Red Bull RB20

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
stewie325
stewie325

Re: Red Bull RB20

vorticism wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 09:37
djos wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 09:31
Interesting theory, my only critique is that the weight of the added plumbing would be why no one has ever done this.

I would suggest those slots are cooling for the battery and electronics which are much closer to that area that the ICE is.
Very well could be, and it could be an S-duct or some other type of duct. But the coincidence of finding slot where an engine intake is, oddly, permitted, seemed like too much of a coincidence. A question would be, why did Ferrari choose the S-duct if it's permissible to also place engine intakes there.
It's not a coincidence at all =D>
"The team can make further use of a trick it deployed in 2023 to partly offset the Aerodynamic Testing Restrictions which limit wind tunnel runs and CFD simulations – with Red Bull the most affected last year due to its lead in the constructors’ championship in addition to a further 10% cut as punishment for exceeding the 2021 cost cap.
The Aerodynamic Testing Restrictions allow exceptions for “wind tunnel testing solely for the development of power unit heat exchangers that reject heat to air, or the running of the power unit from a boundary commencing at the power unit air intake ducts. As per last season, and again with a shift to Mercedes-style zero-pods, Red Bull has placed an emphasis on upgrades that lean towards cooling. The repackaging of the internal components falls outside of the ATR to then enable the team to spend less of its allowance refining the external bodywork."
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/red-b ... /10576566/

organic

Autosport reports that RB will bring zeropods at Japan

Venturiation
Venturiation

So it was true both RB and McLaren saw the limitations and moved to mike eliott concept

Seeing McLaren having the mid-wing already they could bring it before redbull

organic

organic wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 11:19

@Vanja was it you that suggested teams might want to run completely different bodywork for hot Vs cold races
Autosport understands that this design is due to remain only for the hot conditions of pre-season testing and the opening rounds in Bahrain, Australia and Saudi Arabia.

djos

Wow, if RedBull really bring zero pods, and it works, the Mercedes engineers will all be out the back of the wind tunnel blowing their brains out! :o
"In downforce we trust"

AMG.Tzan

So Elliot was right after all and was 3 years ahead already! He went straight to the ultimate aero design 😂😂

What a way to take revenge on your team without even saying a word or moving your little finger…
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

LM10
LM10

So Mercedes has abandoned this concept after struggling for a long time to get it right with actual on-track data and they want to introduce this very concept? What is it, lack of trust in the abilities of Mercedes and confidence in their own? :)

AMG.Tzan

LM10 wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 11:38
So Mercedes has abandoned this concept after struggling for a long time to get it right with actual on-track data and they want to introduce this very concept? What is it, lack of trust in the abilities of Mercedes and confidence in their own? :)
They were struggling because they didn’t have the suspension and floor design to back it up!

Red Bull have both of these…
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

morefirejules08
morefirejules08

djos wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 11:35
Wow, if RedBull really bring zero pods, and it works, the Mercedes engineers will all be out the back of the wind tunnel blowing their brains out! :o
And if it doesn’t work it’ll prove the move away from the concept was the right choice. Saying that, I don’t think we’re going to see a full fat zeropod from RB.

Francesc
Francesc

This is so funny and entertaining. =D> :lol:

djos

morefirejules08 wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 11:43
djos wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 11:35
And if it doesn’t work it’ll prove the move away from the concept was the right choice. Saying that, I don’t think we’re going to see a full fat zeropod from RB.
I’m done guessing, we’ll just have to wait and see.
"In downforce we trust"

Vanja #66

organic wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 11:19

Just to put this on time, anything that's not this is not zeropods :mrgreen:

With a very loose technical language that jurnous use lately, I will believe it when I see it. Let's not forget how SF23 Evo was supposed to have fully downwashing sides in Barcelona (like Merc brought to Monaco) only for it to be basically inwash design with a twist.

organic wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 11:31
@Vanja was it you that suggested teams might want to run completely different bodywork for hot Vs cold races
Wasn't me and I wouldn't take it like that actually. It reads as if the novel design is first made for colder, spring weather of Japan and later races. I don't think you'd want to use a bodywork set of lower performance just because it's more conservative on cooling.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

LM10
LM10

AMG.Tzan wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 11:39
They were struggling because they didn’t have the suspension and floor design to back it up!

Red Bull’s floor was designed for their concept, not for zeropods.

And I very much doubt that Mercedes has missed the opportunity to simply change their suspension layout to make the zeropod concept work, if it indeed was the only solution for their issues.

morefirejules08
morefirejules08

AMG.Tzan wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 11:39
LM10 wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 11:38

Not forgetting the huge drag penalty of a true zeropod. I would be surprised if Newey would give up aero efficiency for peak DF as it would be a complete reversal of the past 2 years.

Cs98
Cs98

morefirejules08 wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 12:51
Venturiation wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 12:31
morefirejules08 wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 11:58

Not forgetting the huge drag penalty of a true zeropod. I would be surprised if Newey would give up aero efficiency for peak DF as it would be a complete reversal of the past 2 years.
off topic
off topic
Well, let's wait and see. This "zeropod" could very well just be a novel sidepod shape which is smaller than what they presented during the launch. But if it truly is a zeropod I would expect their chances of success to be higher than Merc, given their results with these rules and the fact they have the Merc failure to draw on.