Anybody have pics of F1 engine internals

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
wiley
wiley

Anybody have pics of F1 engine internals

Does anybody have Detailed shots of engine internals on a modern formula 1 engine?

manchild
manchild

http://www.cia.gov/

Just kidding :wink:

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Sweet, nice cams, hollow tube, and even the inside of the lobes are hollowed out to reduce mass. And the pistons with almost no skirts.. I wonder what the 2 race pistons look like, I expect larger skirts. And what is the green on the side sof the skirts? Some form of friction reducing coating?

riff_raff
riff_raff

And what about that single compression ring?

Here's a manufacturer of Ti rods for F1:

http://www.pankl.com/en/products/racing ... e_systems/

Do the injectors just squirt in mid air, not inside the actual cylinder?

manchild
manchild

Anonymous wrote:Do the injectors just squirt in mid air, not inside the actual cylinder?
Yes they squirt when they are turned on :lol:

Seriously, they squirt in mid air. The variable length trumpets you see on that pic from Scarbs are in the position of highest rpm - they go upwards, closer to injectors when the engine is on lower rpm, when the vacuum is high and when the engine needs torque and elasticity. On high rpm the trumpets need to be as short as possible.

So when the piston goes down it creates suction and that sucks the fuel and air in?

I don't understand how changing the height makes a difference tho :?

And when air is rushing in doesnt the fuel get blown all over the place??

manchild
manchild

Yes, pistons going down creates huge suction – 600 liters of air per second at top speeds. Injectors are not spraying all over the place but just above the trumpet and all of that gets sucked by engine. The spraying isn’t wider than the trumpet but narrower than trumpet in lowest position so the injector never sprays anywhere else but in the trumpet.
Last edited by manchild on 18 Dec 2005, 00:52, edited 1 time in total.

Ah rite.

thanks manchild

Bender
Bender

There is a great movie clip of an F1 engine on a dyno and you can see the fuel vapour jumping between the trumpets

manchild
manchild

Bender wrote:There is a great movie clip of an F1 engine on a dyno and you can see the fuel vapour jumping between the trumpets
I've seen it before and tired to find it having in mind that it would be worth to guest more than my words but no luck...

manchild
manchild

Pistons and especially rods haven't changed that much. The ones from above are from 2001 Cosworth and the ones below are from old Cosworth V8.

http://videos.streetfire.net/Player.asp ... 0C3293&p=0

That shows it.

Why dont they use some kind of direct injection? surely they dont have 100% control over the fuel when its like that???

manchild
manchild

Anonymous wrote:Why dont they use some kind of direct injection? surely they dont have 100% control over the fuel when its like that???
Banned by FIA

I WANT THE VIDEO !!!!! WHO HAS IT FOR DOWNLOAD AS A FILE ?

The smoke coming from the trmpets is vapourized fuel, i remember an article saying that the vibration from the trmpets made the fuel atomization very high...