Lotus T127 Cosworth

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
xpensive
xpensive

Re: Lotus 2010 Car

Wonder why nobody thought of using "Surtees", perhaps too xpensive that?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Spencifer_Murphy

I really don't see the problem with using the Lotus name. I for one think it's fantastic to see the Lotus name back in F1. No its not the same Lotus we know and love, but neither was the Lotus of 1994, Colin Chapman had long since passed and F1 itself had changed too.

Proton own the Lotus name yes, but Tony Fernandez does not own Proton, hence the name must be given with consent of the Proton company. Frankly that's all that matters and if certain Lotus employees don't like it tough, sure they can have an opinion but I think its unfair to say it is "against Lotus' will", what will exactly ae we talking about, do we mean the one they sold allong with the company to Proton? because I'm afraid it's not their choice, they lost those rights when they sold the company. We never heard any of thos tosh when Aston Martin returned to Le Mans with cars run by Prodrive. (Who owns Aston now? is it Ford?) whoever does, we never heard of the founder's turning in their graves then, we never heard similar stories when Cosworth retuned for this year (after the company went bakrupt/into administration etc). It all smacks to me as a bit of romour mongering by those looking back thru rose tinted specs at the glory days of Lotus in the 60's & 70's.

I also believe, personally that Colin Chapman would be delighted to see his marque's name back in F1...WHERE IT BELONGS. Lotus Cars was setup as a race team first, car manufacturer second - like Ferrari - and for the first time since 1994 its back in F1. This is a great thing. Colin, I believe, would be happy that somebody chose his team's brand, instead of calling their team "Force Maylasia" for example, which Tony Fernandez could easily have done.

Claim that he's only using the Lotus name for marketing if you want, but TATA owns Jaguar...Mallya could have called his team Jaguar couldn't he? He has the sway to do it. And he's a savvy enough business man to do it.

Sometime we can all be a bit to cynical when it suits us. Sure this isn't the Lotus we all came to know and love, but if in say 5 years the team is running respectfully (i.e better than the early 90's!) how many of us will still be complaining? It's already been confirmed that when the team wins it's first race under it's new guise it will be Lotus's 70th win, (i think thts correct) not this ones 1st. That if anything to me shows at least some understanding for Lotus, its empolyees and its followers from Mr. Fernandes and those involved in the project.

I for one wish them all the luck in the world and am very VERY greatful this one GREAT British marque is back where it belongs in the pinnacle of motorsport.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

PlatinumZealot

To me, it sounds like this team is genuine Lotus.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/81458

Fernandes:
"I was thrilled when Clive [Chapman] said that this was just like te beginning of Lotus back in the early days."

He added: "We know we have a huge burden on our shoulders, standing on the shoulders of giants - Clark, Moss, Hill, and Mansell. We know we have a tremendous journey in front of us, we are honoured and cherished to be a part of history - we will leave no stone unturned in our efforts and we will do our best to return Lotus to its glory days."
I don't see why some Lotus fans are getting their panties in a bunch.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

Mr Alcatraz

Spencifer_Murphy wrote:I really don't see the problem with using the Lotus name. I for one think it's fantastic to see the Lotus name back in F1. No its not the same Lotus we know and love, but neither was the Lotus of 1994, Colin Chapman had long since passed and F1 itself had changed too.

Proton own the Lotus name yes, but Tony Fernandez does not own Proton, hence the name must be given with consent of the Proton company. Frankly that's all that matters and if certain Lotus employees don't like it tough, sure they can have an opinion but I think its unfair to say it is "against Lotus' will", what will exactly ae we talking about, do we mean the one they sold allong with the company to Proton? because I'm afraid it's not their choice, they lost those rights when they sold the company. We never heard any of thos tosh when Aston Martin returned to Le Mans with cars run by Prodrive. (Who owns Aston now? is it Ford?) whoever does, we never heard of the founder's turning in their graves then, we never heard similar stories when Cosworth retuned for this year (after the company went bakrupt/into administration etc). It all smacks to me as a bit of romour mongering by those looking back thru rose tinted specs at the glory days of Lotus in the 60's & 70's.

I also believe, personally that Colin Chapman would be delighted to see his marque's name back in F1...WHERE IT BELONGS. Lotus Cars was setup as a race team first, car manufacturer second - like Ferrari - and for the first time since 1994 its back in F1. This is a great thing. Colin, I believe, would be happy that somebody chose his team's brand, instead of calling their team "Force Maylasia" for example, which Tony Fernandez could easily have done.

Claim that he's only using the Lotus name for marketing if you want, but TATA owns Jaguar...Mallya could have called his team Jaguar couldn't he? He has the sway to do it. And he's a savvy enough business man to do it.

Sometime we can all be a bit to cynical when it suits us. Sure this isn't the Lotus we all came to know and love, but if in say 5 years the team is running respectfully (i.e better than the early 90's!) how many of us will still be complaining? It's already been confirmed that when the team wins it's first race under it's new guise it will be Lotus's 70th win, (i think thts correct) not this ones 1st. That if anything to me shows at least some understanding for Lotus, its empolyees and its followers from Mr. Fernandes and those involved in the project.

I for one wish them all the luck in the world and am very VERY greatful this one GREAT British marque is back where it belongs in the pinnacle of motorsport.
+1
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

Mr Alcatraz

n smikle wrote:To me, it sounds like this team is genuine Lotus.

