2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

LionsHeart wrote:
07 May 2024, 13:34
Tomsky wrote:
07 May 2024, 11:45
LionsHeart wrote:
07 May 2024, 10:41

That's quite likely to be the case as well. I just remember that from the beginning of qualifying the specification cannot be changed until the start of the race. I don’t know how things are going there during the race.
Different wings can be used during the race.
On the same chassis? It's good if so.
Yes, to alter any part of the crash structure then you need a crash test so that is why the unit of the nose starts quite rearward from the wing and nothing would have been changed at that part of the wing assembly. Just the nostrils and the parts hanging from the nose.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

FittingMechanics wrote:
07 May 2024, 12:11
Ferrari is talking about 0.2s update in Imola. Not sure if they brought updates already this season but I would assume so. McLaren was a bit strange in bringing updates this late.
0.25s, but that's an unreliable rumor either way.

And no, not any real updates for Ferrari yet. They had a very slightly tweaked rear suspension arm fairing, and that's basically it. They've been saving up everything for a big upgrade in Imola.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
07 May 2024, 13:48
LionsHeart wrote:
Tomsky wrote:
07 May 2024, 11:45

Different wings can be used during the race.
Yes, to alter any part of the crash structure then you need a crash test so that is why the unit of the nose starts quite rearward from the wing and nothing would have been changed at that part of the wing assembly. Just the nostrils and the parts hanging from the nose.
You misunderstood me again. :D I'm just talking about the specification and how it is allowed by the rules. No more. Oscar started the race with the new spec front wing and finished the race with the old spec. That's the only thing I care about. I just remember that after qualifying, if you change the specification or make adjustments, the driver starts from the pitlane.

But now a second question has arisen. Does the team have enough spare parts? How many spare front wing are available? I hope that the stock will be available in a week and a half in Imola.

CjC
CjC

Seanspeed wrote:
07 May 2024, 13:54
FittingMechanics wrote:
Ferrari is talking about 0.2s update in Imola. Not sure if they brought updates already this season but I would assume so. McLaren was a bit strange in bringing updates this late.

And no, not any real updates for Ferrari yet. They had a very slightly tweaked rear suspension arm fairing, and that's basically it. They've been saving up everything for a big upgrade in Imola.
Last time I heard, Sainz reckons it’s worth a lot of time and is setting his sights on beating Red Bull. I think it’s the team who is downplaying it to 0.25 of a second… which does seems too small of laptime gain for a big upgrade package
Just a fan's point of view

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

CjC wrote:
07 May 2024, 15:51
Seanspeed wrote:
07 May 2024, 13:54
FittingMechanics wrote:

Last time I heard, Sainz reckons it’s worth a lot of time and is setting his sights on beating Red Bull. I think it’s the team who is downplaying it to 0.25 of a second… which does seems too small of laptime gain for a big upgrade package
0.25” over how long of a lap?

At Imola, at Spa? I wish they expressed it as 0.25”/ 1 minute of lap time, but that’s too specific, and none really known what it's going to do until it hits the track.

Mclaren, Ferrari, and RB have shown they have good correlation, but it’s not always the case and past correlation doesn’t guarantee future correlation.

Big Tea

CjC wrote:
07 May 2024, 12:00
FittingMechanics wrote:
07 May 2024, 09:27
Stellar race but I think we need to be ready for Red Bull to bounce back. Their pace was too similar to Ferrari without upgrades to be a realistic representation.
Damn straight.
Ferrari are certainly due some updates, which we think are coming in Imola and surely Red Bull are due something too, probably in Imola as well.

