2024 Alpine F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Sevach
Sevach

Re: 2024 Alpine F1 Team

Nothing is so bad that it can't get worst...
Unbelievable what's happening with this team.

Renault has been in charge since 2016 if my memory works, it's ridiculous... not only the team hasn't made progress, it was better under Genii.
Honestly, selling to Andretti and GM should be strongly considered.

diffuser

JordanMugen wrote:
01 Mar 2024, 21:25
EJ22B wrote:
01 Mar 2024, 21:21

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/why-a ... /10508075/

The infrastructure updates are currently taking place and some of them like the driver in loop simulator should be online by the start of 2025.
But didn't Renault buy Enstone again in 2016? Why nearly 10 years to upgrade facilities? :?:

Especially when before the budget cap, Renault could have spent an unlimited budget on upgrading facilities.

I thought Renault had targeted their all-new 2022 power unit, budget cap and 2022 regulations as their opportunity to win championships? :?:

Now we hear that 2026 regulations and power unit are the target instead?! :wtf: That's quite some delays for a project started in 2016.
The rule change in 2022, I believe, meant that they didn't know how to use the CFD for the floor. They needed to feed it data and build models. Think this is where they maybe hitting a wall. It isn't that the tools are bad, it's that they're not good enough to make good use of them.

I always thought that De Beers was a weak link.

PapayaFan481
PapayaFan481

The Race have a Short on YouTube with the caption "Key exits already" and it had me wondering if I'd missed James Key joining Alpine!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

EJ22B
EJ22B

Loosing De Beers is a good thing. After the failure of the complex 2018 Williams FW41, he has constantly designed conservative cars. Even the upgrade packages are quite conservative in comparison to other teams.

Matt Harman on the other hand was a good hire. Although I never liked how he always talked about small things in a manner that made them look substantial when other teams are making much bigger changes without making a whole lot of noise about those changes.

Although, Alpine's other recent hires don't exactly instill confidence. Dave Wheather ex-williams isn't exactly a great choice.

Otromundo

diffuser wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 17:03
One of the problems with F1 is we still have a few teams that have no aspirations to win. Teams like Alpine, Visa and Haas say the right things but really don't have goals of winning. Their "reason d'être" is just to be, or to help a mother team be more efficient financially.

It's gotten better, the change in ownerships has pulled Williams and will pull Sauber/Audi off the pervibiale bottom feeder list.
Yes, we agree although it is difficult to understand how Renault understands what it is doing.

Because it seems to disdain any attempt at improvement in any area. And that...being the Régie Renault...why do they have to do everything so badly?

The changes at Williams and the next one at Sauber, magnificent. You are very right about that: at least things seem to be improving.
Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear.

Enstone
Enstone

It's gonna be a difficult path... again for enstone !

At least if they can bring Elliott and give him the necessary tools and required equipements/ressources, there's an hope to see some nice changes...

diffuser

There is a disconnect in that Otmar was let go for saying it was gonna take longer to win than Alpine was willing to wait and Fry saying that they were content with fourth. Doesn't sound like the employees of Alpine care what upper management want. You're gonna need to send one tough manager into each house and change the mindset. Those 2 managers need to answer to a 3ird manager above them that can keep them on the same page. Otmar wasn't the guy for the job anyways. Guess Binotto didn't want the job.

JordanMugen

What did Harman do wrong in design of the A524?

Harman spoke of improving suspension kinematics regardless of adding weight/impacting aero ("rear aero is nearly back to where it was"), and repackaging internals to give potential to develop the floor in future... It all seems like sensible stuff.

Did Harman forget to focus on items that would add performance "here and now" to protect his short-term position? Did Harman get carried away with theoretical items that don't matter?

How could it be that A524 arrived with little improvement in aerodynamic performance compared to the A523? :?:

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

Technical restructuring in Alpine.

Enstone
Enstone

I'm pretty convinced that this kind of change in an organisation, without a good recruitment coming from a top team such as Binotto or Elliott won't be enough...

They need the input of an experienced people to know their weaknesses, and where they can found performances, what they need to improve, the required equipments and people they need etc...

What you think about it guys ?

Xyz22
Xyz22

Enstone wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 16:07
I'm pretty convinced that this kind of change in an organisation, without a good recruitment coming from a top team such as Binotto or Elliott won't be enough...

They need the input of an experienced people to know their weaknesses, and where they can found performances, what they need to improve, the required equipments and people they need etc...

I can tell you that Binotto is not a good leader.

Enstone
Enstone

Xyz22 wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 16:18
Enstone wrote:

They don't need a leader... they need a good technical director :wink:

Binotto is a great engineer such as Elliott, way better than : fry, harman, de beer and so on...

Xyz22
Xyz22

Enstone wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 16:30
Xyz22 wrote:
Enstone wrote:

Binotto is a great engineer such as Elliott, way better than : fry, harman, de beer and so on...
Binotto will never accept a role that is not TP, though.

Enstone
Enstone

Xyz22 wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 17:00
Enstone wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 16:30
Xyz22 wrote:

Binotto will never accept a role that is not TP, though.
That's why we will never see him again in the F1 circus... he's not good for this role but for engineering !

Let's see where these rumors about Elliott will goes... there's still a tiny hope for Enstone if he come in 2025 !

diffuser

Xyz22 wrote:
Enstone wrote:

People don't rise to the top of an organization like Ferrari if they're not good leaders. He past hundreds of leadership tests within Ferrari along the way to get where he got.