Red Bull RB20

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
DiogoBrand

Re: Red Bull RB20

vorticism wrote:
18 Feb 2024, 18:37
Interestingly the dual-engine-intake concept I proposed a couple of days ago only helps with small sidepods, because it leaves the roll hoop as strictly a radiator inlet.

I'm not sure it would be beneficial to have the warmer and dirtier air from down low feeding the intake.

Zynerji

DiogoBrand wrote:
18 Feb 2024, 18:57
vorticism wrote:
Interestingly the dual-engine-intake concept I proposed a couple of days ago only helps with small sidepods, because it leaves the roll hoop as strictly a radiator inlet.

I'm not sure it would be beneficial to have the warmer and dirtier air from down low feeding the intake.
Sadly, with how non-intuitive these PUs are, it may actually be beneficial. :?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

DiogoBrand wrote:
18 Feb 2024, 18:57
vorticism wrote:

If I had to guess, the inlet air temperature is inconsequential because the turbocharging raises the temperature so much that the intercooler effectiveness has the biggest impact on the temperature of the air entering the cylinder.

As to whether that inlet is ingesting too much losses? I've never quantified that so I'm not sure whether it is consequential however uou would definitely prefer that the air doesn't have velocity components going any which way.
Last edited by AR3-GP on 18 Feb 2024, 19:23, edited 1 time in total.

vorticism

Zynerji wrote:
18 Feb 2024, 19:10
Temp is higher closer to the track, can't avoid that. Question is: by how much? And does it matter. More chance of ingesting debris but again: how much? Air filters prevent particle ingestion; oversize air filter area to address higher dust/particle load. Larger objects (pebbles, tar) would only pose an issue if they accumulate beyond a predetermined allowance provided by oversizing the duct and its inlet. The big prize: in yaw you get ideal intake conditions on one half of the intake wye pipe like you could not get with a roll hoop inlet. The halves could be oversized to provide >50% of total intake flow.
𓄀

dialtone
dialtone

vorticism wrote:
Zynerji wrote:
18 Feb 2024, 19:10
Temp is higher closer to the track, can't avoid that. Question is: by how much? And does it matter. More chance of ingesting debris but again: how much? Air filters prevent particle ingestion; oversize air filter area to address higher dust/particle load. Larger objects (pebbles, tar) would only pose an issue if they accumulate beyond a predetermined allowance provided by oversizing the duct and its inlet.
The whole idea of the split turbo was to gain few degrees from compressor in front rather than next to turbine, even in the face of a cooling layer in between the 2, like Ferrari has.

So it’s obviously going to be worse, but it’s a trade off so if they go that route, they will have found better gains from the aero side than the losses due to higher temp and more turbulent air in the compressor.

Basically all changes come with trade offs.

And as it was pointed out that area would have little room for air filtration. Oil, dust and marbles are plentyful the closer to ground so you can’t just straight pipe it through.

deadhead

maybe this is the first car designed with the help of "AI" :mrgreen:

vorticism

deadhead wrote:
18 Feb 2024, 19:35
Adrian's Intelligence? Nah, there's been at least forty others.
𓄀

Venturiation
Venturiation

vorticism wrote:
18 Feb 2024, 19:36
deadhead wrote:
18 Feb 2024, 19:35
Adrian's Intelligence? Nah, there's been at least forty others.

"Adrian is a big part of the team and our achieved performance. But of course his role has evolved over the years and the technical team under him, led by Pierre Wache, is doing a great job. They are not dependent on Adrian," said Horner.

https://racingnews365.com/horner-keeps- ... -own-money

Henk_v
Henk_v

These cars are turbocharged. I doubt any ram pressure at the inlet is significant. Pressure fields are in millibars, while the turbo charges to several bars.

Cooling is passive. The flow over the radiators is determined by the inlet pressure, the outlet pressure and the internal air resistance.

Due to reasons explained many times here, RB has been fully focussed on the latter as it is not a restricted development or restricted by their penalty.

If you ask me, they have been tweaking the outlet pressure (suction) for allmost 2 years too with the bodywork. My guess is that they may be the only team that can permit fooling around with abnormale inlets as they have increasingly become less dependent on ram pressure on big inlets.

Looking at the RB20 cannon exit, the exiting cooling air is now almost perpendicular to the energised flow over the top of the diffuser. This must generate a very powerful venturi effect on the exits.

I think they are using the high energy air that ineveitably is there, but does not benefit the diffuser or beam wing, to powerfully extract cooling air.

djos

I agree that the ram effect is not useful for the turbo cars, what is useful is the cleaner, cooler air you get from that location.

It’s my understanding that there is a fairly large temperature delta, especially when running behind other cars. Cooler air in, means less work for the intercoolers, and likely lower charge air temps.
"In downforce we trust"

Henk_v
Henk_v

Well, the intercooler works with a very high delta T on the intake air. A few degrees of inlet temperature changes relatively little on the intercooler intake air outlet temperature. But still, a lilltle can be a lot in F1...

Engine cooling is much lower dT. There it matters a great deal.

deadhead

Henk_v wrote:
18 Feb 2024, 22:44

If you ask me, they have been tweaking the outlet pressure (suction) for allmost 2 years too with the bodywork. My guess is that they may be the only team that can permit fooling around with abnormale inlets as they have increasingly become less dependent on ram pressure on big inlets.
Is it due to some development from Honda or am I misunderstanding? If the engine requires a certain amount of cooling, there is only so much you can do?

djos

Henk_v wrote:
18 Feb 2024, 22:57
Well, the intercooler works with a very high delta T on the intake air. A few degrees of inlet temperature changes relatively little on the intercooler intake air outlet temperature. But still, a lilltle can be a lot in F1...

Engine cooling is much lower dT. There it matters a great deal.
Very true. I know colder temps impact road cars with marginal sized intercoolers, although I don’t know how fine the margins are on F1 cars.

I can’t imagine them wanting to run anything larger than they absolutely need.
"In downforce we trust"

dialtone
dialtone

deadhead wrote:
Henk_v wrote:
18 Feb 2024, 22:44

Is it due to some development from Honda or am I misunderstanding? If the engine requires a certain amount of cooling, there is only so much you can do?
He’s saying that the layout of the inlet and outlet on the chassis is generating enough pressure differential to suck air in even with awkward angles in the inlet

Sevach
Sevach

organic wrote:
18 Feb 2024, 09:04
Sevach wrote:
18 Feb 2024, 07:36
AR3-GP wrote:
18 Feb 2024, 04:26
There's something very "unfinished" about the sidepods and I can't put my finger on it.
Various publications are saying a zero pod is coming, i'll believe when i see it.
No doubt there will be sweeping changes happening across Bahrain + Japan but I have good reason not to believe the current reports of 'zeropods' coming
Yup, Red Bull tweaked their inlets many times, Ferrari tried as they might to give more undercut to their car... all these changes are possible, likely even.
"Zeropods"? Color me dubious.