Ferrari SF23

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Vanja #66

Re: Ferrari SF23

organic wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 11:32
Rosario Giuliana 📸

https://i.imgur.com/75uWYs2.jpeg
The one RosF1 marked as MIA here is actually from Austria and first used in Viorano Filming day 2. :)
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

scuderiabrandon

It was reported by Ferrari that they've made changes to the SP undercut. I've spent a good chunk of my weekend looking at photos and this is the closest I've come to spotting any changes in the undercut.

Look at the fillet radius after the SIS bulge

Could be shadows aswell idk, Am I clutching at straws here. Thoughts?

Vanja #66

scuderiabrandon wrote:
24 Sep 2023, 14:32
It was reported by Ferrari that they've made changes to the SP undercut. I've spent a good chunk of my weekend looking at photos and this is the closest I've come to spotting any changes in the undercut.

Look at the fillet radius after the SIS bulge

Could be shadows aswell idk, Am I clutching at straws here. Thoughts?

https://ibb.co/4NRGLct
When mentioned in relation to the floor, like here, it is usually the floor-sidepod joint line that was slightly changed in some way. The inner end of the floor inlet is lower now, so that area of the floor is changed to adapt to existing sidepod bodywork.

#Aerogimli
#BlessYouLaddie

Farnborough
Farnborough

It seems, generally all teams, that they're all moving the intake, maybe in subtle terms, and in the area of the pinch point around the mousehole to manipulate the characteristics of the floor negative load and the response curve that brings.

I can't immediately see anything much in the way of changes in the two pictures above.

On board CL qualli lap here, you could here the chassis gently running into porpoising (the cadence is a familiar one from tyre resonance) and sometimes running in more continuous light contact with track under peak speed condition.

It seems a little more without vices in this current detail, not quite as fast as front of grid, but more consistently a good basis to monitor and improve, rather than just trying to squeeze it into submission.

It does appear they understand more where there's issue or gain to focus on, a little more matured view with a calmer more clinical approach. I think it will make second in WCC if it follows in this direction to season end.

organic

In Japan, Ferrari has introduced a new floor modified in all areas: from the fences to the diffuser.
https://formu1a.uno/ferrari-la-sf-23-e- ... -mercedes/

zioture
zioture

Formula 1 Garage Episode 177 - Ferrari Upgrade at Suzuka: How Does the New Floor Work?"

"All the technical innovations, in-depth insights into the world of Formula 1 technology, both past and present. Analysis with illustrations and videos, from chassis to aerodynamics. Articles written by industry engineers.

Episode 177 Index

Ferrari Performance Analysis in Japan
How does the new Ferrari floor work?
Red Bull Updates"
Hehe video with english subitles :

gordonthegun

Isn't the underfloor a part of the car that can be improved and used next year too?
So, why not to develop and use it in the next races? Budget cap?

scuderiabrandon

gordonthegun wrote:
27 Sep 2023, 17:32
Isn't the underfloor a part of the car that can be improved and used next year too?
So, why not to develop and use it in the next races? Budget cap?

There could be a multituude of reasons

The floor works in unison with other aero devices and surfaces. So developing a floor inline with RedBull's vortex tunnel concept might not yield the same performance gains with our current chassis and sidepod design.

Vanja #66

There is absolutely no way any team will carry over the floor next year. Rear wings and beam wings are surprising enough, or at least that both these segments are transfered and not only one. Other than that, very very hard, bit possibly the rear brake ducts can be used as early spec, as long as you keep the same aero philosophy - which Ferrari confirmed will not be their case.

It was also basically confirmed Ferrari will have a new gearbox (case) due to switching to push rod rear. That means new diffuser. It is also 99.99% sure they will move the lower SIS tube to the floor, so the whole front has to go. No matter what you do, you won't be able to make new front and new rear work with old middle section of the floor :mrgreen:

#Aerogimli
#BlessYouLaddie

ringo

This new floor has high peak downforce. It's also as higher overall suction/ efficiency over the whole speed range.
Why i say this is floor edge just ahead of the rear wheel. The edge piece is now opened at the back. Before this it was convexed at the top or concave underneath and flattened off to create a little pocket. Now its jus like a corrugation open right to the back of the floor edge. This is to reduct stagnation and circulation when the floor edge piece comes down to the ground. The air will flow out the back and maintain air movement and thus reduced pressure at the floor edge. Very subtle but important change.
For Sure!!

Zynerji

Vanja #66 wrote:
27 Sep 2023, 23:08
There is absolutely no way any team will carry over the floor next year. Rear wings and beam wings are surprising enough, or at least that both these segments are transfered and not only one. Other than that, very very hard, bit possibly the rear brake ducts can be used as early spec, as long as you keep the same aero philosophy - which Ferrari confirmed will not be their case.

It was also basically confirmed Ferrari will have a new gearbox (case) due to switching to push rod rear. That means new diffuser. It is also 99.99% sure they will move the lower SIS tube to the floor, so the whole front has to go. No matter what you do, you won't be able to make new front and new rear work with old middle section of the floor :mrgreen:

While I agree that it isn't a bolt- on transfer due to changing bodywork seams, how reasonable is it to transfer the tunnel "impression" to the new car?

dialtone
dialtone

They mostly need correlation, which they showed they have with how the car has been doing with the updates. They have designs from red bull that they likely developed this year and will be the starting point for next year. Whatever testing they might need, they are probably already doing.

As usual, they are a good team, have almost always been in the top 3 in 70 years. They know what they are doing, despite how much of a lemon this year’s car was.

The one problem everyone had is porpoising and hopefully that’s somewhat behind everyone, as Newey said, everyone spent resources fixing porpoising while RBR had barely any and could focus on development. If that’s solved and they can develop away from track knowing they won’t trigger it, they will be fine.

Vanja #66

Zynerji wrote:
28 Sep 2023, 01:17
While I agree that it isn't a bolt- on transfer due to changing bodywork seams, how reasonable is it to transfer the tunnel "impression" to the new car?
Maybe some parts of the underbody geometry remain the same, but the complete shape will not remain the same on any car. It simply brings too much performance to be left out, especially since in-season development is done by changing local features (edges, inlet strakes, bits of diffuser, etc) more often than complete overall geometry. This means it's very smart to start with a whole new floor and improve it in parts as long as possible and guarantees minimal development investment.

#Aerogimli
#BlessYouLaddie

hollus

Speculation about next year's development path is perhaps better suited to the team thread?
Rivals, not enemies.

gordonthegun

Let's not speculate!

Here is a nice piece of hardware of this year Ferrari on display in the pits of Quatar (courtesy of Albert Fabrega):