2014 too slow? (or not, as the case may be)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
munudeges
munudeges

Re: 2014 too slow? (or not, as the case may be)

The one second gap in Bahrain that gave everyone warm fuzzies was an anomaly at that circuit. These cars are at least three seconds slower.
Last edited by munudeges on 15 Mar 2014, 18:30, edited 1 time in total.

SectorOne

Will be interesting to see the gap at Monza.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Artur Craft

beelsebob wrote: Alternatively... Comparing times when no one was pushing at all, is bullshit.
Yeah, that's why I was waiting for qualifying. For a precise comparison, on a dry circuit. Unfortunately, that will have to wait

But, anyway, I doubt they would improve their FP3 times by more than 2s(and that's stretching it a lot). The cars really seem to be a lot slower in a Melbourne-like track. But I think there will be big variations according to track layout

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

I'm seriously worried about the race, I think we could see a procession of everyone just driving to their fuel limits and never pushing. I hear Merc are good on fuel but the other teams are strugglying... Hopefully now.

Quali was brilliant today, I just love seeing the drivers fighting with the car. It has rejuvenated my interest in F1 which was waning. Just these pesky fuel limits now.

Sulman
Sulman

JimClarkFan wrote:I'm seriously worried about the race, I think we could see a procession of everyone just driving to their fuel limits and never pushing. I hear Merc are good on fuel but the other teams are strugglying... Hopefully now.

Quali was brilliant today, I just love seeing the drivers fighting with the car. It has rejuvenated my interest in F1 which was waning. Just these pesky fuel limits now.
The SC obviously helped, but that was a great Grand Prix.

These cars are certainly very interesting to watch. There's some moaning about the noise, but honestly I think on the whole it's a great formula.

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

Sulman wrote:
JimClarkFan wrote:I'm seriously worried about the race, I think we could see a procession of everyone just driving to their fuel limits and never pushing. I hear Merc are good on fuel but the other teams are strugglying... Hopefully now.

These cars are certainly very interesting to watch. There's some moaning about the noise, but honestly I think on the whole it's a great formula.
The cars are great, I'm loving the lack of traction and watching the drivers actually driving... however, replacing Red Bull for Mercedes as the dominant force (although a welcome change of pace) will start to grate eventually as well. It looks like they have at least half a second in race mode over the rest of the field.

beelsebob
beelsebob

JimClarkFan wrote:
Sulman wrote:

The cars are great, I'm loving the lack of traction and watching the drivers actually driving... however, replacing Red Bull for Mercedes as the dominant force (although a welcome change of pace) will start to grate eventually as well. It looks like they have at least half a second in race mode over the rest of the field.
Half a second? More like 2 seconds tbh. Rosberg was casually pulling out 1.5 seconds a lap on Ricciardo, despite Ricciardo using too much fuel, and driving relatively hard to try to keep ahead of the McLarens.

Fwiw, other than the dominance of one team, I'm loving watching the drivers actually earn their pay cheque. They're getting the tails out much more often, and it seems like it's possible for a following driver to pressure a leader into a mistake now.

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

beelsebob wrote: Half a second? More like 2 seconds tbh. Rosberg was casually pulling out 1.5 seconds a lap on Ricciardo, despite Ricciardo using too much fuel, and driving relatively hard to try to keep ahead of the McLarens.

Fwiw, other than the dominance of one team, I'm loving watching the drivers actually earn their pay cheque. They're getting the tails out much more often, and it seems like it's possible for a following driver to pressure a leader into a mistake now.
Me too, it's great. You know what I also like, the fact that I can hear tyres squealing, or the whistle going every time a person enters the pit lane. All these extra things just allow feel it better.

Sevach
Sevach

Rosberg was as dominant as Vettel in Singapore last year when he decided to give everything he had.
The worst part is i don't think he was giving everything he had...
When Hamilton and Rosberg start pushing each other we will see how fast they really are.

I hope Mercedes lets both drivers go for it, otherwise it's going to be a loooong season.

SectorOne

They will let them race under normal circumstances. Paddy said he was actually hoping that they would race each other in Australia but that went out the window as the lights went out.

LOL = "The tires was getting cold so i had to push sometimes" - Rosberg
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

munudeges
munudeges

SectorOne wrote:Will be interesting to see the gap at Monza.
Why would Monza be important? Anybody expecting to see higher speeds at Monza are going to be very disappointed. These engines produce less power at higher RPM than the V8s did because they rev lower and have to be geared longer accordingly. They meet in the middle, in other words.

beelsebob
beelsebob

munudeges wrote:
SectorOne wrote:Will be interesting to see the gap at Monza.
Why would Monza be important? Anybody expecting to see higher speeds at Monza are going to be very disappointed. These engines produce less power at higher RPM than the V8s did because they rev lower and have to be geared longer accordingly. They meet in the middle, in other words.
Except, as we've already seen at the Bahrain tests, they do indeed hit much higher speeds thanks to vastly increased torque even at "high" revs, and gearing.

Juzh

I seriously doubt we'll see THAT much higher speeds. Race top speeds were quite pathetic in australia for nearly all the cars (http://184.106.145.74/f1-championship/f ... ap_V01.pdf) in the self-sustaining ERS mode and all the fuel savings (just look at rosberg, even he topped only 300), while in quali you don't get slipstream. We've seen cars hitting rev limiters much harder during the race in monza than during quali.

SectorOne

Juzh wrote:I seriously doubt we'll see THAT much higher speeds. Race top speeds were quite pathetic in australia for nearly all the cars (http://184.106.145.74/f1-championship/f ... ap_V01.pdf) in the self-sustaining ERS mode and all the fuel savings (just look at rosberg, even he topped only 300), while in quali you don't get slipstream. We've seen cars hitting rev limiters much harder during the race in monza than during quali.
Are we looking at the same data?

Magnussen had a higher top speed in the race then Quali.
Bottas had a 5km/h deficit qual to race.
Kvyat had a .5km/h deficit
Alonso a 6km/h deficit

Not so sure i would call it pathetic exactly. Also keep in mind Rosberg´s gearing is very very long.
So adding fuel and you´ll end up having a harder time then someone who´s got a short gearing (Bottas).

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

Bottas' Williams isn't short geared. Have a look at 0:16 of this video, where you can see that the telemetry shows a speed of 295km/h and a rev of 10393 which means that he could reach a theoretical speed of 15000/10393*295km/h = ~425km/h if he had enough power for that. This 425km/h matches perfectly with other onboard telemetry videos of the McLaren and Mercedes cars, who also show a theoretical speed of ~425km/h in top gear.

Edit: I had a look at other onboard videos and calculated further speeds at 15000 rpm in top gear.

Williams, McLaren, Mercedes (7th gear): 425km/h
Toro Rosso: 435km/h
Force India: 427km/h (7th gear at display on the steering wheel !!)
Lotus: 423km/h
Red Bull: 422km/h

Marussia: 363km/h (7th gear, didn't use 8th in the onboard videos)
Ferrari: no onboard telemetry until now

If there are any onboards for the Marussia or Ferrari that show the use of the 8th gear, please let me know.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_rapabFBaI[/youtube]
Last edited by Blanchimont on 21 Mar 2014, 13:52, edited 2 times in total.
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)