Ferrari F10

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Afterburner

Re: Ferrari F10

Did sauber receveid this engine update?

PlatinumZealot

Yes, I don't remember where I saw it though.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

β˜„οΈ Myth of the five suns. β˜„οΈ

β˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈ
LxVxFxHxN

hollus

timbo wrote:
autogyro wrote:Are you sure the increase in speed is not more to do with the engine changes made?
Well, Ferrari set fastest speed today, just a little shy of 312.
In Shanghai, it was in the pack, with speeds equal to Mercedes and RedBull. Both were around 303-304 today.
So, if we consider that Power ratio = (speed ratio)^2 (since drag is squared with speed), and we assume they had 750 Hp before the upgrade, the figure we achieve (well, if I've done my math right, of course) is ~785-790 Hp. Quite a big upgrade :roll: .
Don't forget the F-duct. 6-10Km/h extra top speed is what was often mentioned for Mclaren.
Rivals, not enemies.

donskar
donskar

timbo wrote:
autogyro wrote:Are you sure the increase in speed is not more to do with the engine changes made?
In Shanghai, it was in the pack, with speeds equal to Mercedes and RedBull. Both were around 303-304 today.
So, if we consider that Power ratio = (speed ratio)^2 (since drag is squared with speed), and we assume they had 750 Hp before the upgrade, the figure we achieve (well, if I've done my math right, of course) is ~785-790 Hp. Quite a big upgrade :roll: .
Math is one of my many weak points, but I think most of us would agree that a 35-40 hp jump is quite unlikely, especially with the rev limit in place. (Now, there was talk that Ferrari previously was unable to use the full 18K rpm. IF the changes have allowed them to increase revs substantially, then the figures make a little more sense. But if they have found 35-40 hp, then Marmorini deserves a big raise.) I think it's a case of a bit more power + the effect of the F duct.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

timbo
timbo

hollus wrote:
timbo wrote:
Don't forget the F-duct. 6-10Km/h extra top speed is what was often mentioned for Mclaren.
That's what I meant. The gain is too much to come from engine under current regs.
I think F-duct is pretty efficient, but they should've chosen a much higher downforce setup.

Miguel
Miguel

timbo wrote: That's what I meant. The gain is too much to come from engine under current regs.
I think F-duct is pretty efficient, but they should've chosen a much higher downforce setup.
I fully support Timbo here. I think Ferrari made the same mistake that McLaren did in Bahrain and Australia, not giving the car more downforce.
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

PlatinumZealot

We have to remember that the gear ratios can be changed too.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

β˜„οΈ Myth of the five suns. β˜„οΈ

β˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈ
LxVxFxHxN

segedunum
segedunum

timbo wrote:I think they are struggling with finding correct aero setting with F-duct, just like McLaren @ Bahrain. They probably could be more aggressive with downforce and let F-duct recover the speed lost on the straight.
That was the general view, certainly in the first race at Bahrain, but I don't buy it. I don't think it is possible to simply be more aggressive with downforce with this system because the rear wing functions in a completely different way than with other cars.

As we've seen on the McLaren thread with their tinkering of their rear wing at Barcelona in order to try and minimise unintentional stalling and to increase downforce, it's only now that they're managing to trade off some straight line speed for downforce. However, they now seem to have lost any straight line speed advantage they had from the speed traps we've seen.

Personally, I think Ferrari have gone down an 'emperor's new clothes' route by copying this system. Whereas it might well have helped them at Bahrain, Malaysia and China where there are the straights to justify it and in Australia where the effect of downforce is minimised, now that we're in Europe we're heading to circuits where downforce, cornering speed, mechanical grip and traction are the areas ripe for improvements. Given that Ferrari now seem to be much further behind Red Bull than they were in winter testing and early on in the season then they've clearly lost out somewhere.

sheikomatic
sheikomatic

The F-Duct switch!!!

Italiano
Italiano

Better view :wink:
#Forza Michael #Forza Jules

Morteza

SchumacherM wrote:Image

Guys, I've got a question: The driver must cover the hole with the back of his left hand to activate the system, right? Does it not affect his driving?
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

allstaruk08
allstaruk08

Morteza AMG wrote:
SchumacherM wrote:Image

Guys, I've got a question: The driver must cover the hole with the back of his left hand to activate the system, right? Does it not affect his driving?

i would have thought so at some points hes activating the f-duct and hes reaching over to the left with his right hand to change the brake balence so he has no hands on the wheel. i would not like to be driving near someone at daft speeds when they dont even have their hands of the wheel lol

autogyro
autogyro

It does rather show up Ferrari and its lack of common sense in design.

Italiano
Italiano

Sauber has the same system of activating. Shall we bash them too?
#Forza Michael #Forza Jules

Poleman

SchumacherM wrote:Sauber has the same system of activating. Shall we bash them too?
Yep we should...Thats the F10 thread though.