[WEC 2015]Nissan GT-R LM NISMO

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

Re: [WEC 2015]Nissan GT-R LM NISMO

Early days but they are no encouraging.

aleks_ader

But COX (team manager and expecially PR guy) said that they will be slow on test and we need to judge them after 1st tire and fuel stint on race day.

So they recongnize their hybrid setback and they need nurse or optimize their performance. Whatever that "performance" means we dont now. Anyway so give then a little breathing space.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

machin

wesley123 wrote:
joseff wrote:I think they'll be fine come quali. 500+hp and 2MJ is what Audi had last year.
And the aero has to be better, that's the whole point of the design.
The aero isn't "better", it is lower drag.
I think they might quietly phase out the low drag/downforce configuration... According to Ben Bowlby in the latest Race Tech magazine:-
Ben Bowlby wrote:The rear wing run will only be a single element
I can't find a very good picture... but this one from Dailysportscar looks like it has a twin-element rear wing to me....?

COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

wesley123
wesley123

I guess that since they don't run the rear ERS system their car is severely comprimised already.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

machin

Yeah... my prediction is that this car won't show any real promise until it is running the rear ERS to give them 4WD...

....despite what they would have you believe...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq8I0_wygpI[/youtube]

Actual race pace will be interesting; having all the motive power and most of the braking forces through the front wheels surely can't help their tyre longevity... something the other teams have been working hard to improve.... 4WD will allow them to address that issue....

Couple that with (I suspect) a move away from the low downforce configuration and I think in a year or so we'll only really be left with the front engine part to really separate it from the others, and I don't see any problem (nor advantage) with that... the only question for me is whether their front diffusers are as good as they say they are.....

wesley123
wesley123

I'm certainly interested in the tire wear they'll have. Not only are cornering + braking forces applied through the front tires, but also power.

I guess it will reduce the wear on the rears, but I doubt it would be good for the front tires.

As for car design, I'm not so certain if they'll change their design drastically. the FWD layout does really seem to favor the low-drag design with the big tunnels, but I'm not certain it would work high-downforce wise. The engine seriously limits splitter area, and that is exactly where they'd need the downforce due to the change in balance.

It'll be interesting to see how they fare in the race, and how it fares next year. With the rear ERS I'm certain the low-drag design would be the way to go for them. I don't think they'll ever be fastest over a single lap, but less fuel consumption would mean less time in the pits, and that is a good position to make up time.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

aleks_ader

wesley123 wrote:I'm certainly interested in the tire wear they'll have. Not only are cornering + braking forces applied through the front tires, but also power.

I guess it will reduce the wear on the rears, but I doubt it would be good for the front tires.

As for car design, I'm not so certain if they'll change their design drastically. the FWD layout does really seem to favor the low-drag design with the big tunnels, but I'm not certain it would work high-downforce wise. The engine seriously limits splitter area, and that is exactly where they'd need the downforce due to the change in balance.

It'll be interesting to see how they fare in the race, and how it fares next year. With the rear ERS I'm certain the low-drag design would be the way to go for them. I don't think they'll ever be fastest over a single lap, but less fuel consumption would mean less time in the pits, and that is a good position to make up time.
But if you carry less speed throw corners is more ineffective acceleration- All is balancing act. Maybe their figures for Satre will work enough i little uncertain here...
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

machin

wesley123 wrote:I'm certainly interested in the tire wear they'll have. Not only are cornering + braking forces applied through the front tires, but also power.
Isn't that what I said? :P
machin wrote:...having all the motive power and most of the braking forces through the front wheels...
I don't think they'll ever be fastest over a single lap, but less fuel consumption would mean less time in the pits, and that is a good position to make up time.
My own experiences tell me low drag and its effects on fuel consumption on a racecar are overrated. On a road car where you are forced to drive at a steady speed most of the time by speed limits then low drag does follow through to lower fuel consumption.. but on a racecar fuel consumption is dominated by the engine power, efficiency and time spent at full throttle (i.e. fuel being used to accelerate the car, not just overcome the steady-state drag forces). Couple that with the fact that (at Le Mans in particular) in order to gain something from low fuel consumption you need to save a whole laps' worth of fuel to really make any difference to a race (i.e. try to save one or more pit stops over the race duration).

joseff

https://youtu.be/fw_2N3tGMEg

They're expecting 3 stints out of the front tyres, 6-10 out of the rears.

George-Jung
George-Jung

Slightly offtopic, but for those who own a PS3 with GT6..
Round 4 (Final Round) of the GT Academy 2015 online event is now available within the PlayStation®3-exclusive title "Gran Turismo 6". This is the Final Qualification Round. The participants of this round can obtain the Nissan GT-R LM NISMO in the game for free by completing a lap regardless of the lap time...
http://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/news/00_4439755.html
It will probably be the closest you can get to actually know how it drives.. :wink:

machin

joseff wrote:https://youtu.be/fw_2N3tGMEg

Weren't the Audi's doing 4 stints per tyre set last year? The fact is that the total contact area on the GTR's is much lower than the total contact area on a Toyota/Porsche/Audi (the fronts are the same size, and the rears are much smaller), so regardless of the weight distribution and power deployment (FWD vs RWD vs 4WD) their tyres are going to be more heavily loaded overall... heavily biasing the loads one way or the other (forwards in the GTRLM's case) can only make the situation worse.

In short: I don't see them having a tyre longevity advantage -quite the opposite.

FW17

The engine does only 6500 rpm????

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

machin wrote:
joseff wrote:https://youtu.be/fw_2N3tGMEg

Weren't the Audi's doing 4 stints per tyre set last year? The fact is that the total contact area on the GTR's is much lower than the total contact area on a Toyota/Porsche/Audi (the fronts are the same size, and the rears are much smaller), so regardless of the weight distribution and power deployment (FWD vs RWD vs 4WD) their tyres are going to be more heavily loaded overall... heavily biasing the loads one way or the other (forwards in the GTRLM's case) can only make the situation worse.

In short: I don't see them having a tyre longevity advantage -quite the opposite.
Audi have done 5 stints on a set before.

SiLo

This gives a great breakdown on the car and their reasons for doing certain things too. It's a great eye opener and shows their thinking behind a lot of aspects of the car.
Felipe Baby!

SectorOne

machin wrote:Actual race pace will be interesting; having all the motive power and most of the braking forces through the front wheels surely can't help their tyre longevity... something the other teams have been working hard to improve.... 4WD will allow them to address that issue....
Chief engineer believes they can do 3 stints on the fronts and between 6-10 stints on the rears.

*Jay Leno´s garage.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"