2023 Japanese Grand Prix - Suzuka, Sep 22 - 24

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
basti313
basti313

Re: 2023 Japanese Grand Prix - Suzuka, Sep 22 - 24

DGP123 wrote:
24 Sep 2023, 13:37
Zynerji wrote:
24 Sep 2023, 13:28
Sergio is done.
No alternatives. Yuki, Daniel or Liam going in there, does not change the landscape. RB driver programme has been done for a long time too. They either keep it status quo, or go massively outside the box. They won’t want to upset the dynamic, and they’ve won both championships. Therefore, Checo has to depressingly remain for 2024, and we get the same outcome.

If I had my way, I’d have Norris in at RB, and bring in Palou at McLaren. Not happening though.
Well, which driver program is not down the sink?

Palou will not match anyone. He needs a year to get a fair knowledge of the tires and another one to get familiar...no way anyone from Indy can join F1.

My bet is still we see Ric in the RedBull next year.
Don`t russel the hamster!

balex
balex

George is free to pick whichever wildcard strategy he likes, and I'm glad he does because it makes things interesting. But he was the only one of the whole field to even attempt the one-stop. To expect Lewis to be responsible for making George's unilateral strategy decisions work - and therefore be bound by the same strategy - is to lack a sense of personal responsibility for taking risky decisions.

Mogster

I just done see evidence that Palou has the unusual pace needed for F1, he also drives for Ganassi, comfortably the best team in Indycar with a highly experienced team playing teammate. In F1 I feel Palou would be be buried by a fast aggressive teammate.

From the Indycar crowd I’d still be interested to see Herta in an F1 car for a couple of seasons. RBRs response to Herta’s sim and test sessions was certainly raised eyebrows and Marko was convinced enough to want him in the team. However Herta in an F1 car isn’t going to happen (SL points) unless Andretti up their team game or Herta moves team. I don’t see either if these things happening.

the EDGE
the EDGE

basti313 wrote:
24 Sep 2023, 13:41
DGP123 wrote:
Zynerji wrote:
24 Sep 2023, 13:28
Sergio is done.
No alternatives. Yuki, Daniel or Liam going in there, does not change the landscape. RB driver programme has been done for a long time too. They either keep it status quo, or go massively outside the box. They won’t want to upset the dynamic, and they’ve won both championships. Therefore, Checo has to depressingly remain for 2024, and we get the same outcome.

If I had my way, I’d have Norris in at RB, and bring in Palou at McLaren. Not happening though.

Palou will not match anyone. He needs a year to get a fair knowledge of the tires and another one to get familiar...no way anyone from Indy can join F1.

‘IF’ someone can mount a half decent challenge next year, keeping Perez in the second RB could cost them the WCC, I can’t see them letting that happen

There is every chance RIC could start next year in the RB20 if he performs over the remaining races. Lady Luck has not been on his side recently though so we will see

CHT
CHT

Considering the tires Hamilton had, he was surely in a better position than George to keep Carlos behind him. By switching the drivers around and running behind Lewis in dirty air, there is no chance for George to defend his position.

IMO, this team order was absolutely unnecessary.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Suddenly team mate penalties are a thing. Funny that.

People happy for Russell to be penalised for his "aggressive" pushing of Leclerc off track whilst "defending"?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

JPower
JPower

I'm liking the teammate battles up and down the grid lately. So dramatic. :lol:

I don't remember the back and forth to this extent in recent year. Usually its 2-3 teams, this year its 6-7.