Fernandes:
"I was thrilled when Clive [Chapman] said that this was just like te beginning of Lotus back in the early days."

He added: "We know we have a huge burden on our shoulders, standing on the shoulders of giants - Clark, Moss, Hill, and Mansell. We know we have a tremendous journey in front of us, we are honoured and cherished to be a part of history - we will leave no stone unturned in our efforts and we will do our best to return Lotus to its glory days."
+1

ISLAMATRON

Fernandes:

The problem is that a non-white, "rice bag" making, Malaysian company now owns both the Lotus car company and the Lotus F1 team. If it was bought by a "proper" englishman like Ron Dennis did McLaren, or Dave Richards has been trying to do, or even Richard Branson everything would be lovely.

Damn those MAlaysians creating all those jobs in England... who do they think they are?

Richard
Richard

ISLAMATRON wrote:The problem is that a non-white, "rice bag" making, Malaysian company now owns both the Lotus car company and the Lotus F1 team. If it was bought by a "proper" englishman like Ron Dennis did McLaren, or Dave Richards has been trying to do, or even Richard Branson everything would be lovely.

Damn those MAlaysians creating all those jobs in England... who do they think they are?
LOL - everything comes down to race/nationality in your world.

You keep stirring on and on and on - is there a Duracell battery up your rear?

ringo

:lol: :lol:

The rice bag thing seemed condescending still.

I think tony is doing Lotus a big favour. Any name that can return to F1 after so many years is an accomplishment in itself and for it to come back in similar guise is nostalgic.

I see a Lotus here, i don't see a proton. The same way i see Lamborghini and not an Audi. I am fine with the tiny little proton sticker.
For Sure!!

Mr Alcatraz

ISLAMATRON wrote:

Fernandes:

:shock:
The problem is that a non-white, "rice bag" making, Malaysian company now owns both the Lotus car company and the Lotus F1 team. If it was bought by a "proper" englishman like Ron Dennis did McLaren, or Dave Richards has been trying to do, or even Richard Branson everything would be lovely.

Well stated.
Never underestimate the influence of the Anglo-Mob.
I understand there is a movement afoot where M16 is working directly with Sicilian deprogrammers! :shock: :lol:

ISLAMATRON

richard_leeds wrote:
ISLAMATRON wrote:The problem is that a non-white, "rice bag" making, Malaysian company now owns both the Lotus car company and the Lotus F1 team. If it was bought by a "proper" englishman like Ron Dennis did McLaren, or Dave Richards has been trying to do, or even Richard Branson everything would be lovely.

LOL - everything comes down to race/nationality in your world.

You keep stirring on and on and on - is there a Duracell battery up your rear?
go stuff it in a rice bag

mrmr
mrmr

Hey does anyone want to talk about the car? How about I repost my question:

What is the third exhaust coming out of the backside of the airbox? And does it work with the yellow lump hanging under the rear wing? Something new to me.

The front wing is interesting or at least complicated. I don't see a moving element on it.

And add something about the tail of the X-15 (just for interest):

manchild
manchild

ISLAMATROLL, I had no idea that religion has something to do with color of the skin. Live and learn...

Anyway, I was only mentioning technological backwardness of Malaysia, and nothing else. Same thing of heritage-rape was done by my opinion with Ferrari. Since Luca is as white as Pope, just the way Enco was, your calling up on racial/religion background doesn't work. Check for my Ferrari management criticism posts from 2, 3 or 4 years ago.

Belatti
Belatti

Hey people, stop bringing segregationist comments. WTF has Malaysia got to do with all this and my comment about Colin revolving/spinning/turning/rotating ???

What I dont like about this Lotus thing is that Colin´s philosophy is not exactly Gascoygne´s one. I really dont like Mike and his style and watching him designing a shoe box with the colors and a name I like a lot it doesnt feel right... to me.
thestig84 wrote: Im very surprised at the negativity towards their effort. They have built a team for scratch in 5 months! (a lot less then USF1 have had!) I say very well done and good luck. Good to see another team on the grid.
Thats because, even if I dont like Mike, he has actually designed and built an F1 car in the past.
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

Mr Alcatraz

mrmr wrote:Hey does anyone want to talk about the car? How about I repost my question:

What is the third exhaust coming out of the backside of the airbox? And does it work with the yellow lump hanging under the rear wing? Something new to me.

The front wing is interesting or at least complicated. I don't see a moving element on it.

And add something about the tail of the X-15 (just for interest):

I can say off the top of my head that I have recollections of the X15 as the coolest thing that flew!! Just winging it here! I grew up about 2 miles from the Astronautics Division of General Dynamics in San Diego. I believe it was at a time in our history when we weren’t at war with anyone (except Cuba) The father of a friend worked there with Werner Von Braun. They used a lot of the data from the X15 in the main project ,The Atlas Booster. The place is a ghost town now; it has been for 25 years. The last time I checked they still had the park that they built for the employee's, with a full size Atlas at the entrance!
I still like the Lotus. Have no Idea about the extra port!

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Pandamasque wrote:@ mx_tifosi ew! You could at least post this: Image
I know. :lol: But the first thing I thought of was the mole rat, since I just saw it on an animal show a few days ago.

Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.