Ferrari F138

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Vanja #66

Re: Ferrari F138

Goran2812 wrote:the actuator they brought to this GP was new, right? looking at pics, it's slimmer and more compact... they need to test it more... so many points lost today... :(
As far as I see, it's the same from the start of the year... Maybe hotter temperatures loosened it somewhat and aero forces just managed to twist it...
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Redragon

Maybe the breeze or wind today has done the damage, could it be?

sucof

Last time they simply did not change the broken front wing, though it was pretty obvious they should.
This time they did not design a simple lever what could stop the wing at its maximum degree (it might be that with this lever the wing would be able to flip back).
Also they failed to recognize immediately that after closing the broken flap in the pit, Alonso should not try to use it any more.

I think these are a series of really silly errors which can easily cost them the world title and which is not up to the level of a world champion squad. What a shame.

Pilatus

Mounting point for DRS actuator just broke off?

Obviously ( :lol: ), slimmest DRS actuator comes with a price.

kosioBG

yes really stupid tiny errors, especially that Alonso used DRS after the problem with it had already occured. :(

timbo
timbo

Amazing that Alonso managed to hold car on track with DRS open. A testimony to his skills!

infy
infy

Do we have any pictures of the DRS open, when not broken?

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Here's the working DRS of Massa, and the broken DRS of Fernando. You can see Alonso's is broken.

via Sutton Images

Alonso Fan

sucof wrote:Last time they simply did not change the broken front wing, though it was pretty obvious they should.
This time they did not design a simple lever what could stop the wing at its maximum degree (it might be that with this lever the wing would be able to flip back).
Also they failed to recognize immediately that after closing the broken flap in the pit, Alonso should not try to use it any more.

I think these are a series of really silly errors which can easily cost them the world title and which is not up to the level of a world champion squad. What a shame.
you can easily say that now, but at the time it was an informed decision. What did they know it was going to jam again? the flap was actually open past its designated limit, according to martin brundle, and they thought that if they pushed it back into place it would work within the limit. its easy to criticise them now, but you have to look at the decision at the time it was made.

and Alonso's driving with the DRS open made it look like there was no loss of downforce. he was simply flawless in the race, and that shows his superior skill
Last edited by Alonso Fan on 21 Apr 2013, 22:14, edited 1 time in total.
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Redragon

Alonso Fan wrote:
sucof wrote:Last time they simply did not change the broken front wing, though it was pretty obvious they should.

you can easily say that now, but at the time it was an informed decision. What did they know it was going to jam again? the flap was actually open past its designated limit, according to martin brundle, and they thought that if they pushed it back into place it would work within the limit. its easy to criticise them now, but you have to look at the decision at the time it was made.
I agree, they have to try it otherwise we will be saying now why they didn't try it.

Alonso Fan

Redragon wrote:
Alonso Fan wrote:

I agree, they have to try it otherwise we will be saying now why they didn't try it.
yeah people have always been complaining that Ferrari don't try things, and they are too simple, and when Ferrari try something and it goes wrong, they still complain that it wasn't the right decision. Any team can make that mistake.
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

infy
infy

Mechanical failures happen in F1. No point pinning blame.

I rate next time if something like this happens they will tell him not to use it again until his next scheduled in-lap, so they can test without losing much time.

Alonso Fan

infy wrote:Mechanical failures happen in F1. No point pinning blame.

I rate next time if something like this happens they will tell him not to use it again until his next scheduled in-lap, so they can test without losing much time.
yep, i was thinking exactly the same thing. :)

massa was really unfortunate with 2 delaminations during the race though.

the first was the sidewall of the tyre failing and detaching from the main plain, and the second was the actual plain rupturing.

maybe because it was subject to very high temperatures, more than usual, and very high wind speeds. probably same for Alonso's DRS
Last edited by Alonso Fan on 21 Apr 2013, 22:38, edited 1 time in total.
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

henra
henra

Redragon wrote: I agree, they have to try it otherwise we will be saying now why they didn't try it.
Although they could have been more prudent by trying it later in the stint, in the early time window for the next stop. That way they could have avoided an additional stop. Missing DRS is not a huge problem: Vettel couldn't use it at all the entire race. :mrgreen:
But as always: Hindsight is 20/20.

Alonso Fan

henra wrote:
Redragon wrote: I agree, they have to try it otherwise we will be saying now why they didn't try it.
Although they could have been more prudent by trying it later in the stint, in the early time window for the next stop. That way they could have avoided an additional stop. Missing DRS is not a huge problem: Vettel couldn't use it at all the entire race. :mrgreen:
But as always: Hindsight is 20/20.
yes but vettel had no one behind him for 10 miles!
i'm sure if alonso would have been at the front then not having DRS would be a problem for vettel
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord