Mercedes GP MGP W01

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
manchild
manchild

Re: Mercedes GP MGP W01

ElRebelde wrote:The only reason your green line doesn't start further to the left is that the picture doesn't extend that far!
No, I've cut the pic since protective roll structure's height is not defined simply by height.

There must be spacing of certain amount between helmet and imaginary line reaching from roll structure to part of the chassis just in front of driver. Once it was 50mm, I'm not sure if they've extended it in previous years.

I've drawn the line to hint where the surface of the gravel would be if the car would get upside town, since vertical structure would sink into gravel.

Check FIA regs. before loling.

EDIT:
FIA wrote:15.2 Roll structures :

The two roll structures must be of sufficient height to ensure the driver's helmet and his steering wheel are at least 70mm and 50mm respectively below a line drawn between their highest points at all times.
Last edited by manchild on 07 May 2010, 23:04, edited 3 times in total.

Ganxxta
Ganxxta

I'm sure MGP passed any FIA test with this solution otherwise they wouldn't run it, and if they were any safety concerns FIA wouldn't allow it.
Simple as that :roll:

Seriously, that is the F1 and no underground races and I'm sure people like Brawn tought about safety issues also...

manchild
manchild

There are no FIA tests for this. There are just regulations about dimensions. Depending on depth of gravel or other soil around the track than tarmac or concrete (earth , sand) and it's moisture, speed of the car etc. any roll structure can prove itself as not good enough, but such sharp one certainly represents almost none protection non-solid surfaces.

manchild
manchild

How about not being personal. I can be mean bustard, but that would kill the thread and make job for mods.

You've based your sarcasm and laughed thanks to your ignorance about FIA regs. which I had in mind when I made the sketch.

So you "knew" I didn't have bigger picture, that was your explanation.

I cut the picture myself to zoom necessary area since front of the chassis is irrelevant to this matter.

There is a front roll structure mentioned in FIA regs just about where green line starts elevating.

Green on line shows approximate depth of how much the car would sink if vertical roll structure above driver's helmet sinks.

Than you've suggested me about opening my mouth, and finally suggested that I've guessed rather than remembered regulations that concern this.

If you don't like me that's your problem, but don't get bitchy with me simply because you have no clue about regulations.
Last edited by manchild on 07 May 2010, 23:29, edited 1 time in total.

WhiteBlue

The green line is deceptive because the total silver grey structure is the anti roll structure. The argument about sinking in isn't relevant as fewer circuits have gravel traps nowadays. If the surface is soft that the roll pillar can penetrate and displace gravel or mud the drivers helmet can do the same. The Mercedes primary roll over structure is legal and I'm convinced it is as protective as the old style roll hoop.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

ggajic
ggajic

marcush. wrote:

can we conclude Michael had a bad weekend in china, or is he still useless and should sttay at home instead of embarassing himself or what? :? :?
He had chassis that didn't suit his driving style at all. It is much like if you try to run in running shoes that doesn't suit your feats, or if you try to play tennis with racket that is causing your hand to sore. In other words F1 car is part of sporting equipment and just like in any other sport - if equipment doesn't work well with sportsman - he will eventually fail to deliver good result. No one should ever question Schumacher's abilities, after all he is currently the only one who has 7 championships and no one will repeat that success in near or distant future..

Pandamasque

WhiteBlue wrote:The green line is deceptive because the total silver grey structure is the anti roll structure. The argument about sinking in isn't relevant as fewer circuits have gravel traps nowadays. If the surface is soft that the roll pillar can penetrate and displace gravel or mud the drivers helmet can do the same. The Mercedes primary roll over structure is legal and I'm convinced it is as protective as the old style roll hoop.
Although the design seems to be legal, I'm with manchild, that it's not as safe. Personally I wouldn't want to displace gravel or grass/soil with my head and neck!

On the other hand in terms of crash protection their new design is not that much different since the older airbox was wrapped around the safety 'blade', exactly like this one, only a bit higher.
Last edited by Pandamasque on 08 May 2010, 00:47, edited 1 time in total.

wesley123
wesley123

if the FIA thought the same as you guys it would have been clarified illegal, but guess what it is not. As long as it did pass the tests it is legal.
And btw, if the roll bar does that it will roll over, that is pure logic, the hoop will come stuck and the car will roll over, or do you expect it falling out of the sky with the roll bar facing the ground?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

F1_eng
F1_eng

manchild, what a horrific misjudgement.

THe homologated cameras have no part to play in the structure, the same is the story with the air intake. You could simply removed the intake and the roll structure wouldn't be compromised in any way.

You can't win arguments by forcing your view on others unless you know what you are talking about.
As I have said before, people get angry with things they don't understand, and when shown to be wrong, as displayed here.

I am off now to test the moisture content of the soil in Barca, incase the car rolls and this hasn't been accounted for in the design.

Also, the front roll structure on the car can easily be identified. Look at the chassis and what has been done to the front roll structure to raise the forward part of the line bwteeen the two structures.

manchild
manchild

I wasn't enforcing my view. Just pointing out that I find it dangerous.

The duel I had with ElRebelde was personal.

And let me repeat - there is no test of how much will the car sink into gravel, just the regulations about dimensions and impact tests.

It can happen even with normal airboxes that helmet reaches gravel, but with this one it is much more to be expected. I find it really dangerous. That's all.

The car would also penetrate much further into rubber barrier. Remember Kovalainen's crash?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alfcPaQmH10[/youtube]

As you can see, T camera housing is not the part of the roll structure.

Even the flying objects like wheels, wings, suspension, now have much easier access to helmet from various angles.

WhiteBlue

The new front suspension from upside.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

timbo
timbo

Interesting, it seems like upper A-arm is connected to the upright a bit behind of the center of the wheel.
Wonder how that affects steering.

zgred

nacho
nacho

Can't remember seeing that kind of a suspension in F1 lately, did they even change the position of the suspension itself or change the suspension geometry?

mach11
mach11

zgred wrote:Image

Looks kinda similar to the way the redbull's suspension geometry last year... the detail in this pic is freakin amazing....

good job zgred =D>
"Be the change that you wish to see most in your world" -- Mahatma Gandhi