Red Bull RB20

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
organic

Re: Red Bull RB20

AR3-GP wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 11:18
Holm86 wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 11:04
Sevach wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 11:01
I don't think the vertical inlet is an S-duct, seems like just another cooling inlet, 2 uber small inlets instead of a single bigger one.
Switch to overbite confirmed, interesting when pretty much everyone copied your previous underbite design.

And the strange cockpit inlets matched with their fat tubes/gulley.
Personally i think the vertical slot looks more like a boundary layer scrubber than a cooling inlet, but ofc we can only speculate
No one has been able to identify the exit of this supposed s-duct.
It can be the "louvres" that are far more open than typical louvres. They are also positioned in front of a separate rank of normal louvres.

I believe the loophole that Ferrari used to introduce the s-duct required a dedicated outlet.. and the fact that this area of louvres upstream is separated from the other panels could be a sign.

Curbstone
Curbstone

These louvres could also function as a outlet for the Halo-ducts. There's just so much going on...

lio007

Another angle:

Henk_v
Henk_v

As the air intake feeds a turbo, voiding any necessity of ram pressure, the halo inlets may be engine inlets. That leaves the valuable ram pressure on the roll hoop inlet to feed cooling.

Might it be they seperated the cooling conduits for the separate systems? Maybe the intercooler has a separate in/outlet than the radiators?

Fede90
Fede90

The concepts found by RB’s technicians are amazing. Isn’t even clear if this inlets are involved in cooling system or just an aerodynamic tunnel for the rear. They pushed their project so far this year.

For what I see I think the inlets, near the driver head, are for engine cooling and they merge with the vertical sidepods.

Henk_v
Henk_v

In the MCL thread is a picture comparing areal shots of cars.

Looking at the RB suspension it is clear how much they angled all suspension members compared to others. The front members all form an arrow pointing backwards. As much as I'd like to fantasisize this is clever geometry or aero trickery, might it be so utterly benign as getting the heavy stuff closer to the center of rotation?

Henk_v
Henk_v

Fede90 wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 12:26
The concepts found by RB’s technicians are amazing. Isn’t even clear if this inlets are involved in cooling system or just an aerodynamic tunnel for the rear. They pushed their project so far this year.

For what I see I think the inlets, near the driver head, are for engine cooling and they merge with the vertical sidepods.
Well, there are 3 distinct louvred outlets on each side. Plus a sharkfin outlet plus the cannon exits, plus the vents near the rear wishbones. There are 3 inlets per side.I dont see how flow would merge, they are split!
Last edited by Henk_v on 21 Feb 2024, 12:55, edited 1 time in total.

Logie
Logie

Think i heard or read that Merc and RB are running their hot cooling setups, it could be extra cooling for hot races. Hopefully we can find out for definate cause it is interesting if its not cooling but something

Henk_v
Henk_v

TFSA wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 12:51
Don't have a picture, but F1TV has just talked about something most people missed: Red Bull have two extra cooling inlets above the drivers head, just next to where the top of the halo is attached in either side. They sit just above the shoulders of the driver.
If you want pictures, try scrolling up :wink:

They have been predicted since the launch and were one of the first things spotted this morning...

Holm86

TFSA wrote:
Don't have a picture, but F1TV has just talked about something most people missed: Red Bull have two extra cooling inlets above the drivers head, just next to where the top of the halo is attached in either side. They sit just above the shoulders of the driver.
Nobody in here missed that

TFSA

Henk_v wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 12:54
TFSA wrote:
If you want pictures, try scrolling up :wink:

They have been predicted since the launch and were one of the first things spotted this morning...
I thought i scrolled properly throught the thread, but apparently i missed this. My bad. :(

Luscion
Luscion

Cs98
Cs98

Yup, don't see any zeropod coming with that packaging.

organic

Here's a front angle without sidepod panel on

Last edited by organic on 21 Feb 2024, 13:50, edited 1 time in total.

AbulafiaF1
AbulafiaF1

organic wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 13:18
What a shock zeropod won't come

I would argue the exact opposite. This picture confirms what many people in here are saying. i.e. that the radiators have been mounted vertically and high, and now occupy the two channels running either side of the engine cover, leaving the sidepods with, mainly, empty space. It's not hard to imaging the sidepods shrinking to take advantage this empty space, in cooler races.