2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

An interesting statistic: in Miami, for 3 years, the pole holder has never won a race.

The winners started from 3rd, 5th and 9th positions.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Silent Storm wrote:
06 May 2024, 02:28
Last year mclaren were 17th and 19th in Miami... What an amazing comeback and turnaround.

I'm not sure but wasn't Miami supposed to be Mclaren's weakest track? Is it just because of temperatures or corner speed?
Yup, high temperatures, long slow corners, long straights.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Darth-Piekus wrote:
06 May 2024, 01:19
So regarding Donald Trump I said some hours before that he might bring a little bit of his aura. How right I was.
Just when I thought your takes couldn’t get any worse… You drop this gem… You never break character, that’s for sure

trinidefender
trinidefender

Two thoughts. I wonder how piastri’s race would have been if he had all the upgrades.

Secondly, ironically and unfortunately, piastri took Norris’ fastest lap away from him this race.

This isn’t a slight against piastri but he effectively had a net point tally of negative one for McLaren and Norris.

Very unfortunate for Norris and Piastri’s race.

trinidefender
trinidefender

SmallSoldier wrote:
06 May 2024, 03:08
Darth-Piekus wrote:
06 May 2024, 01:19
So regarding Donald Trump I said some hours before that he might bring a little bit of his aura. How right I was.
Just when I thought your takes couldn’t get any worse… You drop this gem… You never break character, that’s for sure
This gave me quite the chuckle 🤭

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Lando's coup
"Today there were many firsts – commented Stella immediately after the end of the race to the microphones of Sky Sports F1 – but the most important one is that of Lando, because he deserved this success so much. We always said that as soon as we gave him the right material he would win and he did. My thoughts are with the men and women of McLaren, I know what kind of work is behind this and it's a well-deserved success for the whole McLaren team. I hope everyone is enjoying this moment."

A tribute to De Ferran
Finally, Stella wanted to pay a touching tribute – right on American soil – to former driver Gil de Ferran, winner of the title in IndyCar and in the Indianapolis 500 in his career, who worked for McLaren for years and who died on December 29th. "This victory is for Gil de Ferran. Lando faster than Max? We knew the car was fast. This was a bit of a surprise, but we take it positively and welcome it as a good sign for the future," Stella concluded.
https://www.formulapassion.it/f1/f1-new ... o-ha-vinto

BMMR61

I don't think politics should enter these discussions, but, I would just add, if a former US President is invited to the McLaren garages by Zac then that should be respected. (Who knows, maybe he brought some good luck, and has invited them back to Maralago afterwards!) :D

jrdls
jrdls

Congrats to Lando and McLaren. A well deserved win. The sleeping giant has finally woken and, as Fernando Alonso would say:
Now we can fight
Cheers 🍻

BMMR61

To Lando and the team - "we knew you could and would do it in 2024, well done all of you including Oscar!" - from the true papaya fans who never gave up.

My main worry about the win was that if it turned out to be a hollow victory. Nothing of the sort here, when Lando kept banging in fastest laps on the mediums, I wondered if they had a plan for the new softs in a one stop race. we'll never know but I was amazed how much the Lando tyre massaging got him into the position of dominance. It was a top shelf drive and the most popular of wins, with the other drivers, the fans, and even the naysaying media. The media said McLaren were not a force from the start of the year. Slice of humble pie please, or, those of you in USA, a serving of crow!

It's hard to imagine a prouder time for a McLaren fan since Bruce and Denny climbed into their orange M7As at The Race of Champions in 1968 to Miami 2024. I guess Monza 2021 was very special too. For Andrea Stella, the mastermind behind the recovery from the flawed James Key designed MCL60 he has stayed calm and focussed, led the team to believe in an upward trajectory. So good top see the outpouring of emotion today. This looks like a beast we may dare to believe is the beginning of something big.
Last edited by BMMR61 on 06 May 2024, 05:45, edited 1 time in total.

Dunlay
Dunlay

Huge Congratulations to Norris for a well deserved and long awaited win. =D>

BMMR61

mwillems wrote:
06 May 2024, 01:02
Dimond wrote:
06 May 2024, 00:49
Will Joseph: "The package should favor other circuits more than it did here"
Yes. This was a very big step. The team have underplayed this rather well.
My forum friend, you have been a wise scribe through the derision, pessimism and unwarranted hysteria. We drink a toast tonight/today to a most emphatic win which cause us to believe it may be more than a "one hit wonder" to coin a musical phrase. It's the Stella style isn't it? Keep everyone's feet on the ground and back to the factory at 8am on Monday. Work hard, smart, as a team, it will bring it's rewards.

From the astounding SQ1&2 I was astounded at the transformation on this track, a bogey track to be sure. The car looks so much more planted and has enough straight-line speed to not be vulnerable. We don't know what Imola (and other teams' upgrades) will deliver but there is no reason we can't expect more podiums. Vamos!

Oscar did not disappoint me today, in fact I think it was one of his best drives. Very unfortunate. Maybe the reaction to the possible undercut by Sainz was a bit conservative but we don't have all the data. He certainly kept the tyres alive, though dicing with the Ferraris would have taken more out of the Pirellis than Norris did.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

AR3-GP wrote:
06 May 2024, 02:30

Thursday evening I found out how much the Mclaren package was worth. I would have spoken differently live if I had known before 😅
Does anyone know what he was saying? It reads to me like he knows Ferrari update is not as big.

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

Well-deserved and long time coming for both Lando and the team. Congratulations!

Emag
Emag

FittingMechanics wrote:
06 May 2024, 06:29
AR3-GP wrote:
06 May 2024, 02:30

Thursday evening I found out how much the Mclaren package was worth. I would have spoken differently live if I had known before 😅
Does anyone know what he was saying? It reads to me like he knows Ferrari update is not as big.
There is a comment about hoping the Ferrari updates delivering and the reply is "I found out how much McLaren's update was worth thursday evening. I would have spoken differently if I knew"

But there is a lack of context here.

Nevertheless, Fred Vasseur did play down the updates when asked yesterday. He said for sure they will help, but people shouldn't expect too much from the updates. Instead they're focusing on delivering on track.

A 0.25s number was thrown a while back about Ferrari's update improvements. Depending on the track, that can be enough to make them the fastest.

mwillems

Anyone know when the next upgrade arrives?

🤣
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.