Speeduino or Ktag?

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
coaster

Speeduino or Ktag?

Hello, I am hoping a few of formula sae guys who visit may offer some help, ive got a cbr600rr motor and want to put longer intake runners, 38mm throttle blades and a compact y header exhaust manifold.
The Speeduino and the Ktag ecu both seem to rely on Tuner Pro software which has token system for buying ecu maps, not free.
I thought Speeduino would be completely free of this problem, would you guys just buy a ktag and flash Bosch ecu?
Another problem is the rpm limit inside the ecu, i dont have the original honda ecu with the M32R chip, maybe i could just use a Mitsubishi or Toyota ecu which has the M32R chip?
Thoughts?

coaster

Re: Speeduino or Ktag?

Ok, i think ive sussed out the direction to in.
The Ktag is a really powerful tool that can make any factory computer perform like a top shelf aftermarket, but, the firmware and the host software are licensed to Alientech.
The purchase of module is the cheapest item, costs snowball after this.
China makes copies, but they need an original to clone the firmware from.
Ktag has just been discontinued, i hope that the hackers and makers of the world give the Ktag a life of its own now, it could do so much more for grassroots racing.
The biggest issue i face with a cbr600rr motor is the redline, most factory car ecu's max out at 10,000ish, some bosch 14,000ish.
And factory limits are information that is seldom shared.
To go higher rpm one must overclock the cpu with a different frequency crystal, this can play havoc with the firmware making it unreliable.

The answer is Speeduino, the cpu speeds for Arduino mega comes at many levels.
The Speeduino board is simply the relay box for the motor, also, information sharing is the key.

Zynerji

I think the Speeduino has a place on Hackaday.com with tons of info. They also had some fpga boards for real-time controllers iirc.

etusch

coaster

Thumbs up for that link.
His microcontroller is integral with the 'relay' side of the design and packaged in a similar to a factory sized unit.
The guys quite a perfectionist, I wonder how much of the market they will have?