped doing it probably! Most of the drivers did so and stopped going wide after getting the penalty!

F1 has a ton of problems right now and they seem to be focusing on irrelevant stuff that don’t even change the real result and just makes the whole show look like a clown show…

At least MotoGP uses an automatic system to instantly detect riders when they go beyond the white lines and they instantly delete lap times or give warnings!

This Motorsport season is just ridiculous! Borefests and clown stuff everywhere you look…

(Not to mention the FIA restarting a junior race at Spa just for one lap in soaking wet conditions just for the “spectacle”. I guess we all know when that precedent of “let’s not finish behind the safety car for the sake of entertainment” was set! There you go then…the results are out!) =D>
There were around 100 laps to analize, yes the FIA should be applying instantly with better system. But Drivers in Monaco don't go over the limits because there is a wall and to make it drive slowly. If the drivers didn't get penalized after the race for exceding the track limits would have been unfair for those who stuck to the limits and drive slower to make it. You take a risk and sometimes pays out and sometimes not. They knew the rule and consequences before the race.

mwillems

Cuky wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 23:46
AMG.Tzan wrote:
IMHO drivers were warned about laps being deleted for going wide and if they can navigate tracks (including street circuits) with millimeter precision then I say they are fully aware of instances when they go wide. And they saw it happening in qualifying, in sprint and in feeder series and they knew quite well that all they had to do is stay within white lines. And yet they didn't.

On the other hand, as far as I am concerned F1 lacks clear guidance on track limits. Yes, rules define what is and isn't considered to be part of the track, but over the years F1 has been policing those limits inconsistently and only on some corners. They should write it in the rules so that it is clear that any excursion off track, except in cases where someone pushes you out or you spin out or you get out on the gravel/grass and loose a ton of time, would be counted towards drivers' tally and after certain amount of excursions they get a final warning and then a pre-defined penalty which is the same for everyone who deserves it and is not left out for stewards discretion.
It needs to be a Black and White flag or they break their own rules.

Or is it another "You must live within the letter of the law but we can make the law up as we go along" ruling?

I'm sure I've seen something like that before in recent years 🤣