[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2024 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
CAEdevice

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2024 (Grand Prix Cars)

Ft5fTL wrote:
01 May 2024, 21:32
Quick 5 lap race on Assetto Corsa with the new season stats:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz4aucI ... nel=Ft5fTL
Amazing, great work. interesting how the aerodynamic wake effect and the (relatively) unloaded settings influence the result in a race with overtaking, compared to our race on a single timed lap. Considering that in AC it is possible to manage many other parameters (tyres, behavior of the AI, center of gravity, rake and oscillations of the car) I think it should be our future goal. The graphics, even with standard cars, are very good thanks to the customization of the colors.

Kvothe9
Kvothe9

Hi! I've decided to learn OpenFOAM and MVRC to potentially become a competitor in the next season. I recently installed OpenFOAM on Windows following József Nagy's videos and successfully obtained my first test results in ParaView. This confirms that both OpenFOAM and ParaView seem to be functioning properly.

I've also downloaded Max Taylor's example car models. To run CFD analysis with these models using MFlow, I believe I need to configure MFlow by adjusting the default_settings file with my specific folder locations. However, I'm unsure what UFO CFD Settings are.

I installed OpenFOAM on Windows 10 using the Linux Subsystem. Since I'm using Linux Subsystem, I guess my local folder location refers to the folders from ubuntu file. Following that, I assume I should use the "Open Case Folder" button to create a new case by referencing the MVRC_ExampleCar/input_files directory. However, I'm feeling a bit lost at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

spacehead3

Kvothe9 wrote:
03 May 2024, 21:27
I assume I should use the "Open Case Folder" button to create a new case by referencing the MVRC_ExampleCar/input_files directory
The 2 example car files are complete ready to go input files. Assuming this works the same on Linux as it does on Windows, the procedure should be: select open case folder -> load "MVRC_ExampleCar" folder (the parent folder, not "input files") -> select the dropdown for which template you want to run (probably "MVRC Fast") -> hit build case -> hit run case
Max Taylor

Kvothe9
Kvothe9

When I hit run, something went wrong. I guess it's related to the OpenFOAM folder path. Image

Mod edit: I have edited your post to fix the image link (below). You need to link to something with a .jpeg ending or similar.
Last edited by Kvothe9 on 03 May 2024, 23:54, edited 1 time in total.

yinlad

Kvothe9 wrote:
03 May 2024, 23:51
When I hit run, something went wrong. I guess it's related to the OpenFOAM folder path. https://imgur.com/a/P2o3g8P
I'm not sure how well it's going to play with WSL. I would recommend using https://bluecfd.github.io/Core for windows and mflow, it should pretty much be install and go. Just make sure you are using the correct version for mflow, which should be stated on the website
MVRC - Panthera

Kvothe9
Kvothe9

I got this error when I tried to run a case in blueCFD. I installed it successfully and built the case without any problems.Image

yinlad

Kvothe9 wrote:
05 May 2024, 11:57
I got this error when I tried to run a case in blueCFD. I installed it successfully and built the case without any problems.https://i.imgur.com/3CgR0GA.jpeg
Mod note: please make sure to have a real "image format" in you link if you want it visible to others.See my edit to your previous post for guidance.
Just use the build and run commands in mflow for best results, looks like you're trying to manually run which isn't necessary
MVRC - Panthera

Kvothe9
Kvothe9

I built and ran using MFlow buttons. The build was successful, but clicking the run button didn't do anything. I checked the terminal for errors, which you can see in the photo.

Ft5fTL

CAEdevice wrote:
02 May 2024, 07:11
Ft5fTL wrote:
01 May 2024, 21:32
Quick 5 lap race on Assetto Corsa with the new season stats:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz4aucI ... nel=Ft5fTL
Amazing, great work. interesting how the aerodynamic wake effect and the (relatively) unloaded settings influence the result in a race with overtaking, compared to our race on a single timed lap. Considering that in AC it is possible to manage many other parameters (tyres, behavior of the AI, center of gravity, rake and oscillations of the car) I think it should be our future goal. The graphics, even with standard cars, are very good thanks to the customization of the colors.
Watching G-raph's car coudln't capitilize its huge downforce advantage was very suprising to me. Lower drag level of the Variante's car, drs and draft combined made huge difference.
Kvothe9 wrote:
05 May 2024, 11:57
I got this error when I tried to run a case in blueCFD. I installed it successfully and built the case without any problems.https://i.imgur.com/3CgR0GA.jpeg

The problem here is the wrong version of the blueCFD. You need to use the 2017-2 version of it. 2020 is not compatible with the mflow.
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

Kvothe9
Kvothe9

Thanks to everyone who helped. I performed the first simulation using the example car and mflow. Mflow automatically generated post-processing images. I wanted to analyze the results manually using Paraview, but the generated case.foam file appears as 0kb, and when I open it with Paraview, I only see a rectangle with outer walls. Do I need to open a different file in Paraview? Thanks in advance.

yinlad

Kvothe9 wrote:
08 May 2024, 14:38
Thanks to everyone who helped. I performed the first simulation using the example car and mflow. Mflow automatically generated post-processing images. I wanted to analyze the results manually using Paraview, but the generated case.foam file appears as 0kb, and when I open it with Paraview, I only see a rectangle with outer walls. Do I need to open a different file in Paraview? Thanks in advance.
You have to mark is as a decompiled case in paraview and then you should be able to select the relevant pieces of the case to begin inspecting things. Not at a computer currently so can't tell you exactly where the option is.

Alternatively open the pregen sets directly as I demonstrated on page 1 of this thread
MVRC - Panthera

Kvothe9
Kvothe9

The first time I ran the program, it worked successfully. However, when I tried to run it again without making any changes, I encountered an error. I reinstalled BlueCFD, but the error persists.