Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Gaara
Gaara

Re: Ferrari F2012

So what are the main weakest point of this car?

The chassis?

beelsebob
beelsebob

Gaara wrote:So what are the main weakest point of this car?

The chassis?
The coke bottle was my impression.

raymondu999

I'd give the undercut some go too - the sidepods seem to be the fattest of the top running teams - possibly further hurting the coke bottle.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Bomber_Pilot

I too think the sidepod frontal area was huge and also not "sculpted" enough underneath the sidepod intakes. The rear of the F2012 was one of the tightest, but they just couldn't get enough air to it.

TheGkbrk
TheGkbrk

I think the sidepods and therefore the coke bottle area. But mainly sidepods, they were just too sharp I think and they were looking kind of ancient really. Most of other top teams had much neater sidepods.

stefan_
stefan_

raymondu999 wrote:I'd give the undercut some go too - the sidepods seem to be the fattest of the top running teams - possibly further hurting the coke bottle.
That's my thought too, but I think that they designed the front side of the sidepod taking in consideration the Acer ducts, and I guess that they thought it is worth sacrificing that area. Unfortunately, the ducts were a total disaster and they had to work with what they had after they realised it.
Last edited by stefan_ on 27 Nov 2012, 20:37, edited 1 time in total.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Gerhard Berger
Gerhard Berger

Well the larger sidepods were the results of their unorthodox cooling system with the vertical radiators and hot air exiting at the end of the sidepods, near the exhausts.

They will have to go back to a more orthodox cooling system and change alot of the internals in order to reduce the sidepod size. I think there is alot of potentional performance in it though. We saw the gains Mclaren made when they pinched the sidepods in their Hockenheim update.

Neno
Neno

Gaara wrote:So what are the main weakest point of this car?

The chassis?
sidepods shape for sealing air to the diffuser. lotus solved that problem with internal aerodynamic, even they didnt have
tight package. other car problem was traction, and it's still is. but this i area where they made good progress in season, but that car lacked a great deal of traction that even with updates they still lacking.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

raymondu999 wrote:I'd give the undercut some go too - the sidepods seem to be the fattest of the top running teams - possibly further hurting the coke bottle.
Yeah I think so too. Obviously the vertical rads didn't help any after they abandoned the Acer Ducts. In the picture below you can see how much taller they are versus the RB8 and less sculpted as well. There was much of the initial undercut below air intakes and didn't have a very good transition around the leading edge towards the side/rear

Via F1.com

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Here's the latest from Piola on the last F2012 Updates

All images via Amus

A video of the updates can be found here--> http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 80979.html

Nando
Nando

I N S A N E.

the time needed to create that 3d/CAD model is immense.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

vall
vall

I don't know, but looking at the on-board shots, Ferrari drivers had no make steering corrections all the time, while the Bull would go wherever Seb and Webber want and stay there. So, I think overall RB was much more balanced and drivable car. Fred and Massa had to fight the car all the time....

bhall
bhall

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Here's the latest from Piola on the last F2012 Updates
The sad part is that updates did nothing for the car after Silverstone.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

bhallg2k wrote:
The sad part is that updates did nothing for the car after Silverstone.
Agreed. The poorly designed F2012 hit its development ceiling far earlier than its rivals. The small refinements only helped to maintain the gap, not close it. Which actually gives me hope for 2013. The team obviously knew they had basically reached the end of development without a redesign(too late in season) so the fact the small refinements helped to maintain the gap tells me they at least have a good understanding of the car. Which will help since the Regs don't change much for 2013.

Cam

Apologies if this was discussed, I have flicked back and cannot see anything on it. What is that bar for (round tube coming out the back of the rear of the body work to the beam wing? Could it be carrying air for blowing or just structural?
Edit: typo
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.