McLaren MCL38

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
SilviuAgo

Re: McLaren MCL38

Mansell89 wrote:
06 Mar 2024, 15:14
Was a low downforce wing something we thought was coming this season?

I seem to recall debate last season but correct me if I’m wrong.

Ferrari have a medium one too right? Both teams presumably could change that as the weekend progresses?

organic

continuum16

organic wrote:
06 Mar 2024, 20:20
https://i.imgur.com/zLSpgSL.jpeg
I'm not seeing things, this looks asymmetrical, no? :wtf:
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

That’s not the slot gap. Bit of an illusion.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Vanja #66

Very nice detailing on McLaren, a bit of a dip in the flap to cut some drag and aid with top speed with DRS off (in the race). The strip on the wing is G flap ready to be glued :)
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

vorticism

Yeah, in the RB20 thread it's orange. As for the flap, another interesting part on the McLaren this year along with the steering rack. We have yet to see RW flaps approach the complexity of FW flaps--might consider this an intro.
𓄀

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

organic wrote:
It's been a while since I've seen one of these on a rear wing. That's a very interesting solution. And the most interesting thing is that this cutout and recess is offset relative to the longitudinal axis. The DRS drive mounting point is exactly in the middle, and there is a clear shift to the right side.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

MCL38 In Jeddah:

the EDGE
the EDGE

LionsHeart wrote:
06 Mar 2024, 22:07
organic wrote:
It's been a while since I've seen one of these on a rear wing. That's a very interesting solution. And the most interesting thing is that this cutout and recess is offset relative to the longitudinal axis. The DRS drive mounting point is exactly in the middle, and there is a clear shift to the right side.
I believe that’s just a trick of the camera. Everything is central and symmetrical IMO

The dip at the back looks lower in the right because of the light reflection, the lip at the front looks off-set because of the angle

scuderiabrandon

the EDGE wrote:
06 Mar 2024, 23:50
LionsHeart wrote:
organic wrote:
I believe that’s just a trick of the camera. Everything is central and symmetrical IMO

The dip at the back looks lower in the right because of the light reflection, the lip at the front looks off-set because of the angle
The lower hand is pointed towards a gurney flap tht hasn't been attached yet.
Last edited by scuderiabrandon on 07 Mar 2024, 00:35, edited 1 time in total.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

the EDGE wrote:
LionsHeart wrote:
organic wrote:

You misunderstood me. The depression on the upper flap is symmetrical about the plane. It is located exactly in the centre of the flap. Light reflection has nothing to do with it. I'm talking about the depression on the lower main plane and the notch in the lower part of the upper flap, which is shifted to the right relative to the longitudinal axis. The angle of the camera from which the picture was taken has nothing to do with it. It's not a trick. It really is offset.

organic

LionsHeart wrote:
07 Mar 2024, 00:17
the EDGE wrote:
LionsHeart wrote:

You misunderstood me. The depression on the upper flap is symmetrical about the plane. It is located exactly in the centre of the flap. Light reflection has nothing to do with it. I'm talking about the depression on the lower main plane and the notch in the lower part of the upper flap, which is shifted to the right relative to the longitudinal axis. The angle of the camera from which the picture was taken has nothing to do with it. It's not a trick. It really is offset.
Yeah and the thing you're talking about being asymmetric is just a gurney flap that's rested on the rear wing that is yet to be stuck on

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

organic wrote:
07 Mar 2024, 00:18
LionsHeart wrote:
07 Mar 2024, 00:17
the EDGE wrote:

Yeah and the thing you're talking about being asymmetric is just a gurney flap that's rested on the rear wing that is yet to be stuck on

I have visually highlighted in red to show the area at the reference white dot that is responsible for controlling rear wing deflection.
I don't know which gurney you're talking about. This is the first time I've seen it. There is nothing like that in the first picture. In the second it is present. It's very odd if only because the notch on the lower main plane seems to overlap equidistantly with the upper flap. Isn't the lower plane and the upper flap a one-piece structure? And isn't the Gurney flap only added to the upper area of the upper flap? In general, I would like to get a more detailed answer from you as to what a gurney is. Either my translator cannot translate the word clearly. :D

Edit: Ah, that's it. I got it. I'm sorry. I took a good look and I figured it out for myself.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Same picture, but it shows better the load downforce configuration, as well as the “dent” on the flap:

f1rules
f1rules

looks like they are trying two versions