Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Pierce89

Re: Ferrari F2012

If you ignore the "Acer ducts" or exhaust holes or whatever the hell they are, then this car has on tight rear end
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Mazdaboy

Another pic:

Every race ends when the chequered flag is out!

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

I'm a little bit worried that Renault and Red-Bull seem to be strong and now Ferrari have seemingly found a lot of performance in the same exhaust placement that they used.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Pup
Pup

Snipped from Atlas, from the notorious Jose Louis (not my translation)...
* Today, updates in the cooling intended to be used in specific circuits and / or new parts that evacuate more heat were tested in the F2012

* Then, a new floor and diffuser were installed. The results were contradictory/inconclusive. Therefore, they proceeded to use aerodynamic markers

* After the analysis of the markers and telemetry, a profound change in the setup was carried out. The results are to be analyzed yet.

* The start system was tested using a new clutch & software. Results were, in principle, excellent, according to the driver and the team

* Then, some long stints were carried out in order to check the consistency and overall reliability as well as the tyre management.

* Let's see if tomorrow, tuning the setup and with some more parts, they achieve some of the expected downforce and the improvement of the damn traction
Still the uncertainty...

NoDivergence
NoDivergence

Pierce89 wrote:If you ignore the "Acer ducts" or exhaust holes or whatever the hell they are, then this car has on tight rear end
Can't ignore the Acer ducts. Air doesn't, anyways.
Ferrari is in a bit of a spot if their upgrades are inconclusive. Not looking good

amouzouris

i think that by inconclusive they mean..neither the driver felt the difference nor the lap times showed any difference so they proceeded with downforce markers to evaluate if there is really any difference...the fact though that the driver or the lap times didn't show a difference could mean a lot of things...very small gain....they work better with different setup....track conditions...etc etc..

amouzouris

apart from the slightly modifies diffuser and the wing like gurney...what other differences were made to the floor for the upgrade??

bhall
bhall

amouzouris wrote:...what other differences were made to the floor for the upgrade??

It's the KERS battery! (Sorry.)

I'm now officially concerned.

Pierce89

NoDivergence wrote:
Pierce89 wrote:If you ignore the "Acer ducts" or exhaust holes or whatever the hell they are, then this car has on tight rear end
Can't ignore the Acer ducts. Air doesn't, anyways.
Ferrari is in a bit of a spot if their upgrades are inconclusive. Not looking good
actually with their placement, they'll not impede the flow into the coke bottle badly at all. But, anyways the Ferrari rearend IS quite small and tight
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Still trying to figure out what the metal thing Bhall has been talking about is. Here's a shot of the rear floor from a different angle. The metal piece is clear, I just can't tell what it is.

right click>view image

bhall
bhall

You may have missed it yesterday. On a lark, I threw out the idea that the floor is the KERS battery. I discovered that possibility when I was looking for ways the floor could be used as a heatsink. As preposterous as it sounds - and likely really is - a battery-floor is surprisingly plausible on the surface of the matter.

But, really, looking at this car, there's no way. I've held my tongue for as long as I can. This car looks DOA.

aleks_ader

bhallg2k wrote:This car looks DOA.
What is that DOA??
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Still trying to figure out what the metal thing Bhall has been talking about is. Here's a shot of the rear floor from a different angle. The metal piece is clear, I just can't tell what it is.

right click>view image
[img]http://www.formula1.com/wi/sutton/2011/ ... 34.jpg[img]
Looks like a support for the floor attached to the gearbox.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

aleks_ader

Owen.C93 wrote:
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Still trying to figure out what the metal thing Bhall has been talking about is. Here's a shot of the rear floor from a different angle. The metal piece is clear, I just can't tell what it is.

right click>view image
[img]http://www.formula1.com/wi/sutton/2011/ ... 34.jpg[img]
Looks like a support for the floor attached to the gearbox.
And maybe they want cleaner flow under rear crash structure?
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

bhallg2k wrote:You may have missed it yesterday. On a lark, I threw out the idea that the floor is the KERS battery. I discovered that possibility when I was looking for ways the floor could be used as a heatsink. As preposterous as it sounds - and likely really is - a battery-floor is surprisingly plausible on the surface of the matter.

But, really, looking at this car, there's no way. I've held my tongue for as long as I can. This car looks DOA.
Yeah I saw it, but was trying to avoid the drama. This car is not DOA. Alexander that means "Dead On Arrival". The car is competitive. We'll be 3rd in melbourne. Question is can we extract the most performance from it & move higher in the order.

Edit: thats kind of what I was thinking Owen but wanted someone esle to say it first. :))

Last edited by Crucial_Xtreme on 01 Mar 2012, 23:27, edited 1 time in total.