I know I was insufferable over this weekend and had my balls battered at times but I’ve been watching the sport long enough to know that it’s now not a given that McLaren are going to be the fastest package going forward. Knowing how ruthless the sport is and how ruthless they need to be to capitalise on any opportunity for a ‘result’ on the day.
It looked like Lando had a great opportunity for a result on Friday and as it started to go against him as the weekend progressed I got more and more frustrated.
Thank goodness it went his way on Sunday and he managed to capitalise on it and take his overdue win =D>

To be honest, it’s mission complete for this season for me, Lando has that monkey off his back and what ever happens, happens for the rest of the season👍🏻
I think the psychological gain from this win will end up being worth far more than the points.
The drivers and crew now know they can win a race, and this will probably rub off on other things down the line.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
07 May 2024, 15:27
mwillems wrote:
LionsHeart wrote:

You misunderstood me again. :D I'm just talking about the specification and how it is allowed by the rules. No more. Oscar started the race with the new spec front wing and finished the race with the old spec. That's the only thing I care about. I just remember that after qualifying, if you change the specification or make adjustments, the driver starts from the pitlane.

But now a second question has arisen. Does the team have enough spare parts? How many spare front wing are available? I hope that the stock will be available in a week and a half in Imola.
Ahh well you mentioned chassis, so I assumed you were referring to the fittings since a chassis is unlikely to be changed in a race :D

At Miami they had 2 wings, both on the cars, but I would expect more to appear next week since Oscars new parts are likely to be ready. Whether that gives them a further spare Front Wing is a different matter but you would thing there'd have some spares by then.

I'd love to know how long it takes to make parts now, and how much is 3D printed in their new composites factory.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
07 May 2024, 19:01
LionsHeart wrote:
07 May 2024, 15:27
mwillems wrote:

Ahh well you mentioned chassis, so I assumed you were referring to the fittings since a chassis is unlikely to be changed in a race :D

At Miami they had 2 wings, both on the cars, but I would expect more to appear next week since Oscars new parts are likely to be ready. Whether that gives them a further spare Front Wing is a different matter but you would thing there'd have some spares by then.

I'd love to know how long it takes to make parts now, and how much is 3D printed in their new composites factory.
Now I understand you, okay. :) Apparently the updated front wing works very well, so I really hope that the team will now have enough of this updated element. Because we can no longer expect the front wing to be updated again before the end of the year. :D

I haven’t started watching the onboard race yet, but based on Oscar’s words, the car has become faster, but the balance characteristics haven’t changed much. I wonder if they changed on Lando's car? I also watched the race again today, for the fourth time (yes, I can’t get enough), and again noticed that Lando’s car was equipped with a beam wing of the previous specification. But I hope already in Imola we will again see the updated beam wing on both cars, since they are useful.

At Imola, between the last and first corners, the throttle is to the floor and this distance is very long, and therefore it would be nice to have a high maximum speed for both attack and defense.

Tomsky
Tomsky

As Stella explained: “We consciously decided to set up the car to maximise low-speed performance.

“The decent performance we had in low-speed is not necessarily because of the characteristic of the package, it's also because of some conscious decisions as to how we set up the cars to make sure that we were as strong as possible in low-speed.

“If you look at qualifying, we lost quite a lot of time in the high-speed section, but this was kind of a deliberate set-up choice.”
Miami was just the start, and there is more to come too. Stella suggests that upgrades in the pipeline will help further address the problems it has faced in low-speed.
Details
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/the- ... /10608133/

mwillems

Very specifically that time was lost at turn 6 in the high speed section.

Wouter

Great to hear something from Lando after this incredible weekend!! =D>

The Power of Dreams!

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

lap 33? MV33? it was destiny then...

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

AR3-GP wrote:
08 May 2024, 16:23
lap 33? MV33? it was destiny then...
It’s just that at the end of the 32nd lap the gap to Max was more than a second, and then it only continued to grow, which means we could concentrate on driving.

Emag
Emag

Emag wrote:
06 May 2024, 13:05
I am waiting for Formula 1 to release some "Road to first victory" video for Lando. Almost 90% sure it's coming. Would be nice to playback some of the good (and bad) memories of Lando's journey so far.
Hahaha, called it :

Edit : Video could have been better tho, doesnt cover much.

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!