I think Leclerc vs Sainz at Monza still takes the cake.

ringo

Just_a_fan wrote:
24 Sep 2023, 15:12

People happy for Russell to be penalised for his "aggressive" pushing of Leclerc off track whilst "defending"?
Yes just last week the RBR ans AT shenanigans were okay.
We would have to see the replays but something tells me Russel went into a closing space and hung around like he usually does.
It's not the first we see him do this.
But remember Hamilton must be blamed for something each race.
For Sure!!

napoleon1981
napoleon1981

ringo wrote:
24 Sep 2023, 15:35
Just_a_fan wrote:

We would have to see the replays but something tells me Russel went into a closing space and hung around like he usually does.
Hamilton ran him of track similar to verstappen running Hamilton off in Brazil. Seems like people are applying the same inconsistency in evaluating the incidents based on their fan bias as the stewards do.

Sieper

napoleon1981 wrote:
24 Sep 2023, 15:46
ringo wrote:
24 Sep 2023, 15:35
Just_a_fan wrote:

Hamilton ran him of track similar to verstappen running Hamilton off in Brazil. Seems like people are applying the same inconsistency in evaluating the incidents based on their fan bias as the stewards do.
Not a squeak now, back then the forum was being burned down. This is how it goes with fans, consistency usually is the first thing out the door.

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

the EDGE wrote:
24 Sep 2023, 14:09
basti313 wrote:
24 Sep 2023, 13:41
DGP123 wrote:

‘IF’ someone can mount a half decent challenge next year, keeping Perez in the second RB could cost them the WCC, I can’t see them letting that happen

There is every chance RIC could start next year in the RB20 if he performs over the remaining races. Lady Luck has not been on his side recently though so we will see
Yeah thats the route they need to take. Perez has completely lost the plot and you just cant take another chance with him in 24. Not only his pace has been poor but his race craft has been embarrassing.

epo
epo

Every race thread this season and before, Mercedes not competing in any top spot yet the race thread is only about Mercedes and defending every move of Hamilton and praise him like the lord. Just sad to see this and only getting worse.

chrisc90

ringo wrote:
24 Sep 2023, 16:00
Nonsense. Two incidents are not similar.
Hamilton stayed on his line. MAX went off track to push of Lewis in Brasil.
Why dont someone post some gif or replays for it to be analyzed?
Unfortunately the replay of Lewis' onboard changes camera to the rear wing JUST as he's entering the corner.

Here is Russell's onboard.

I will try and find some footage of the line of a car following through Spoon so it can be compared.

Here is Sainz chasing down the 2 Mercedes.

1st lap I picked out (earliest in race)

and the lap following:

Guess i'll leave that one to others to compare the lines and draw and voice their own conclusions, but I dont think Lewis was off line much. The second clip is a little more representative to what happened, HOWEVER, Sainz wasnt as far alongside as George was.

Must say: - Lewis' push lap on the in-lap was VERY sloppy. Wide at Degner 2, the incident with George, and locking up into the final chicane.

chrisc90

Couple screen grabs from ROUGHLY the same spot in the corner.

Russell onboard:

Sainz onboard:

ringo

chrisc90 wrote:
24 Sep 2023, 16:47
ringo wrote:
24 Sep 2023, 16:00
Nonsense. Two incidents are not similar.
Hamilton stayed on his line. MAX went off track to push of Lewis in Brasil.
Why dont someone post some gif or replays for it to be analyzed?
Unfortunately the replay of Lewis' onboard changes camera to the rear wing JUST as he's entering the corner.

Here is Russell's onboard.

I will try and find some footage of the line of a car following through Spoon so it can be compared.

Here is Sainz chasing down the 2 Mercedes.

1st lap I picked out (earliest in race)

and the lap following:

Guess i'll leave that one to others to compare the lines and draw and voice their own conclusions, but I dont think Lewis was off line much. The second clip is a little more representative to what happened, HOWEVER, Sainz wasnt as far alongside as George was.

Must say: - Lewis' push lap on the in-lap was VERY sloppy. Wide at Degner 2, the incident with George, and locking up into the final chicane.
The russel hamilton is touch and go. Russel understeered and was not alongside. As you can see with his front wheel tapping hamilton's rear.
No where close to max and lewis in brasil.
No further investigation in my book.
For Sure!!